okiespike

Arizona State

Does anyone know where Hayes is considering? With Zahid blowing up, you figure ASU is set for the time being from 174-197 with Valencia x 2 and Benick. Maruca as a 149. I have to figure Hayes would be a nice pickup 133-141.

Especially with Clayton committing to Mizzou, who also projects as a 141. Maybe Mizzou knew that Hayes wasn't considering them/they don't like him?

Does anyone know where Hayes is considering? With Zahid blowing up, you figure ASU is set for the time being from 174-197 with Valencia x 2 and Benick. Maruca as a 149. I have to figure Hayes would be a nice pickup 133-141.

Especially with Clayton committing to Mizzou, who also projects as a 141. Maybe Mizzou knew that Hayes wasn't considering them/they don't like him?

Dalton Brady RsFR is transferring to ASU and is 133 or 141. Also, Oliver Pierce RsFR is transferring in at 149.   Have not heard anything else about the lower weights. Returning RsFR Mech Spraggins and Kaleb Baker are 141 lbers that were Top 100 recruits.

With the Pierce transfer, Villareal already there and Maruca coming next year, it seems they may have a bit of a logjam at 49/57. Not that having too much talent is a bad thing, but is it possible they foresee any of these 3 growing into 65 or could any suck down to 41?

Should be a great lineup in a couple years with the Valencia's and Benick, throw in Pendleton to roll with those guys and it should be a lot of fun to watch! Great for wrestling to have a PAC-12 team thrown in the mix with the usual suspects of Iowa, Penn St, Minny, Ohio St, Okie St and Cornell. I loved seeing Boise St start the 2011 season ranked #2, even tho it didn't work out for them to get a podium finish it was still cool to see!

Bit of a macro-view question. Does this help or hurt other Pac-12 schools?

Obviously the bar is raised for the other schools in the division, but does that help them land top recruits by pitching "You get to compete against top-tier ASU every year" or, do they continue to land the same kids they have been? 

*Note, I am not bashing current Pac-12 teams/wrestlers, but objectively they have obviously been a tier below the other top teams/conferences.* 

Yup J Robs age is what sent him elsewhere. Spot on analysis TBar.

I didn't say that is what sent him to Zeke's coaching at Arizona State, just that Benick could benefit by having it. Jones is obviously hot right now. Good for him, and I think in the long run this is a great choice by Benick. 

Edited by TBar1977

Regarding 165#, a lot will depend on where the Valencia brothers want to wrestle. Maybe they go 165 and 174. Zahid put on 50 lbs this year to go from 132 to 182.  But also must remember, these kids in the 2015 recruiting class have 1 or 2 years before they wrestle in college.

Exciting times in the Desert. 2015 is going to be a class like no other.

Bit of a macro-view question. Does this help or hurt other Pac-12 schools?

Obviously the bar is raised for the other schools in the division, but does that help them land top recruits by pitching "You get to compete against top-tier ASU every year" or, do they continue to land the same kids they have been? 

*Note, I am not bashing current Pac-12 teams/wrestlers, but objectively they have obviously been a tier below the other top teams/conferences.*

It certainly cant hurt.  But really, it has to help tremendously. Zalesky already has great guys over at OSU. Boise St has been really far up in the rankings in the past and have a great program.  Stanford is always tough.  Now it may help some of the other California teams keep some talent from leaving the state. Certainly will be exciting.  Hopefully what is does do is bring some of the top teams out to the West coast now that there may be a few teams worth wrestling while having to traveling so far.

With ASU pulling in the big names, how much pressure does this put on major programs that have underperformed in the past few years? Some have said Brands is on a hot seat (which I do not agree with), but programs must be feeling the pressure to make some adjustments to keep up with Zeke's pace in recruiting... It will be interesting to see what other big names come off the board soon and if anymore head out west.

rlw028,

Mizzou along with other colleges are recruiting Hayes.  Clayton is a good pickup for Mizzou not only because he's a solid competitor but also because he's a local wrestler.  With Cox attending Mizzou (Clayton's former EEW teammate) & stepdad a former MU coach, that recruiting process was no brainier.  Clayton and Hayes aren't projected to be at the same weight as far as MU is concerned.  Even if they end up at the same weight, I'll go with Hayes over Clayton.

One thing's for certain:  With Larry Jones at ASU, the powerhouse Big Ten programs plus a scattered few outside the conference are now going to have a tougher time landing recruits.  It's going to be a real feeding frenzy for the big ones who are left.  Guys like Stroker and Piccininni are going to get even larger offers.

Jones is stepping into ASU with the sort of impact we saw from Cael at PSU.  He's got alum support and a school that sells itself.  Whether or not he can keep it up remains to be seen (I suspect he will) but there is little reason not to think ASU is a few years away from being a perennial power.  

Assuming Benick chose ASU and Zeke over Minn. and JRob. I think he made the right choice just due to JRob's age.

JRob's age has nothing to do with it. Nathan Rose and Bobby Steveson are why Benick didn't choose Minnesota. Edited by powerhalf

JRob's age has nothing to do with it. Nathan Rose and Bobby Steveson are why Benick didn't choose Minnesota.

With Rose and Steveson taking up roster and scholarship space I'm guessing there was no offer from Minnesota left for him to really consider. So its less of choosing one over the other and more about Benick taking what he felt was the best scholarship and roster offer available to him.