Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Cormier getting lots of love

The board's slow lately so I thought I'd throw this out there. Apparently Cormier is getting a lot of love as a fighter.

San Jose is where Cormier has lived and trained for a while. Cormier will also be fighting Jon Jones at UFC 178 at the end of September.

Apparently, there was a UFC event last night at the SAP Arena in San Jose. When a promo went on for UFC 178, it showed both Jones and Cormier. The crowd began chanting "DC, DC" and looked to Cormier, who was there working as a Fox commentator. Cormier's colleague Brian Stann said it gave him chills. 

It's a pretty nice thing for Cormier. He's always been an outstanding wrestler and humble guy. I always thought the wrestling community unfairly criticized him after he was unable to compete in Beijing. So I like seeing him get lots of love. He deserves it.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/493261783612678144

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/493261934611816450

The connection to international wrestling is Cormier's reception among fans from 2008 to now. In 2008, of course, his fans were only the wrestling community.

Edited by The_Education

Cormier was very popular throughout his entire time competing, and was probably seen as the best wrestler and leader of that group going into the '08 Olympics.  I think the courage he showed training for the '04 Olympics had a lot of people pulling for him throughout his entire career.... Even today he is one of the strongest supporters of wrestling in MMA.

With that said, of course he was going to take criticism when his weight cut prevented him from competing in Beijing..He had a well documented weight issue, so this didn't come out of the blue.... If anything, Cejudo's unexpected win  overshadowed most of the criticism.

But that's just how I remember it. 

If he wins that fight he will be the most popular wrestler in the world! Beating the p4p #1 guy in MMA history would make Cormier known throughout the world many times more than if he were to win 10 world titles. Cormier's 08 debacle could be redeemed in a couple months. I would much rather beat Jon Jones and win the UFC title over beating Gatsalov and winning that 04 Olympic wrestling title.  

Edited by PRyan2012

I will say DC has matured a great deal, but after his behavior at the 2003 WC and not making weight at the Olympics, he deserved to be criticized.  I always liked the guy and always found him to be a fierce competitor...I hope he whips Jon Jones.

Cormier was fairly criticized for what happened in 2008, and he's been haunted by it since. The respect and admiration he has earned since is also fair. People shouldn't be defined only by their failures.

I also hope he beats Jones. I don't think a UFC title compares well to Olympic gold in terms of difficulty (really it's just the US, Japan and Brazil that take MMA seriously) but it us still an awesome accomplishment. I think fellow ex-wrestler Jones will win but I hope I'm wrong.

I like MMA alot, and have taught wrestling to fighters for 4-5 years, but I believe winning a gold medal in the Olympic Games is a greater accomplishment than winning an MMA title, maybe even over Jon Jones.  Like armspin said MMA is made up primarily of athletes from the US, Japan and Brazil.  At the Olympic Games, you not only have athletes from all over the world, (and I know a lot of countries are weak), but you have countries like Russia, Belarus, etc. who can be 3-10 guys deep that could medal, but can't even make the team.  Not meant to start and argument....just my point of view, and I'm not trying to take away from MMA either, as I think it's good for the sport of wrestling.

I will be rooting against him, as I did in his last fight and pretty much anything he's done in MMA. The 08 debacle is pretty bad. For those who don't know he basically ignored his coaches and gained a lot of weight then almost died trying to cut to make it. I was hoping that Damoin Hahn would have gotten to compete instead.

I will be rooting against him, as I did in his last fight and pretty much anything he's done in MMA. The 08 debacle is pretty bad. For those who don't know he basically ignored his coaches and gained a lot of weight then almost died trying to cut to make it. I was hoping that Damoin Hahn would have gotten to compete instead.

How long will you root against Cormier? Surely there is forgiveness somewhere down the line for his past transgressions?

After waching Cormier just

I'd like to see Cormier wrestler Varner.

I think it would be a close match. He just beat Pendleton 12-5 who is top 5 at 213. Cormier lost to the best guys like Gatsalov about like Varner loses to teh top guys like Gaz now. I will call it an even match now with Varner getting a slight edge. Varner got a gift in 2012 and is cleary behind the top guys at 213 like Cormier was with Gatsalov and Heydari. They both are/were top 3 to top 5 guys but not ever #1 in the world. I hate to say it but Varner simply was not the best. What an amazing fortune he had in 2012. Cormier dominated more so than even Varner does now in the US. This match won't happen but if it did right now I would saw Varner by 1-3 points.

Unfairly criticized him?   Your opinion, but how you can't see the side who criticized him's view is a bit strange.

Competing in the Olympics is more than going out and performing. It's competing for a country that has qualified. It's qualifying for your country's spot. It's not using substances that are banned. It's not breaking the law and being incarcerated during the Olympics. It's not breaking relevant codes of conduct. It's making all the sacrifices required to be prepared. It's training. It's making weight. It's making weight in a way that allows you to compete. It's traveling. It's going into matches with solid strategies. It's not being injured.

Cormier simply made a mistake on one thing -- making weight in a way that allowed him to compete. I'm sure Cormier would be the first person to say he wish he could have competed. I don't see why people get so outraged by it.

Edited by The_Education

As fans, him not making weight didn't effect our lives like it did/has his. I was steamed for a while too, but the guy represents wrestlers well in the UFC inside/outside of the cage so I will be cheering for him to whip Jones.

As fans, him not making weight didn't effect our lives like it did/has his. I was steamed for a while too, but the guy represents wrestlers well in the UFC inside/outside of the cage so I will be cheering for him to whip Jones.

Agreed. He's gotta live with the 08 Olympics the rest of his life and I bet that eats at him, especially after winning Bronze at world's the year before, he was primed for a medal in 08. I usually root for the wrestlers in mma anyway and Cormier is no different.

In 2003 he had a bit of a tantrum after losing to Heydari. I'm not aware if any issues in 2004; he wrestled well at the Olympics, lost in OT to Gatsalov and Heydari under the must-score-3 rules of the time.

BTW the Varner stuff is a but overblown. Yeah he was lucky Yaz got injured, but he beat the guy who beat Gayzumov, and assuming a major head case like Gadisov would have beat him is major speculation. Varner vs Cormier would be great, I think Varner by 1-3 is about right.

In 2003 he had a bit of a tantrum after losing to Heydari. I'm not aware if any issues in 2004; he wrestled well at the Olympics, lost in OT to Gatsalov and Heydari under the must-score-3 rules of the time.

BTW the Varner stuff is a but overblown. Yeah he was lucky Yaz got injured, but he beat the guy who beat Gayzumov, and assuming a major head case like Gadisov would have beat him is major speculation. Varner vs Cormier would be great, I think Varner by 1-3 is about right.

After being beaten by Heydari in the 2003 Worlds at Madison Square Garden, he pushed him, and I am pretty sure he pushed Heydari with his back turned....It was really uncool and unsportmanlike....

But DC is Back!!!  I think he is going to take JJ...

Cormier's infant daughter was killed in a car accident in June 2003. So thats what was talked about a lot in reference to Cormier in 2003 and the trials in 2004 because he pushed through all that and kept going.

dc didn't miss weight in 08. he had medical issues after he made the weight and couldn't compete.

True, though it was a result of the weight cut due to a extreme miss management of his weight drop. I think the near death experiance helped wake him up when it comes to his current weight drop program.

I wouldn't mind if either guy won, both are wrestlers.

And there is no such thing as a LUCKY Olympic Gold medal.  Ridiculous thing to say.  He was the best in the world that day, he won when it counted, everyone else couldn't get it done. Not much else to say.