Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

2013 Southern Scuffle information...notice a new team?

Dates: January 1-2 (means I'll be spending my New Year's in Chattanooga again!)

Teams (ranking is final NCAA Championships ranking, followed by Dual Impact Index Dual-Component final ranking):

[font=]Penn State (1, 1)

[font=]South Dakota State (0Q, 75)

Cleveland State (0Q, 70)

21 schools? There use to be a few more correct?

Are they going to add anymore schools or is this everyone?

They only can fit eight mats inside McKenzie Arena (and it's a fairly tight fit), whereas the Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center would lay down ten mats and had plenty of room to spare. That's the difference in terms of the number of teams.

Great pick up with Okie St.

On another note why did Missouri and Appie out perform the index so much? As usual at the end of season things evened out fairly well in many cases.

Missouri greatly underperformed the index at NCAA's. In fact, if I recall correctly, they had no AA's at NCAA.

Appalachian State had their two best wrestlers perform quite well at NCAA's. As the Dual Component ranking is a dual-based system (albeit one that takes individual performances in tournaments into account), two wrestlers are not going to take an otherwise-mediocre team and flip much more than a couple of matches. It takes 4-7 matches to win a dual (the exact number depending on the circumstances).

They only can fit eight mats inside McKenzie Arena (and it's a fairly tight fit), whereas the Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center would lay down ten mats and had plenty of room to spare. That's the difference in terms of the number of teams.

Not sure how many teams last year but it was more than 21. Most of the weight classes had more than 32 and the tournament went off without to many hitches. I especially liked the part of the score board that showed the next 4 (or maybe it was 5) matches that would be on each mat.

Not sure how many teams last year but it was more than 21. Most of the weight classes had more than 32 and the tournament went off without to many hitches. I especially liked the part of the score board that showed the next 4 (or maybe it was 5) matches that would be on each mat.

23 last year, to be exact.

2013 Scuffle press release

January 1st & 2nd in Chattanooga TN;

2013 Southern Scuffle Participants

(by finish at the 2012 NCAA Championships) (RED = NEW Teams)

1 - Penn State

2 - Minnesota

4 - Cornell

5 - Oklahoma State

11 - Virginia Tech

19 - American

21 - Appalachian State

26 - Missouri

28 - Virginia

33 - Ohio

41 - Army

44 - NC State

48 - Navy

51 - UTC

54 - North Carolina

55 - Old Dominion

56 - Arizona State

59 - Campbell

64 - Duke

South Dakota State

Cleveland State

2012 teams not participating

Gardner-Webb

Hofstra

Indiana

Oregon State

The Citadel

Key wrestlers

Remember at the SS teams are allowed to enter 15 wrestlers

125 - Nico Megaludis (PSU), Alan Waters (MIZZ), Steve Bonnano (HOF), Matt Snyder (UVA), Jarrod Garnett (VT), David Thorn (MN), Jon Morrison (OSU), Ladd Rupp (OSU-2), Gabe Ramos (Ohio), Coltin Fought (NC St)

133 - Chris Dardanes (MN), Nick Soto (UTC), Nick Arujau (COR), Joe Spisak (UVA), Jordan Thome (Army)

141 - Jordan Oliver (OSU), Devin Carter (VT), Nick Dardanes (MN), Mike Nevinger (COR), Evan Henderson (UNC)

149 - Dylan Ness (MN), Andrew Alton (PSU), Justin Accordino (HOF), Chris Villalonga (COR), Josh Kindig (OSU), Kyle Bradley (MIZZ)

157 - Kyle Dake (COR), Dylan Alton (PSU), Corey Mock (UNC), Drake Houdashelt (MIZZ), John Nicholson (ODU)

165 - David Taylor (PSU), Tyler Caldwell (OSU), Peter Yates (VT), PJ Gillespie (HOF), Cody Yohn (MN). Marshall Peppleman (COR), Zach Toal (MIZZ), Jake Schalles (Navy)

174 - Chris Perry (OSU), Logan Storley (MN), Matt Brown (PSU), Oscar Huntley (NAVY)

184 - Ed Ruth (PSU), Kevin Steinhaus (MN), Steve Bosak (COR), Jon Fausey (UVA), Mike Larson (MIZZ)

197 - Quentin Wright (PSU), Brent Haynes (MIZZ), Scott Schiller (MN), Jake Blake Rosholt (OSU), Danny Mitchell (AU)

285 - Tony Nelson (MN), Alan Gelogaev (OSU), Dom Bradley (MIZZ), Nick Gwiazdowski (NC St), Jeremy Johnson (Ohio), Levi Cooper (ASU), Jimmy Lawson (PSU)

NOTES:

Looks like we have 7 former NCAA champs & 10 former finalists & at least 20 AAs.

I didn't actually do an an exact tally on those numbers just memory so excuse if I got any wrong.

So this year will the SS be a tougher tournament than CKI or Midlands?

It's great to see OK St. back at one of the mid season tournaments. The Cowboys have a very interesting schedule this season competing at MSG, hosting Penn, and taking on the Southern Scuffle.

(PS: At least for now, I'm no longer comfortable using Okie St. after reading Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath, Ch. 18).

^^^There's talk around the Cavaliers' campfire about Jon Fausey thinking of going 174 this coming season. I wonder if Fausey will be at 174 for the Scuffle. We shall see. Also, I see Gabe Ramos listed above as key wrestler. This past season he was about 6-12 for the year and I think 0-2 at the MAC. Is Ramos predicted at 100% ready to rock and roll in 2013??

yeah I was just looking at the Tech schedule and it says starters to Midlands.

Scuffle is actually not even listed on the schedule at all-which doesn't necessarily mean non starters wouldn't be going, guys often get matches at events not on 'team' schedule. But maybe there is more to it?

yeah I was just looking at the Tech schedule and it says starters to Midlands.

Scuffle is actually not even listed on the schedule at all-which doesn't necessarily mean non starters wouldn't be going, guys often get matches at events not on 'team' schedule. But maybe there is more to it?

If they send all of their wrestlers to the Hokie Open unattached, they'll have the free date for the Scuffle. Remember, when you're counting dates, National Duals is exempted, but for the Scuffle, they need two in this case, due to them having both Midlands and the Virginia Duals on their slate as their two two-day events.

^^^There's talk around the Cavaliers' campfire about Jon Fausey thinking of going 174 this coming season. I wonder if Fausey will be at 174 for the Scuffle. We shall see. Also, I see Gabe Ramos listed above as key wrestler. This past season he was about 6-12 for the year and I think 0-2 at the MAC. Is Ramos predicted at 100% ready to rock and roll in 2013??
I just like the name Ramos...

285 is just sick....

I think I'd add 149 Gus Sako UVA and 165 Nick Sulzer UVA both round of 16 Plus 2011 AA Derek Valenti 149. Maybe Sako 141??
I was going to but I wasn't sure about who was transferring or leaving UVA or VT. All those Ohio kids going to Virginia....