• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Missourimatman

Missourimatman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:25 AM

I am curious to find out if you are payed equally as compared to other sports? For instance at my current position, the basketball and football coaches are paid 50% more than myself. Volleyball, softball and baseball are all paid more than wrestling.

I obviously do not coach for the money, yet at the same time I have a hard time swallowing the idea that the time of another sport's coach is worth more than another's.

#2 CoachWrestling

CoachWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:13 AM

It's a bummer that the wrestling coach gets less, but you have to think that in high school in most places football and basketball make the majority of the money for the athletic department. Pay reflects that, as does the added pressure a football and basketball coach can have. 

#3 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,505 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

In NJ the basketball and wrestling coaches are paid relatively the same.  In some schools they are paid exactly the same while at others there may be a couple hundred dollar difference between the two.  

#4 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,408 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

In my district coaches are paid equal to their counterpart gender sport. So since football coaches is well paid all the volleyball coaches are will paid. Since boy basketball coaches are well paid the girls basketball coahes are well paid. All the rest of the sports go way down in pay after that. Wrestling coaches are paid equal to girls gymnastics coaches, which isn't much.

#5 cardsfsc

cardsfsc

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:14 PM

My district reevaluated their coaches pay scale a couple years ago. A committee sat down and worked through every extra curricular position and graded it on about 9 criteria.  Then depending on the "score", the pay scale was adjusted.  Wrestling is paid pretty fair in regards to others in my district.  In fact, I think it is only 1 percent less than the football and basketball coaches.

I make just over 4 grand for coaching wrestling.

#6 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:33 AM

... in my district, in southwest ohio- wrestling head coach gets 1/2 to 1/3 LESS than football and basketball. I understand football due to larger number of players, but not basketball.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users