Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Calumet (Indiana) forfeits nine weights against NIU!

That is an absolute embarasment for our sport. Calumet started wrestling just a few years ago. What is their motivation to keep it if they take just one wrestler to a triple dual? Failed skin checks, ineligible wrestlers what ever the excuse is it falls back on the head coach. He was hired to put a good product on the mat, If he cant fire him and hire some one who can.

I know Leroy Vega was there originally but left last year. Word by some was that the school admin didnt fully grasp what they were getting into with wrestling and hasn't properly support it. Maybe this is further carry over from that (new coaches 2nd year) in addition to other issues. Sad that a school in that rich of a wrestling area can't keep a team going.

The coach at Calumet St Joe is none other then Joey Gilbert, Michigan alum and 4x State champ from Illinois.

He was the head coach at Marian Catholic in Chicago Heights, IL.

Not sure what the deal is with his new team.

First off Marian Catholic is not a powerhouse program and never has been. Some darn good wrestlers yes, a powerhouse along the lines of Sandburg, Montini, GBN, no. That however is imaterial to this situation. The coach has been there for two season now, plenty of time to establish a roster of eligible kids, who care take care of their academics and skin disease. Unless there were some very extenuating circumstances that were totaly unavoidable there is no excuse. It is an embarssment to our sport and it should be made clear to the coach that it can not happen again.

Joey Gilbert is not an alum of Mich. left there and went up north to wrestle where his brother was at not sure if it was in North or South Dakota. I believe he wrestled at Mich. for 2 yrs. but again not positive but do know he left there and went somewhere else.

I wrestled at Wentworth back in the early 2000's (99-00 and 00-01) and we were able to field a full line up both years I was there and the year prior. The program was killed off over time by a clueless AD because he 1. cared little for the sport and 2. Didnt know what he was getting in to. Most of WMA's students are attending on full ROTC scholarships either in the Early Commissioning Program or a program called 2+2 and thus have other priorities to meet. The ROTC department, at least when I attended, was pretty understanding and supportive of all of the athletic teams but it seemed like the only thing that was given any attention from the athletic department was the basketball team (they were pretty decent, exciting to watch, but not great). I always felt that the AD thought he had a cash cow on his hands there, but failed to realize that it was NJCAA and not the B1G. I know a young man that attends WMA now and wrestles there. Admittedly, most of the wrestlers are not really great. Maybe a state qualifier or two, but mostly guys that just want to get on the mat still. I wasn't a world beater and wouldn't have started at 99% of the rest of the colleges but I got an opportunity there and even won a little and had a great time. I think the problem at WMA is the lack of a legitimate coach. My second year that was the issue due to the previous coach being transferred (he was an Army LTC). I don't know the coach now so I can't speak to how he runs the program but I would venture to say he's in over his head from what I have heard/seen. He also doubles as a high school wrestling coach and track coach (WMA also has a high school element and is utilized as a prep school by USAFA and USMA). I dont know the schools attitude towards wrestling any more but I would venture to say they are on board as they have added numerous sports in the last few years.

Im not as involved as I used to be, nor as much as I would like to be. But my personal approach is that no amount of competitors is an embarrassment. I used to hear guys say most of the WMA team didnt belong on a mat but always wondered "Who the hell else is going to wrestle for the school". No one was knocking down the door to get in and the opportunity was there. There was a few times I was used to wipe the mat with, but I got to wrestle in college and had a blast doing it.

Joey Gilbert is not an alum of Mich. left there and went up north to wrestle where his brother was at not sure if it was in North or South Dakota. I believe he wrestled at Mich. for 2 yrs. but again not positive but do know he left there and went somewhere else.

He went Boise State (with his brother Danny) for his final year and didn't place at NCAA's. I think he may have bumped up two weight classes.

He went Boise State (with his brother Danny) for his final year and didn't place at NCAA's. I think he may have bumped up two weight classes.

looked over on wrestlingstats and you are right, bumped to 150 and DNP. Made quarters with a win over #5 seed and eventual 6th placer Theiler from Ariz St; his two losses were to 4th placer Newby Ok St 12-3 in quarters and to 3rd placer Gaier Cal Poly-SLO 7-3 in RD of 12.

loved his matches at 134 with Brands...