Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Petition for a Taylor-Askren match

Askren previously sought to wrestle Dake, but was not able to. Dake is now hurt so it doesn't look likely. However, Taylor is healthy, and likely has some time on his schedule.

How would these two do if they wrestled each other?

An Agon event may be possible, although I don't know if Agon is still holding events. Maybe an exhibition at the All-Star meet? An exhibition at a ONE FC event? An exhibition at the Midlands or Southern Scuffle?

I feel this match could and should happen.

Askren previously sought to wrestle Dake, but was not able to. Dake is now hurt so it doesn't look likely. However, Taylor is healthy, and likely has some time on his schedule.

An Agon event may be possible, although I don't know if Agon is still holding events. Maybe an exhibition at the All-Star meet? An exhibition at a ONE FC event? An exhibition at the Midlands or Southern Scuffle?

Why do you feel this match should happen?

Let Askren make wt. at nationals and advance far enough to face Taylor. That's the only match that would be worthy of any interest. Any exhibition is just that, and means nothing.

Why do you feel this match should happen?

(1) They are both actively wrestling.

(2) They are both in the physical primes.

(3) They both compete around the same weight class.

(4) They are both two-time Hodge winners.

(5) Most importantly, this match would entertain me.

Edited by The_Education

Let Askren make wt. at nationals and advance far enough to face Taylor. That's the only match that would be worthy of any interest. Any exhibition is just that, and means nothing.

That's a fair opinion. I will note that by your definition, big international torunaments and events like Beat the Streets are also not worthy of any interest.

I agree. I'm not interested in seeing these two compete in anything outside of an official competition where both wrestlers make weight.

I'm not too interested in this matchup. I personally believe that Ben Askren and David Taylor are two of the most overrated wrestlers ever. Specifically, I believe that Askren's scrambling ability is way overrated (I don't consider him to be an elite scrambler) and Taylor's technique from neutral leaves much to be desired imo. I respect these two wrestlers, but I don't like this match up.  

I'm sure it could happen if someone is willing to offer enough money for it. Then again, Cael might shut it down. : )

As others have noted, if Askren wants to wrestle someone then let him make weight and wrestle in a sanctioned event. Taylor is working hard on his competitive skills. Askren probably could not advance far enough to meet him in any event they would both be entered into.

I honestly don't understand the "he has to show up at Sr Nationals" line of thought. 

-I heard that there's a possibility that these two amazing wrestlers could wrestle for a cash prize! Cool!

-Nope, screw that. If it's not Nationals, it's not match. 

pretty sure I heard agon was dead 

just something for askren to do while he was looking for a new contract to make some money and try to attract more fans to help negotiations

Some of the responses here are an exact reason why the sport does not grow. 

Askren should go to nationals if he wants to wrestle Taylor?

Why none of the posters probably go to any USA Wrestling events anyhow. 

Pay our top athletes for dream match ups like this and charge a UFC fight pass subscription like on flo and lets make this happen. 

Cael vs Cormier uh YEAH Thank you

Cejudo vs Simmons again? Heck Yeah

Greg Jones vs Moza Fay? Yes

There are so many match ups, wrestling has just had it so easy for so long. We shoot ourselves in the foot being so cheap

I don't think these 1-on-1 mega matchups work in wrestling as they do in more brutal sports like boxing and MMA.

I'd much rather see Askren Wrestling Academy field a 10-man, folkstyle, semi-pro team (maybe called the "Milwaukee Askrens") and pit them vs. a Nittany Lions WC semi-pro team (perhaps called the "State College Sandersons"), with both Askren and Taylor (along with other big names from the each area) in the line-up.

Then I'd like to see similar club teams around the country arise and challenge them, eventually forming a bonafide league.

Agon flopped

1- because no one cares

2- because Disabato is a lemony fresh

3- because no one cares

Askren is the guy running around begging everyone to wrestle him.  He has zero significance to our sport any longer.  He has also ran his mouth out of the UFC.

Let him beat up HS kids at his camp and tweet derogatory stuff about soccer.

His ego has ruined his career

Some of the responses here are an exact reason why the sport does not grow. 

Askren should go to nationals if he wants to wrestle Taylor?

Why none of the posters probably go to any USA Wrestling events anyhow. 

Pay our top athletes for dream match ups like this and charge a UFC fight pass subscription like on flo and lets make this happen. 

Cael vs Cormier uh YEAH Thank you

Cejudo vs Simmons again? Heck Yeah

Greg Jones vs Moza Fay? Yes

There are so many match ups, wrestling has just had it so easy for so long. We shoot ourselves in the foot being so cheap

i am trying to figure out the moza fay/ greg jones matchup....????

I am 100X more excited to see Kyle Snyder's potential matchup with the Russian 96kg tomorrow than Askren vs. Taylor...You know, a match that may actually have some significance to it, and not just some staged exhibition. It's ridiculous to me that people think these meaningless exhibitions will "save" the sport when what we really need to do is get people interested in our international athletes...Not MMA "celebrities" who come back to see if they can still wrestle. 

Tournament matches are more interesting and meaningful, but that doesn't mean MMA style matchups can't be exciting. Think Beat The Streets. the problem with AGON (apart from DiSabato) is there were odd, unexciting matchups for the most part. These need to be MORE excitibg than what's going on at the Schultz, or the NYAC or the regional qualifiers.

Askren vs Taylor is actually a good one. So is inviting to international guys (if they'd come). Make it can't miss. If you want retired or MMA guys how about Cormier vs Sanderson? Or get GSP to wrestle someone:)

Expensive? More ambitious that what AGON was? Sure, but that's what I would be excited to watch.