Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Golden Grand Prix - Varner v Gazumov 1st round

Brackets here!

links to pdfs of the brackets in the middle of the article. 

57 - Mega v Feraim (BUL). Ampar and Khinchegashvili on the other side of the bracket

61 - No USA wrestler as the WTT was happening today at Fargo. 

65 - Metcalf v Nuhkadiev (RUS). Haislan Garcia in the semis potentially.

70 - see 61

74 - Howe v Kurbanov (UZB). Hasanov on other side of bracket.

86 - Ruth v Zvirbulis (LAT). Friev or Kudiyamagomedov in the semis potentially.

97 - Varner v Gazyumov (altho in the FILA database it's Gazumov). No Russian entered at this weight.

125 - Dlagnev v Gagloev (SVK) or Kashimoto (JPN). Shemarov and Zasieiev on the other side of the bracket.

I just mentioned the names that I recognized. I'm sure there are plenty more in the tournament that could potentially win, like those mentioned in the write up. 

No streaming link that I know of. Not clue if we'll be able to watch live. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

Varner loses 5-1

Lol, well that Varner match was a dud. Completely dominated and horsed around the mat by Gazyumov. Would have been nice to see Varner actually attempt a shot, probably wouldn't have mattered but it would have been nice to see him try!

Well, I just saw Jake lose to Gazymov. Jake didn't or couldn't get off any of his attacks. And he really couldn't counter Gazymov's leg attacks. Pretty disappointing. Hopefully it's just ring rust.

Nico lost in the semis to AZE 0-6

Metcalf beat Garcia 2-0 to reach the finals

Howe lost to Kurbanov 2-4

Ruth lost in semis to Russian Kudiyamagomedov 4-7

Dlagnev lost in semis to GEO 4-6 

All are still alive as Kurbanov made the finals.

Edited by AnklePicker

Nico wrestling Makhmud Magomedov of Azerbaijain in the bronze medal match at 57kg

Metcalf wrestling Magomed Muslimov of Azerbaijain in the gold medal match at 65kg

Howe lost 4-3 to Kamal Malikov of Russia in the repechage at 74kg

Ruth wrestling Talmuraz Friev Naskidaeva of Spain in the bronze medal match at 86kg

Varner wrestling Imants Lagodskis of Latvia in the bronze medal match at 97kg

Dlagnev wrestling Valeria Alexis Rodriguez of Azerbaijain in the bronze medal match at 125kg

Ruth's opponent was 5th at the 2013 World Championships

Dlagnev's opponent was  a 1 time world champ, 4 time world silver medalist, 1 time world bronze medalist, and 1 time olympic bronze medalist for Cuba but is now with Azerbaijain.

Varner's opponent was a 2006 junior world champion but doesn't have a lot of notable senior level finishes.

Metcalf's opponent was 5th at the golden grand prix last year.

Mega's opponent has some decent finishes at international tournaments but hasn't broken through with anything high at the world championships.

Updates:

57kg. Mega loses by tech fall 11-0 in the bronze medal match.

65kg: Metcalf down 6-0 after first. Getting in on some good shots but not finishing and giving up takedowns on the counter. 4 pt move an now a takedown to tie 6-6 with 1 min to go. And Metcalf wins Gold 6-6 on criteria.

Edited by tec87

Good job Brentcalf. Despite his constantly spotting big leads he is on a huge roll. With the recent exodus at 65 he might actually be #1 now when I update my rankings.

That Aliyev at 61 is something else too beat Dubiv by tech.

Good tournament by Garcia who beats 2 Russians to win bronze. Is now 2-2 vs Metcalf.

Varner vs Gaz was a big let down. The top three guys at this weight are just in a different league. There is no way Varner will avoid all three this year and win 97k-I am saying that right now. Varner may steal a bronze. It was like Varner was scared or something out there- he had no offense! I thought Jake was going to win today.

Feet to back makes it 4. From the knees or butt it's 2.

Hasaynov techs Kurbanov? Didn't see it but wow.

For those counting that's now at least 3 world medallists (Dubov, Scott, Kurbanov) losing by 10.

Big wins by Kudi over Lashgari and Gayzumov over the guy who beat him at the Olympics. Again misses the matches just saw results. Ruth by forfeit, Varner by tech.

Great to see Varner finish strong after 1st round loss!