What Coach Has The Most Pressure To Win A Title This Upcoming Season

1. 1. What Coach Has The Most Pressure To Win A Title This Upcoming Season

• Tom Ryan
    • Tom Brands
    • John Smith
    • J. Robinson
    • Rob Koll
    • Tim Flynn

You could amend the thread's question by adding the phrase "if any" at the end.

From the perspective of administration, I'd guess Ryan and Brands would be the top two. Cael would be due a mulligan at least for a year. I'd doubt that Koll is under pressure to win the title and the very thought that Flynn is UNDER PRESSURE to win the title this year is absurd. 

Why is it absurd?

I voted Brands, and I could very easily have gone with J Robinson as well. Both have senior-laden lineups this year, and figure to be the one and two teams in the country (I have Iowa #1, most others have Minnesota in that slot). You can't say that about Ryan, Sanderson, or Smith, and very few people actually expect Tim Flynn to win a national title this year (or even to have come as close as he did last year).

Why is that? Could that partly be due to his shortcomings as a coach?

Why is that? Could that partly be due to his shortcomings as a coach?

It could be. It also could be due to the fact that I have inside information that Bigfoot is lurking in the woods outside of Edinboro, Pennsylvania and is going to eat McComb Fieldhouse whole in one giant bite, thereby requiring the Edinboro wrestling team to practice in their football stadium, and therefore only during good weather.

I'd consider it more likely that they won't win the national title this year because they simply don't have the horses. Whether you want to say that's because of "[Flynn's] shortcomings as a coach", Edinboro's shortcomings in terms of resources, or one of any number of other reasons, I'll leave that to you.

"Why is it absurd?"

Two separate questions:

1. Is it the case that Bruce Baumgartner IS NOT happy with Flynn because of his shortcomings as a coach, and to what extent?

Or,

2. Is it the case that YOU think Bruce Baumgartner should not be happy with Flynn because of YOUR perceptions of Flynn's shortcomings as a coach.

This is thread is about the actuality of question 1, not the insubstantiality of question 2.  I think Mr. B has every reason to be happy with Mr. F. 

Thus absurd by definition. You could also say preposterous, ridiculous, ludicrous, farcical, laughable, idiotic, stupid, foolish, silly, inane, imbecilic, insane, harebrained, cockamamie; unreasonable, irrational, illogical, nonsensical, senseless, or even daft.

Pick any.
Edited by LkwdSteve

I think this year it's really a two coach race between Brands and Smith. Ryan won, Jrob just got an extension despite low expectations this season and Koll just isn't going to have the same pressure to win based on a somewhat unique circumstance. Cael will have some pressure to start winning again however no where near what the top two guys will be experiencing.

New Poll is up……oh and this thread really makes you miss superold, no? He single handily got Flynn on the list last year, haha. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Well the Iowa coach will always have the most pressure to win a NCAA title because they are pretty much the only program that the Admin, Coaches, Wrestlers, and Fans across the board have the expectation to win every year.

You would think OSU would have the same thing going on but for whatever reason they don't.

Obviously Cael is a good coach but if they don't win this year the concept of maybe Ruth & Taylor were the x-factor in their title run will start to creep in but that is hardly going to create pressure for Cael.

But I would say Brands and Cael because mostly their fans and admin seem to care more than any of the other places you mentioned.  

Obviously Cael is a good coach but if they don't win this year the concept of maybe Ruth & Taylor were the x-factor in their title run will start to creep in but that is hardly going to create pressure for Cael.

"will start to creep in" ?   More like a historical fact.  You are right that Penn State fans will be resting on their laurels for many years to come.

"will start to creep in" ?   More like a historical fact.  You are right that Penn State fans will be resting on their laurels for many years to come.

Jammies, you and Otis should start a radio talk show. Your Penn State paranoia could then reach a far wider audience. 

... the concept of maybe Ruth & Taylor were the x-factor in their title run will start to creep in but that is hardly going to create pressure for Cael.

I love this criticism of Cael.  The concept that they would not have been as good without their two best wrestlers! Take the two best wrestlers away from any team and they are a lot worse

I love this criticism of Cael.  The concept that they would not have been as good without their two best wrestlers! Take the two best wrestlers away from any team and they are a lot worse

thats true but he only recruited one of them  i guess you can give him credit for the midyear transfer of long that won them a title since he at least recruited him

ruth wasnt a sanderson recruit just as brands had a combined class  now is the time for sanderson to take all the hype and top recruiting that taylor and ruth helped generate and turn it into a title with all his own guys  if he can do it then he will be a step above but if he doesnt then he has a lot in common with smith brands and robinson

Ruth was always going to Penn State. It isn't like he'd have chosen another school to avoid Sanderson. 

Every coach who gets hired gets their choice of the guys already committed to that school, plus the guys they recruited for the school they left. That's life. Cael did not do anything any other coach wouldn't have done, including ALL of the big name coaches. 

Ruth was always going to Penn State. It isn't like he'd have chosen another school to avoid Sanderson. 

Every coach who gets hired gets their choice of the guys already committed to that school, plus the guys they recruited for the school they left. That's life. Cael did not do anything any other coach wouldn't have done, including ALL of the big name coaches. 

Might have been a joke at the time but we had heard that Ruth originally chose PSU to watch the football team.

thats true but he only recruited one of them  i guess you can give him credit for the midyear transfer of long that won them a title since he at least recruited him

ruth wasnt a sanderson recruit just as brands had a combined class  now is the time for sanderson to take all the hype and top recruiting that taylor and ruth helped generate and turn it into a title with all his own guys  if he can do it then he will be a step above but if he doesnt then he has a lot in common with smith brands and robinson

Ruth and Taylor both wrestled their entire career for Cael (Matt Brown also). That's pretty much the end of the story from a developmental perspective. Or are you saying the mere act of Sunderland recruiting Ruth to PSU somehow helped him develop as a wrestler. If so please explain, because I'd love to hear the convoluted logic that led to that conclusion.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger