1. 1. What Coach Has The Most Pressure To Win A Title This Upcoming Season

• Tom Ryan
    • Tom Brands
    • John Smith
    • J. Robinson
    • Rob Koll
    • Tim Flynn

This is how I see it:

1. Tom Ryan: Expectations are sky high in Buckeye land with all the talent in the lineup and if they don't bring home the title this season, there is going to be a lot of disappointment. Anything but first may expand the perception that Ryan can recruit and produce good teams but can't deliver a team championship. 

2. Tom Brands: Iowa has two #1 recruiting classes on the mat and after a 4 year drought, Hawk fans are chomping at the bit to get back to the top. Some are calling them the favorites heading into the season and I think Brands needs to win to put to rest the Zalesky comparisons and the double recruiting class talk once and for all. A championship could also kick start recruiting that has fallen behind some of the other big name programs in recent times. 

3. John Smith: After a great run in the early-mid 2000s, OSU has gone 8 seasons without a championship. They may have to rename the Cowboy forum to 34 and counting and counting and counting if they don't break through again soon. Fans were getting impatient a couple years ago but back-to-back solid NCAAs and very good recruiting has calmed things down; for now. 

4. J. Robinson: Hasn't won since 2007 but he built the Minnesota program, has 3 championships under his belt and has continued to put out some really strong teams since the last championship.  That being said, I'm sure the fan base would love to see #4 and they do have the horses to pull it out this upcoming season.

5. Rob Koll: After a couple #2 finishes in the last several years, Cornell has established themselves as a college wrestling power and their fans are looking to take that final step (much like tOSU) and bring home a championship. The overall perception is that Koll has done a great job at Cornell and I don't think he's under the same pressure to win as the others based on the fact he coaches at an Ivy League school.

6. Tim Flynn: His team returns the most ncaa points from last year and added a quality transfer in Austin Matthews. Most feel he does the most with the least resources in college wrestling but there are some that feel coach Flynn still needs to bring home a championship to be truly considered a great coach. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

^^Rob Koll's Cornell teams have been winning the EIWA tournament year after year and are the one EIWA team that has been doing very very well at the NCAA tournament the past 7-8 years or so.  This past season Cornell was the only EIWA team to finish in the top15 at the NCAA tournament and has been the league's bright star.  No current member of the Cornell-dominated EIWA has won the NCAA tournament (Penn State won for the EIWA's back in 1953) and it would be quite a feather in Coach Koll's hat, if his Big Red were to win the 2015 NCAA title.  

if Kale does not win this next year it will essentially negate the previous 4, since he won with Sunderland's recruits. If he does not win this year he will loss what little recruiting mojo he built with Sunderland's recruits and the PSU paper tiger will fall back to the pack quickly.   

I fully expect Tim Flynn to lead Edinboro to the team title this year. He placed top 5 last year, and he's returning the most team points of any school in the country this year. Edinboro is in a great spot to win the title this year imo.

This will be Flynn's 19th year as Head Coach at Edinboro, I think it's finally time to get the job done.

I fully expect Tim Flynn to lead Edinboro to the team title this year. He placed top 5 last year, and he's returning the most team points of any school in the country this year. Edinboro is in a great spot to win the title this year imo.

This will be Flynn's 19th year as Head Coach at Edinboro, I think it's finally time to get the job done.

deadhorse_2182.jpg

You must really think he's a great coach if you expect him to beat other greats such as Cael, Robinson, and Smith

I think he's great too, but just does not have the horses to compete with the other greats.   Give him more resources and I agree with you, he delivers a team title. 

I would think Brands has to step up the most.  His overall NCAA team performance is almost identical to Zaleski's and he was brought in to far surpass what Zaleski was doing and he hasn't.  I agree that Ryan has to put it together too; he's had enough time and come close enough to show that a title is possible--if he doesn't, what's the excuse?  I feel that Koll is in a different boat; far different academic demands, etc.  That he can be in the top 4-5 consistently is a great accomplishment.

You must really think he's a great coach if you expect him to beat other greats such as Cael, Robinson, and Smith

I think he's great too, but just does not have the horses to compete with the other greats.   Give him more resources and I agree with you, he delivers a team title. 

Cletus,

No, I do not believe that Flynn is a great coach. I've been very clear about my position on Flynn in the recent past. For the record, I hold Flynn responsible for the "horses" and resources he does or doesn't have just like everyone else. For some reason, many seem to believe if you start off with less, that means that you are forever stuck with less. They act as though it's impossible to improve your position over time.. I reject that idea. I also point to Mark Cody as evidence that that doesn't have to be the case.

Flynn is returning the most team points this year. I believe we all should hold him to championship standards. I believe most would hold Brands, Cael, Smith, etc. to championship standards if they were in a similar position. If Flynn's truly great like many like to say, then this is his chance to do what these coaches did multiple times when they were in Flynn's current situation.

This is truly a make or break year for Flynn and Edinboro University imo.

I would think Brands has to step up the most.  His overall NCAA team performance is almost identical to Zaleski's and he was brought in to far surpass what Zaleski was doing and he hasn't.  I agree that Ryan has to put it together too; he's had enough time and come close enough to show that a title is possible--if he doesn't, what's the excuse?  I feel that Koll is in a different boat; far different academic demands, etc.  That he can be in the top 4-5 consistently is a great accomplishment.

How are the academic demands far different in Koll's situation? What's the etc?.

Cletus,

No, I do not believe that Flynn is a great coach. I've been very clear about my position on Flynn in the recent past. For the record, I hold Flynn responsible for the "horses" and resources he does or doesn't have just like everyone else. For some reason, many seem to believe if you start off with less, that means that you are forever stuck with less. They act as though it's impossible to improve your position over time.. I reject that idea. I also point to Mark Cody as evidence that that doesn't have to be the case.

Flynn is returning the most team points this year. I believe we all should hold him to championship standards. I believe most would hold Brands, Cael, Smith, etc. to championship standards if they were in a similar position. If Flynn's truly great like many like to say, then this is his chance to do what these coaches did multiple times when they were in Flynn's current situation.

This is truly a make or break year for Flynn and Edinboro University imo.

If he isn't great, how do you expect him to beat coaches who are great?  

thats the funny part. we can only ascertain greatest after it is achieved. so whats the point of talking about it? you're either great after you win a national championship (individual or team), or you're not great. 

fun topic while it lasted but the case is closed!

I'm using the sense of expect that refers to obligation or duty. I'm not really using the sense of expect that means to think that something likely will happen. Although, after hearing about Flynn's alleged greatness on many occasions, the latter sense of expect that I mentioned is starting to creep up.

How are the academic demands far different in Koll's situation? What's the etc?.

Cornell's academic standards are tougher than several of the other schools mentioned in the original post.  Having coached in college and seen the transcripts of transfers from some schools (one mentioned in the original post in particular), the academic requirements and "progress toward graduation" criteria at some colleges were laughable.  A kid who's used a redshirt with one year of eligibility left and he hasn't passed a Freshman Writing course yet?  Joke.  And exactly what is a "Recreation" or "General Studies" major? (You can argue against my observation all you want and I won't contest your opinion, but I'm stating fact and I have no desire to go down that path as I've already discussed this to the point of boredom on other threads.)  Also, Koll cannot just come up with a full ride or even a partial scholarship unless the kid shows economic need--considering the cost of Cornell, that's severely limiting as far as recruiting goes.  I coached a 3-time state champ, Fargo 3rd placer, Senior Nationals All-American, blah-blah, who really wanted to go to Cornell but couldn't get penny to go there based on their financial aid system--that's tough to recruit in those circumstances.

Cletus,

Mark Cody has never won a championship... so why are you using Cody as an example? 

Mark Cody has never won a championship... so why are you using Cody as an example? 

I used Mark Cody as an example of a coach who improved his team's resources over time. I posted a thread about this a month or so ago. When Cody started at American University, they had only 4.5 scholarships. By the time Cody left, American had the full 9.9 scholarships to work with.

I used Mark Cody as an example of a coach who improved his team's resources over time. I posted a thread about this a month or so ago. When Cody started at American University, they had only 4.5 scholarships. By the time Cody left, American had the full 9.9 scholarships to work with.

Then that's completely different than your point in this thread. Are you saying Flynn hasn't improved his program since he's been there?

Cody obviously didn't improve his program enough to meet your standards. He never won the big one.

Then that's completely different than your point in this thread. Are you saying Flynn hasn't improved his program since he's been there?

Cody obviously didn't improve his program enough to meet your standards. He never won the big one.

Flynn hasn't improved his program enough. I used Cody as an example as someone who improved his resources over time, not as a great coach. Yes, Cody does not meet my great coach standards, but I do acknowledge that he did a good job taking his team from 4.5 scholarships to the full 9.9 scholarships before he left American. If I recall correctly, Flynn's team has 3.5 scholarships to use for recruiting. I hold Flynn responsible for not having the 9.9 scholarships.