What Coach Has The Most Pressure To Win A Title This Upcoming Season

1. 1. What Coach Has The Most Pressure To Win A Title This Upcoming Season

• Tom Ryan
    • Tom Brands
    • John Smith
    • J. Robinson
    • Rob Koll
    • Tim Flynn

Flynn hasn't improved his program enough. I used Cody as an example as someone who improved his resources over time, not as a great coach. Yes, Cody does not meet my great coach standards, but I do acknowledge that he did a good job taking his team from 4.5 scholarships to the full 9.9 scholarships before he left American. If I recall correctly, Flynn's team has 3.5 scholarships to use for recruiting. I hold Flynn responsible for not having the 9.9 scholarships. 

In your opinion, who is a great coach then? And why? 

i suppose we should also hold Flynn accountable for Edinboro's $15 million dollar endowment too, since we are obviously crediting Cael for Penn State's $3 billion dollar endowment. 

makes sense. that's how smart people judge wrestling coaches - by the resources available to them. its the most intelligent way to asses coaching skills. 

Superold...When you wonder why people call you a troll, this is why. 

As for the actual topic, I think its Coach Brands who has the most pressure.  This is a wide open year, and his team is right there with all the top contenders.  If there's no title this year (and I don't think there will be), the Zalesky comparisons will start.  

Coach Ryan has a ton of pressure, but it's totally different.  His issues are that that this is tOSU's best shot (on paper) that they've ever had.  If he doesn't get there, people will be disappointed, but nobody's going to be calling for his job.  And even losing Logan Stieber, with the freshman class he has now and the recent recruiting victories, he can make the argument that this is the beginning of something special at Ohio State.

Edinboro just doesn't have the horses.  Coach Flynn isn't expected to win a National Title, therefore he's not under the pressure to do so like Brands, Ryan, Sanderson, Koll or Robinson.  I do, however, think he's an excellent coach.  

This is how I see it:

1. Tom Ryan: Expectations are sky high in Buckeye land with all the talent in the lineup and if they don't bring home the title this season, there is going to be a lot of disappointment. Anything but first may expand the perception that Ryan can recruit and produce good teams but can't deliver a team championship. 

2. Tom Brands: Iowa has two #1 recruiting classes on the mat and after a 4 year drought, Hawk fans are chomping at the bit to get back to the top. Some are calling them the favorites heading into the season and I think Brands needs to win to put to rest the Zalesky comparisons and the double recruiting class talk once and for all. A championship could also kick start recruiting that has fallen behind some of the other big name programs in recent times. 

3. John Smith: After a great run in the early-mid 2000s, OSU has gone 8 seasons without a championship. They may have to rename the Cowboy forum to 34 and counting and counting and counting if they don't break through again soon. Fans were getting impatient a couple years ago but back-to-back solid NCAAs and very good recruiting has calmed things down; for now. 

4. J. Robinson: Hasn't won since 2007 but he built the Minnesota program, has 3 championships under his belt and has continued to put out some really strong teams since the last championship.  That being said, I'm sure the fan base would love to see #4 and they do have the horses to pull it out this upcoming season.

5. Rob Koll: After a couple #2 finishes in the last several years, Cornell has established themselves as a college wrestling power and their fans are looking to take that final step (much like tOSU) and bring home a championship. The overall perception is that Koll has done a great job at Cornell and I don't think he's under the same pressure to win as the others based on the fact he coaches at an Ivy League school.

6. Tim Flynn: His team returns the most ncaa points from last year and added a quality transfer in Austin Matthews. Most feel he does the most with the least resources in college wrestling but there are some that feel coach Flynn still needs to bring home a championship to be truly considered a great coach. 

Edited by jammen

Why did you leave Cael Sanderson off this list?  Do you think he has no pressure on him to prove that the last four titles weren't  a fluke due entirely to Taylor/Ruth?  With nine top 7 overall recruits on his current roster you wouldn't think that he'd have to throw in the towel and hope for another miracle recruit to walk through the door.

fact brands and sanderson got their runs of success due to combined recruiting classes

the true test is how you continue after youre established and if you can do as well as robinson and smith

1. Brands, It's Iowa where second is unacceptable. Been 4 years since his last title and hasn't won one yet without the VT/IA combo.

2. Ryan, He has proven he can recruit and has put some nice teams together, but has failed to supplant Ohio State as a wrestling powerhouse. A line up filled with blue chip recruits comes with great expectations. If he fails to get it done this year, they may start considering bringing someone else in who can get the job done.

3. Robinson, A big drop off of the top two and the rest the list. Robinson's place in coaching history has been established, he can walk away whenever and have a lot to be proud of. However it has been 7 years since the last title and a few heart breaking performances at NCAA's. This year the team has an opportunity to give JRob and Co. number 4. Perhaps one more title is what keeps JRob going.

4. Smith, I think Smith has more pressure than Robinson to win a tittle overall just because it has been 8 years, the tradition at Ok State and Smith is younger than JRob. I think just looking at this season though the pressure is less for Smith because he doesn't appear to have the lineup to legitimately contend with the rest of the top schools (I'm sure he will find a way to prove me wrong and be in the hunt on the final day). Some of Smith's finest coaching moments have occurred in the past few seasons with teams and individuals overachieving IMO, which helps release some pressure from their fan base.

5. Koll, Again another pretty big gap here. He has built Cornell into a team that can win a title. If his wrestlers make the same progression this season as they did the previous, then lookout. Koll is loved and admired by his administration and fanbase so realistically I don't think he has much if any interior pressure, but those outside the program may feel different.

6. Sanderson, He just rattled off 4 in a row, so he has some time. He may want to win another one quickly though to silence the opposition or he may find himself in similar water as Brands currently. 

Not sure if anyone else has a large amount of exterior pressure to win a team national title. Many other coaches are under pressure IMO, but not to win a national title. Each of those coaches would have smaller more attainable goals that would release much of their pressure. It all comes down to expectations and currently I can't think of a 7th coach who the majority expects to win a national title under their current situations. 

BR, Smith has had his fair share of transfers over the past several years. Caldwell, Galogaev, Byers and Benefiel just off the top of my head.

zalesky was paid to recruit guys to iowa and brands was paid to recruit guys to vatech and then took those guys to iowa with him

sunderland was paid to recruit guys to penn state and sanderson was paid to recruit guys to iowa state and then took them to penn state with him

sanderson is lucky that iowa state gave the releases he had a big advantage over brands there

the reality is that sanderson couldn't land molinaro wright or ruth and sunderland couldn't land taylor or cyler but when you combind them you have some of the best recruits and big point scorers

nothing wrong with transfers and nothing wrong with taylor and company following sanderson but there is a huge advantage when you can pick your top guys to go with you to combine with the other teams top guys which is why the next year or two are such a test of sanderson and penn state

imo if sanderson redshirts a bunch of guys and packs it in it would be a failure they should be going after a national title every year just like smith brands and robinson do

1. Tom Ryan: Expectations are sky high in Buckeye land with all the talent in the lineup and if they don't bring home the title this season, there is going to be a lot of disappointment. Anything but first may expand the perception that Ryan can recruit and produce good teams but can't deliver a team championship.

I don't think your statement of "Expectations are sky high in Buckeye land " is true. Most people I talk to from Ohio have Minnesota and Iowa as front-runners with Ohio State a very close third in line. 

Superold...When you wonder why people call you a troll, this is why. 

As for the actual topic, I think its Coach Brands who has the most pressure.  This is a wide open year, and his team is right there with all the top contenders.  If there's no title this year (and I don't think there will be), the Zalesky comparisons will start.  

Coach Ryan has a ton of pressure, but it's totally different.  His issues are that that this is tOSU's best shot (on paper) that they've ever had.  If he doesn't get there, people will be disappointed, but nobody's going to be calling for his job.  And even losing Logan Stieber, with the freshman class he has now and the recent recruiting victories, he can make the argument that this is the beginning of something special at Ohio State.

Edinboro just doesn't have the horses.  Coach Flynn isn't expected to win a National Title, therefore he's not under the pressure to do so like Brands, Ryan, Sanderson, Koll or Robinson.  I do, however, think he's an excellent coach.  

I'm sorry but I don't understand how this thread proves that I'm a troll. Could you please explain why you think that it does?

Edinboro just doesn't have the horses.  Coach Flynn isn't expected to win a National Title

Which brings to mind the question: "Why doesn't Flynn have the horses while several other universities do"? Maybe it's Flynn's fault that he doesn't have the horses.? Maybe it's one of his shortcomings as a coach that makes him a perpetual underdog going into the ncaas every year?

Why did you leave Cael Sanderson off this list?  Do you think he has no pressure on him to prove that the last four titles weren't  a fluke due entirely to Taylor/Ruth?  With nine top 7 overall recruits on his current roster you wouldn't think that he'd have to throw in the towel and hope for another miracle recruit to walk through the door.

Care to explain how Ruth and Taylor are flukes? You seem to suggest that these two were big point scoring national champions upon arrival at PSU. As if Sanderson had nothing to do with their development.

Am I reading you correctly?

Is it safe to say that I'm "living rent free" in a few posters' heads? Haha : ) 

And is it really necessary to pretend like you're not reading my posts? : )

How can you ask someone to explain why you're a troll and then post this?  You are the very definition of an Internet troll.  If you get your jollies from annoying people online, you're a troll...and I'm partially to blame for engaging you in any discussion.  

I assume we're talking about fan pressure vs. pressure from administrators, right?

In Koll's case, I can't figure out how a single administrator at Cornell U. would be unhappy with the progress of that program, the results they garnered and the positive press they've received as a result since Koll became head coach. Are Big Red fans really grumbling about not winning it all or are they very happy with the the fact that they've finished out of the top 10 just once since 2004, including two team runner-up finishes and two fourth places? I'd be surprised to learn that, if it were true.

How can you ask someone to explain why you're a troll and then post this?  You are the very definition of an Internet troll.  If you get your jollies from annoying people online, you're a troll...and I'm partially to blame for engaging you in any discussion.  

How is that post inconsistent with my claim that I'm not a troll?

I never said that I enjoyed annoying people. I don't rejoice in the fact that people get frustrated over my comments. The "living rent free" statement was made because there have been several posts made about how great it is to not be able to see my posts. It seems to me that these people can't simply be satisfied with blocking me, they must make sure that I'm 100% aware that I'm being blocked and they're just oh so happy about it. What's sad is, a few posters have already claimed to have blocked me in the past, and yet they comment on my posts. Why? Why can't they just let me go? Break ties for good? Go their separate ways? I guess I had them at hello, or rather "Greetings". What other conclusion should I draw from people who continue to respond to me after having claimed that they blocked me a while ago?

I assume we're talking about fan pressure vs. pressure from administrators, right?

In Koll's case, I can't figure out how a single administrator at Cornell U. would be unhappy with the progress of that program, the results they garnered and the positive press they've received as a result since Koll became head coach. Are Big Red fans really grumbling about not winning it all or are they very happy with the the fact that they've finished out of the top 10 just once since 2004, including two team runner-up finishes and two fourth places? I'd be surprised to learn that, if it were true.

No complaining from this fan. I can't recall any fan complaining about not having won a team championship. Koll has given us a ton to be pleased with. 4x national individual champion. 3 individual champs in one year. Lats of individual champs and tons of All Americans. Great, competitive squads, year after year. All these teams wrestle very aggressively and are definitely entertaining.

No complaining from this fan. I can't recall any fan complaining about not having won a team championship. Koll has given us a ton to be pleased with. 4x national individual champion. 3 individual champs in one year. Lats of individual champs and tons of All Americans. Great, competitive squads, year after year. All these teams wrestle very aggressively and are definitely entertaining.

I forgot that Koll had 3 champs in one year, thanks for the reminder! I think Koll is definitely the best among the guys who have never won an ncaa title. 

You could amend the thread's question by adding the phrase "if any" at the end.

From the perspective of administration, I'd guess Ryan and Brands would be the top two. Cael would be due a mulligan at least for a year. I'd doubt that Koll is under pressure to win the title and the very thought that Flynn is UNDER PRESSURE to win the title this year is absurd. 

I voted Brands, and I could very easily have gone with J Robinson as well. Both have senior-laden lineups this year, and figure to be the one and two teams in the country (I have Iowa #1, most others have Minnesota in that slot). You can't say that about Ryan, Sanderson, or Smith, and very few people actually expect Tim Flynn to win a national title this year (or even to have come as close as he did last year).

I think Brands and Smith are under quite a lot of pressure to deliver. Brands, far and away in the top hot spot. The Iowa way is to let one or two years slip by, but that is absolutely it. Terrible job to have when you don't deliver all the time.

I doubt any of these guys are under any pressure at all to win it all. The only thing that the AD's and administration care about is maximizing or their potential income or at least keeping it steady. As an example, Ryan will be in great shape to retain his position even with a 4th or 5th place finish at this years NCAA's because this years team will likely bring in more revenue than his teams in recent history. Attendance at home duels should be way up this year.