Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Golden Grand Prix - Varner v Gazumov 1st round

Well looking at Varner's matches, I think he does very well with guys who lock up and go head and collar ties, and just wrestle straight on. I think Gazymov really showed that Jake is going to have to make some adjustments, and soon other wise he won't be as successful as we would like him to be.

So does the 97k champ wrestle the 125k champ?

I've only noticed that happen at the Hargobind/Clansmen tournament in Canada. I'm sure it happens elsewhere from time to time but this is the only tournament I can recall off the top of my head that does this.

I've only noticed that happen at the Hargobind/Clansmen tournament in Canada. I'm sure it happens elsewhere from time to time but this is the only tournament I can recall off the top of my head that does this.

What about the Yarygin? Thought they matched up 97 vs 125 champs there as well.

Any video links to yesterday's tournament?

Would you mind terribly posting 70,74,97 finals and Ruth's loss if you watch them? I know in being lazy but I honestly don't gave time to search.

65kg finals: http://www.dartfish.tv/Player.aspx?CR=p85865c97759m2175503&CL=1

70kg finals: http://www.dartfish.tv/Player.aspx?CR=p85865c97759m2175502&CL=1

74kg finals: http://www.dartfish.tv/Player.aspx?CR=p85865c97759m2175500&CL=1

Ruth's loss, 86kg semi: http://www.dartfish.tv/Player.aspx?CR=p85865c97759m2175007&CL=1

I think Ruth had that first takedown in the first they didn't give him and he gave away the second takedown reaching over the back.

Can't wait for Worlds

I think Ruth had that first takedown in the first they didn't give him and he gave away the second takedown reaching over the back.

Can't wait for Worlds

leg in is not a td in fs. this is one position US guys often lose because of folkstyle tendencies. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5UDaNvPcg   

Gaz dec Sharipov 8-0 at the finals of this tourney last year

Sharipov was a dominate reigning World and Olympic champ at 189 then bumps up and gets dominated here by the third best guy at 213. I think we need to cut Varner some slack-he dominated his other three matches but it is just the top three guys here are all time greats. Burroughs does not have to deal with this at 74k. Also Gatsalov bumps up and dominates the 275lb guys with ease and he would be 4th best here at 213. Varner is fighting for 3rd or 5th here to be realistic.  

Well I agree, that Ed Ruth looked pretty good.

I feel bad for Howe, looked like he pretty much dominated his first match only to give up a lake take down, and unfortunately he lost in the closing seconds in his 2nd match. I do believe though, that things will turn around for him.

Metcalf did very well, but I was hoping that he could've finished some of those legs attacks against Garcia.

As far as Varner is concerned, I remember that at the World Cup in 2012, he wrestled very poorly, yet bounced back and won Olympic Gold. So let hope for the best.

jeez, Ruth is inhuman. did you see how pooped Kudiya was at the end of their match? And Ruth is all NBD. Ruth was also the only wrestler to score on Kudiya in the tournament. really looking forward to the next 2+ years of Ruth's freestyle career.

and Yaz, Gaz and Gadis are 3 terrors, no doubt. Varner has his work cut out for him. 

Not surprising to see Kudi gas against Ruth.  They'll be the first to admit that their conditioning is about 70% of the American level. A match that could have gone either way really.  Ruth is a threat to the world title this year in my opinion.  Especially with the Professor in his corner.

The Ukrainian winning heavy was a big surprise to me.  I won't be surprised if they send him to Worlds instead of Zaseev.  His destruction of Sakandelidze was impressive. 

65 is stacked at worlds and full of parity.  Will be good. 

Well let's hope our guys & gals get good draws, and can wrestle their best. Hopefully we can get a boat load of medals. I think Kennedy, Metcalf, Ruth, Varner and Dlagnev can get onto the podium. I believe Burroughs will be atop the podium. That leaves Ramos and Marable. Ramos is a beast, but I am not sure how he stacks up against the World's best. Marable, should be okay providing his strength and endurance are up. We just have to wait and see, and hope for the best.

Metcalf did very well, but I was hoping that he could've finished some of those legs attacks against Garcia.

Metcalf had some trouble finishing against AZE in the finals, but at least he got in a lot and got in deep. Two years ago, he hit a lot of head outside shots and let the defender get the corner pretty quickly. Now most of the time, he gets in deep and sweeps around to head inside. Even if he doesn't finish he gets around the corner and doesn't give up a defensive score. 

Also in the finals Metcalf hit hist best chest-wrap against an Int'l opponent  that I can ever remember seeing. We say this every year, but this could be this year. 

edit: facts

Edited by GranbyTroll