Sign in to follow this  
jakester1

Fargo participants

Listed by team finish, with total participants:

Team Abbr  Count Points 1.   New Jersey, NJ NJ 39 58.0 2.   Minnesota, MN MN 50 53.0 3.   Oklahoma, OK OK 51 53.0 4.   Pennsylvania, PA PA 50 53.0 5.   Iowa, IA IA 46 36.0 6.   Illinois, IL IL 67 35.0 7.   Michigan, MI MI 30 25.0 8.   Missouri, MO MO 35 21.0 9.   Utah, UT UT 36 20.0 10.   Ohio, OH OH 55 17.0 11.   New York, NY NY 40 16.0 12.   California, CA CA 47 14.0

NJ wins with a relatively small group sent.

An interesting point - New Jersey wins with three finalists. All three finalists wrestle in the National Prep League and none will be at the NJ State Tournament.

Charles Tucker (Blair)
Mason Manville (Blair - really a Virginia kid)

Myles Martin (McDonough School, MD)

New Jersey also had one Cadet FS Champion, Brandon Dallavia, also a National Prep wrestler from Blair Academy.

I do wish that the NJ Blair kids could compete in the state tourney, but what can you do?  I think NJ had 6-7 kids that scored points that will be in the state tourney.

Blair is such a big draw, they really can pick and choose who they want.  Manville beat another NJ kid for his title.

That would be interesting.

The National Prep League did extremely will with four champions overall. Jack Mueller from Texas (Trinity Christian, but will be transferring to Wyoming Seminary this year) won Jr Nat'ls at 113. Mueller is already a 2X National Prep Champion for Trinity (106 & 113) and now a Jr. Nat'l Freestyle Champion as well.

I think Blair Academy had at least 5 All-Americans this past week (including four finalists, maybe more).

The "team state title" became even sillier.  what's the point?  NJ gets points out of Tucker from Mass and Manville from Virginia.  So go ahead and say "they go to HS in NJ" and then lose Martin's points (Maryland)

Also Dallavia is from NY

Why not just let clubs show up with who they want and drop the State charade?  too much bureacracy- for what?

I agree on the Prep title wtf is this but these kids shouldnt be picked on by adults. i went to military school in Missouri do you think they said i was from iowa. its a next level thing basically for rich families or top enders. I love jeff buxton have talked with him personally a few times and Blair Academy is a fortunate school. If your kids can go go. otherwise this is the dumbest thread ive responded too. 

On response to the OP Illinios has an excellent youth program and great sponsers unlike most states.

Edited by Turkey

Turkey....

I didn't read into this thread that anyone was picking on the kids. I think the idea of invoking a team race between states is what is being picked on. This is because NJ won the "Team Race" using both kids that go to HS in New Jersey, but are from other states (Tucker & Manville), but then also using someone that is from New Jersey, but goes to HS in another state (Martin). New Jersey is sort of having it both ways.....which makes the whole team title concept somewhat silly.

As to the subject of numbers vs team points. I wouldn't make too much of our (NJ) low team numbers showing the high final total.

It's not like had we brought another 20-50 kids they would have been placewinners. Yes, having high numbers does help a little as a small number of them place unexpectedly.

All the states can complain about not bringing how many ever of their best kids. We had 4 high caliber names on the flight list that disappeared the week before.

I thought that would end our chances. I've only gone to Jr Nats for 37 years, so what do I know?

In my opinion, we had a much better than usual ratio of studs we brought to those that ended up placing. We might have had only one kid like that- badly hurt his ankle and had to drop out.

Our kids simply performed well. Our coaches and admins did the best we could to support the kids. This year everything worked.

I wish I could tell you what we did differently, it was just our turn this year. I was amazed as we got into Friday evening realizing where we stood - not just at our own performance but at how much parity there was this year with 4 teams within a few points of each other. We didn't have it wrapped up until the 152 finals. 

I agree on the Prep title wtf is this but these kids shouldnt be picked on by adults. i went to military school in Missouri do you think they said i was from iowa. its a next level thing basically for rich families or top enders. I love jeff buxton have talked with him personally a few times and Blair Academy is a fortunate school. If your kids can go go. otherwise this is the dumbest thread ive responded too. 

On response to the OP Illinios has an excellent youth program and great sponsers unlike most states.

How did you read anything in this thread to be adults picking on kids?

If this is the dumbest thread you've ever responded to you should really post more

The home state has the right to release athletes to states they attend school in. Manville was granted a release by Virginia. Martin didn't opt to compete for Maryland, despite going to school there. 

Pennsylvania typically doesn't release kids who compete at schools in other states. See Brooks Black, Andrew Donofrio as other examples of PA kids who went to school in different states. 

Jesse Webb competed for Alabama last year since Vermont didn't really have a full association team, but they still had to get a release. This year, he competed for Mass.