Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Junior Worlds Results and Discussion

Hard to beat a guy who is both slicker and stronger. Gogaev controlled the pace well, he took his time on the restarts but it's not like he was dying out there.

My guess is he'll be back at heavyweight soon. Snyder will get better and win this tournament again.

Man, I'm not trying to jump to conclusions, but haven't there been a number of Iranians who have been caught juicing recently? It seems that many of them have adopted the style of "stay low, push push push push" which we just saw in McKenna's match (similar to Burroughs 2013 World Finals) - which they seem to have the incredible strength to do well. I hate to take credit away from an athlete, but I can't keep myself from wondering...

Joojeh-Kabab

• 1 jar grape leaves mixed with saffron petals & blossoms of roses

• 1 fresh and tender young chicken (substitute lamb)

• 3 cups smashed onion juice

• 1½ cups uncooked rice (add seltzer water before cooking)

• 1 garlic clove, chopped

• ¼ cup olive oil

• ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped

• 2 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped

• 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped

• ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled

• ½ cup pine nuts and cinnamon

• ¼ teaspoon saffron

• ½ cup, diced limes

• 1 dash of myrrh

• Salt and pepper, to taste

Also …add Chây (tea) brewed with a pinch of smoking frankincense in a large, ornate samovar

Yes... Iran's strength and conditioning has improved in recent years. Many Iranian guys (mostly Greco) have failed tests.

I really hope that it's a case of a few bad apples and nothing more but supyall isn't the only one wondering.

Btw how about a French guy (granted, an import) winning?

Does anyone else have concerns around Snyder's progression from this point forward on the international scene over the remainder of this cycle? 

I think tactically and technically he will be able to continue to develop but where my concern lies is around him having to cut down to 197.  I would suspect he is going to have to shrink his body down quite a bit to make that weight from an entire college season or 2? Also, concerned with how his body will hold up at that weight going through the college season grind.

Anyone know if he is planning take an Olympic redshirt in 2016?

Looking at the brackets for tonight, it looks like Gillman will have his work cut out for him. He has the Iranian and Azerbaijan on his side of the bracket. Hopefully he wrestles well and wins his division.

Looking at Pico's draw, he starts out with Japan, but basically Iran, Russia, and most of the really tough countries are all on the other side of the bracket. He does have a few countries like Belarus, Hungary, and Bulgaria, but it looks like a favorable draw for him if he can get past the Japanese wrestler.

Gabe Dean's draw also looks pretty good as well. Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, and Russia, are all stacked up below him. Hopefully they get exhausted by the time they have to deal with Dean.

Lastly Big Adam Coon, he's way down at the bottom of his bracket, but it looks pretty good. He does have Azerbijan above him, but if he can get rolling maybe will see him in the finals .

Yeah, should be 4am eastern time again.

Couple of other side notes:

Yes, Gogaev looked bigger and stronger than Kyle. Looked like he was a weight class above Kyle. Interesting that Gogaev took 5th at 120kg at last year's Junior World Championships. Wonder how much he has to cut to make 96.

And the 74 champ from France took 9th last year at Junior World's. (BTW, is last year's 74 champ Zaseev from Russia still wrestling? He was the guy that beat Alex Dierenger in the finals. Haven't seen Zaseev's name anywhere.) 

Congrats to our freestylers today, and good luck to our Final 4 tomorrow!

A few thoughts about today and looking ahead to tomorrow.

Excellent first day for us! Coming into the tournament I was hoping for 4 medals, and if I'm being honest I probably thought 3 of them would come tomorrow. If I were ranking our guys on most likely to medal to least I would have had McKenna last, glad he proved me wrong!

I didn't know what to expect from Moody being at such a low weight, and even tho he didn't medal he scored tons of points, had very exciting matches and was very close to a medal.

Valencia I was torn on, on the one hand he looked amazing at the trials but on the other he's still young and inexperienced at this level. Well, I really think based on what we saw that had he not got caught he would have won this tournament. A little disappointing he didn't medal but better to have that happen at an early age and learn from it. He still has a year of high school left, so I'm sure he'll get another crack or two at this tournament.

Snyder not repeating was disappointing for him I'm sure, but sometimes in international wrestling the two best guys meet early and that's what happened here, glad he bounced back to get the bronze. I think that Russian will ultimately end up at heavyweight, they have plenty of studs at 97 already and nobody spectacular at 125, hence Gatsalov bumping up to be their guy there.

As for tomorrow, if 3 out of 4 end up in medal matches that will be another solid day. Hoping for a couple gold's out of Pico and Coon. We all know about Pico but Coon I think could be our next great international heavyweight. He is so big and so athletic, he could become a force, hope to see him start now!

Gilman has the experience at this tournament as well as having the senior and university world team reps at his weight in his club along with the Brands brothers, couldn't ask for much better than that. Dean doesn't have much freestyle experience but he is built like a brick *hithouse, I can't see any 17-20 years olds being able to over power him. Dean could be a surprise medalist here and I would be shocked.

Good luck to our last 4 juniors!

Thank you MA wrestler. Any addiional color / detail would be greatly appreciated as well.

I suppose I should know if anyone is blogging this event even close to real time. But I do not. Seems like these boards are often the way to keep track if not able to watch live so thanks to the posters that make the effort.

Again, any more info would be appreciated!

Ok, trying out Live Stream App on phone (nice app!). Saw end of Coon match where Dhesi wins on late TD. Finals (says 1/2 Finals - what does that mean?)

Also saw end of Dean match - he is in wrestlebacks. He tetched a guy from GRE (Greece?).

Can't seem to find updated brackets.

Pico is in the finals, Gilman, Dean and Coon all go for bronze.

Gilman's quarter vs Iran was great, down 3-0 after first, comes back to win 4-4 on criteria with two hard earned takedowns. Lost a tough one to Azerbijian in semis, had a nice takedown to get to 3-2 but then gave up a late takedown. Ends up chasing his opponent in the last few seconds, got a little chippy at the end.

Didn't see much of Pico, only saw his semi which he dominated. He has a tough Iranian opponent who beat the Russian who beat Pico earlier this year. Pico is great tho and he knows how to peak at the right times, should be a great final.

Dean is a tank! Lost a heartbreaker in the quarters 7-6. Wild scramble late but then the feed cut out, but obviously nobody scored because it ended 7-6. He was pulled back in when the wrestler he lost to made the finals, easily could have been him in the finals. I just watched him maul his opponent in the repechage and now he goes for bronze.

Coon dominated his first 3, then lost to Dhesi (Oregon st/Canada). The score seemed to change a lot but I think they finally got it right when it went 5-5, at least that's how I saw it. Then Dhesi hits that slick duck again, appears to get a push out but then they change it and give the point to Coon. Then with under 10 seconds left Dhesi gets a takedown for the win. Another heartbreaker there. What an ironman Coon is tho, gets the bronze in Greco Wednesday, wrestled 4 tough matches today, great showing.

Overall the whole team has done phenomenal. All 8 our our guys were right there with everyone, nobody looked outclassed, everyone wins at least 2 matches, 7 of 8 will wrestle for a medal and really all 8 guys could have just as easily been in the finals, can't say that most years!

I've been getting the live feed right on Flo, couldn't seem to get it to play on the FILA site. Finals will start around noon eastern time.

I couldn't watch the finals yesterday, does anyone know if they show them all on the same mat? For seniors I believe they do, they go weight by weight, bronze match, bronze match, gold match, then repeat for each weight. Is that how that do it here too?

I couldn't watch the finals yesterday, does anyone know if they show them all on the same mat? For seniors I believe they do, they go weight by weight, bronze match, bronze match, gold match, then repeat for each weight. Is that how that do it here too?

I believe they use two mats for the finals. I thought they were all on the same the other day during Greco until I heard the announcer say Coon was on mat a or something, I click over to that one and he had already obliterated his opponent for bronze. Lol

They use a two-mat set-up (I think A and B)...The bronzes are wrestled at the same time and then the finals takes place on one of the the mats (I think B)...All of the finals will be held on the same mat (they don't rotate them or anything; once you see the first final, you'll know where the other three will be held).

So far all the different styles went like this:

1) B and C (Bronze medal matches)

2) upon completion at each weights bronze medal matches... 

3) the final for that weight will take place on mat B

4) then on to the next weight class rodeo ...Enjoy

Does anyone know when these matches start again (using east coast time ... I'll take west, central or mountain as well! Just specify)?

Ok, see the post above now ... Noon Eastern. Thanks again!

Edited by nom