Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Open D1 Coaching Positions

Anybody heard anything about these?

Cal Poly Assistant - to replace Jamill Kelly (NC State)

Binghamton Assistant - to replace Frank Beasley (NC State)

Utah Valley Assistant - job is posted

Appalachian State Assistant - job is posted

Illinois Volunteer - to replace Cory Cooperman

Davidson Assistant - job is posted

Campbell Assistant - job is posted

Oregon State Director of Operations - to replace Nick Simmons (Indiana)

In addition, Virginia Tech has posted the Assistant Coach Position as TBA (was Nate Yetzer) and there is word on the boards of a huge addition for VT at that position. I have no info on it & its driving me crazy not knowing.

VT did have the job posted awhile ago, but it's not anymore, so I assume you're right and all that's left is to make an announcement. I haven't seen anything about any of the other positions since I posted the original message. Some of the positions are probably like VT where it's been decided and someone is there or about to be; there just hasn't been an announcement like there would be for a head coach.

VT is David Hoffman.

which leaves a position open at Bucknell.

Henson to Mizzou is probably the worst kept secret.

i assume Borshoff is the replacement for Beasley, unless you meant another Asst.

ive heard chatter on the Davidson and Campbell positions, but nothing definitive.

also heard Tyler Nauman to Drexel. not sure how solid that is though.

In addition, Virginia Tech has posted the Assistant Coach Position as TBA (was Nate Yetzer) and there is word on the boards of a huge addition for VT at that position. I have no info on it & its driving me crazy not knowing.

For the life of me I'm not sure why Hoffman is considered such an amazing and splashy hire, but I'll take a wait and see approach.

For the life of me I'm not sure why Hoffman is considered such an amazing and splashy hire, but I'll take a wait and see approach.

"Splashy" isn't the word I'd used, but it is always a plus to have a lower-weight coach, who's actually a lower-weight guy. Plus he's a VT grad, so that says a lot about the direction that the program is headed. It's a solid, if not splashy, hire. They've needed a lower-weight coach for some time and now they have one.

The squad is currently raising money for the Regional Training center, so there will be additional hires. I think all that news should break in the next few days.

sam.jpg

COLUMBIA, Mo. –The Mizzou wrestling program has filled out their coaching staff with the addition of Sammie Henson, announced today by head coach Brian Smith. Henson was born in St. Charles, Mo., and wrestled for Missouri in 1991.

A former All-American at Missouri and National Champion at Clemson, Henson returns to Columbia and will take over as an assistant coach, joining recently-announced assistant Joe Johnston, volunteer assistant Mark Ellis and director of operations Todd Schavrien. Henson began his collegiate career at Mizzou, wrestling under Wes Roper and winning the Big 8 title and earning All-America honors as a freshman, placing fifth at the 1991 NCAA Championships. He then transferred to Clemson and became a two-time National Champion, winning back-to-back titles at 118 pounds in 1993 and 1994.

“I have coached against Sammie for many years and have always had great respect for him,” stated Smith. “Having him back in his home state is not only exciting for the University and our program, but for the entire state of Missouri.”

One of the world’s great freestyle wrestlers, Henson won gold at 54 kg at the 1998 World Championships, and was the silver medalist at the 2000 Olympic Games. More recently, Henson served as an assistant coach at Cal Poly from 2007 to 2009 and was an assistant at the University of Oklahoma from 2009 to 2011. Henson took over as the head coach of the Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club in July 2011.

http://themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=25212

Where has Nate Yetzer (VT) gone?

Looks like he's taking over the new Wrestling Program at Ferrum College in VA. I'm sure that his experience with Coach Dresser at VT helped him to secure that position. In essence, KD had to build VT back from scratch after the previous coaches departure (name omitted on purpose).

So nothing yet for Cal Poly, Utah Valley, Appalachian State, Campbell, Davidson, and Binghamton? Also, Michigan State posted their Volunteer position on InterMat about two weeks ago.

Great news about Ferrum College starting wrestling. That's the direction the sport should be going.

July 24 update

No announcements made yet:

Cal Poly Assistant

Appalachian State Assistant

Campbell Assistant

Binghamton Assistant

Wisconsin Assistant

Clarion Assistant - no official announcement, but is reported to be Keith Ferraro

Davidson Assistant - announced today as former Davidson Assistant and Gardner-Webb wrestler Erik Wince

Campbell - CC Fisher

Appalachian State - Daren Burns

Drexel - Tyler Nauman

Illinois Volunteer - Wynn Michalak

Stanford Volunteer - Brandon Precin

Rutgers Director of Operations - Billy Ashnault

Open:

Wisconsin - Have to imagine there will be an announcement shortly

Northern Illinois - posted

NC State (Director of Operations) - no longer posted, but not yet announced as filled