Sign in to follow this  
nom

184 this coming season

Gabe Dean came in and surprised many with his performance last year.  Highest returning placer this coming season and will be a sophomore.  I'm not following things all that well but I believe there is a super stud freshman coming in this year right …. Snyder?  Sorry if I have this wrong.  Anyone care to lay out who the likely top 3-5 will be in 184 this coming year?  Perspectives on likely champ?

I haven't looked across the board, but just in the EIWA, I'm pretty sure AA's Ophir Bernstein (Brown) and Lorenzo Thomas (Penn) are back.  Lehigh insiders are saying Nate Brown will be at 184, and are high on his chances.

Outside of the EIWA, you have Jack Dechow from ODU, and don't overlook Max Thomusseit from Pitt.

If I have to guess, I'd say Dean and  Dechow should be the early season #1&2, returning AA's Thomas and Bernstein will be 3&4, and who knows after that?

BTW, source for some of above - Stove Pipe's WR Summer Atlantic Rankings at http://wrestlingreport.com/current_news/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51061

Good stuff!

Edited by redblades

Considering Nate Brown has wins over Thomas ,Bernstein, Dechow, Thomusseit and lost to Dean in a disputed OT decision, I'd say he has an early claim to #2.

I believe he lost to Thomusseit 7-3 in their most recent meeting (Clarion Open last season).  And I don't see that he' wrestled Dechow, at least not in college.

I figure 6th behind Thomusseit is about right to start off, if he's better than that, he'll have plenty of opportunities to prove it!

What weight will Snyder be?  Any incoming freshman at this weight that has a reasonable shot to AA?  (I know folks hate to project freshman as AAs).

Thanks for the info above.  Dechow was opened some eyes at NCAAs.  

Brown is good but for some reason I'm not expecting much from him.  

What weight will Snyder be?  Any incoming freshman at this weight that has a reasonable shot to AA?  (I know folks hate to project freshman as AAs).

Thanks for the info above.  Dechow was opened some eyes at NCAAs.  

Brown is good but for some reason I'm not expecting much from him.  

nom, as previously noted Snyder will not be at 184. He wrestled 220 in HS in Maryland. 197 is where folks have him for college. 

Not sure what buck was using as a reference document, but below is a link to Nate Brown's 2013-14 results, his RS season.  Next year, he will be a RS Junior.

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/lehigh/view_wrestler_bouts.php?start=819&season=2014

Answering questions above:

Losses were to:  Thomusseit, 7-3; Dean, 8-6; and Sheptock, 5-3 OT.

Wins over AAs:  Thomas, 7-4;   TF over Bernstein, 17-2

Would Gade Dean not be the odds on favorite here? The guy reminds me of Mark Shultz! I saw someone say Synder but other than Snyder coming down noone is beating Dean. Can't imagine Snyder being at 184.  

Edited by PRyan2012

I'd think Brown would be a beast at 174.  That would allow Riddick to man 184.  Riddick jumping from 174 to 197 in a year seems to be a bit of a stretch.  The following year I'd expect to see Brown at 184 and Riddick at 197.

i'm looking forward to 184 next year. its usually one of my favorite weight classes, and despite 2 of my favorite guys being gone (Ruth and Sheptock), there are a bunch of guys that are back that can compete. 

i have Dean as the favorite but there are at least 8 others who all challenge. Thomusseit, Brown, Dechow, Thomas, Bernstein, Stauffer, Bernstein, and Courts, probably in the order, but not with much certainty as i wouldn't be be much surprised no matter what order everyone finished in.  

then there are the guys that i've undoubtedly missed that step up as the season goes on, like the Iowa guy (guys?) who's name escaped me at the moment. yup, should be fun. 

I'd think Brown would be a beast at 174.  That would allow Riddick to man 184.  Riddick jumping from 174 to 197 in a year seems to be a bit of a stretch.  The following year I'd expect to see Brown at 184 and Riddick at 197.

-  Old school thinking at it's worst.    

I think Dechow will be pretty tough to beat.  He had a pretty tough injury at the start of last year but once he was recovered, he didn't lose much and was darn close to being in the finals.

Iowa and Minnesota have two young guys breaking into their lineups this upcoming season. Sammy Brooks and Brett Pfarr have shown they could finish on the AA podium.

I think Dean will widen the gap this season. Dechow has an outside shot but I am not sure he has near the quality practice partners and support staff at Old Dominion that Dean has at Cornell.

184 should be fun to watch as 3-12 is wide open.

-  Old school thinking at it's worst.    

Not as old school as you might think.  All depends on how hard the cut to 174 was prior to his RS year, his in season walking around weight and his weight after practice.  Prior to Riddick showing up, Brown could pretty much choose where he wanted to go.  I guess a lot will depend on if Riddick put on enough weight to man 197 and whether he can keep up with Brown.

MSU158  Not sure what it takes to be a "Quality practice partner" but I believe Dechow practices with a recent olympian every day and then when he is tired they just bring in a past AA? But maybe Cornell has olympic champions for Dean, in which case you are correct.

MSU158  Not sure what it takes to be a "Quality practice partner" but I believe Dechow practices with a recent olympian every day and then when he is tired they just bring in a past AA? But maybe Cornell has olympic champions for Dean, in which case you are correct.

Care to use guys actual names for those of us who aren't familiar with the post-grads in the ODU room?

Geez guys, I prefaced the comment with "I am not sure". That IMPLIES I am far less familiar with Old Dominion. I know Dean has spent a lot of time with Cam Simaz, has Damian Hahn in his corner and has easy access to a top notch RTC. With that in mind, I simply stated that I wasn't sure Dechow had comparable practice partners. Instead of cherry picking my post feel free to be helpful and simply state what Dechow has to work with.

Feel free to read any of my past posts. I don't intend to insult or malign anyone. I stated an opinion and pointed out where I lacked in first hand knowledge. Instead of perceiving a slight that wasn't there use it as a chance to give everyone more insight to the ODU program.

Edited by MSU158

Ok I am a little sensitive I guess, sorry.  Alex Dolly is currently ranked 18th in the world and wrestled for the Ireland olympic team in the last olympics.  He is an outstanding coach and an outstanding work out partner for Jack. It just seems to me at times if you are not on one of the Big ten teams, or Cornell, than people assume you don't have the competition or the coaches to be good.  Just another one of those little things about college wrestling that bug me.  Nothing against anyone personally but in general.

interesting about Dolly training at ODU. news to me but appreciate the info. thanks, teach! 5th in the 2014 euros. i'll be sure to keep an eye out for him in Tashkent. i'm guessing there is an interesting story about how he competes for the Republic of Ireland and trains in Norfolk, VA. any background you can share?

Understandable. I truly meant no slight to Dechow or ODU. I was aware of Dolly when I made the post. He is definitely a quality practice partner. I simply believe Dean is in an incredibly rich situation. Having an RTC is a huge advantage. As great as Dolly is I simply pointed out that Dean has a wealth of advantages as a 184lbr that I am not sure could be matched at ODU or many other places for that matter.

those RTCs are great. helps wrestlers extend their careers post college and boosts the quality of the room for the current teams. while we're on the topic, i believe that Brown will benefit from having Hamlin at the LVAC. Hamlin impressed my at the last WTTs, which included a win over Q Wright.