Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Cornell 2016

It is certainly not likely, but Cornell could have three guys on the 2016 Olympic Freestyle team: Kyle Dake, Gabe Dean and Nashon Garrett.

I am not saying that any one of these guys is the favorite, but each has a legitimate shot. 

I'd give Dake a 25% chance because he has to beat Burroughs (unlikely) and Taylor (likely). 

I give Dean about the same shot since he is already very good and is rapidly improving.  He looked fantastic at the junior worlds.

Garrett is also young and new to freestyle. He'd have to beat Hazewinkel, Escobedo, Delgado and whoever else emerges. But I'd give him a 10% chance. 

Multiplying these out, (.25 * .25 *.05) a nearly 1% chance of scoring this triple.

BTW, has any college team ever had three wrestlers on an Olympic Team in the 7 (now 6) weightclass era?

Okie State Olympians

2012 Scott

2008 Cormier (almost), Mocco

2004 Cormier, Guerrero, Kelly

2000 Nobody

1996 Cross, Monday

1992 Cross, J. Smith, Monday

1988 J. Smith, Monday

1984 Lee Roy Smith (Lewis)

Prior to the boycotted 1980 Olympics, OSU had at least 2 of their wrestlers on every Olympic team where we competed back to 1932, with a whopping 6 team members in 1936 (one wrestled for Canada).  Note that few of these guys like Uetake (Japan) wrestled on other countries Olympic teams. 

It is certainly not likely, but Cornell could have three guys on the 2016 Olympic Freestyle team: Kyle Dake, Gabe Dean and Nashon Garrett.

I am not saying that any one of these guys is the favorite, but each has a legitimate shot. 

I'd give Dake a 25% chance because he has to beat Burroughs (unlikely) and Taylor (likely). 

I give Dean about the same shot since he is already very good and is rapidly improving.  He looked fantastic at the junior worlds.

Garrett is also young and new to freestyle. He'd have to beat Hazewinkel, Escobedo, Delgado and whoever else emerges. But I'd give him a 10% chance. 

Multiplying these out, (.25 * .25 *.05) a nearly 1% chance of scoring this triple.

BTW, has any college team ever had three wrestlers on an Olympic Team in the 7 (now 6) weightclass era?

NJDan...Are you serious?   Not one of these guys will make the team and Dake is the only one that has a chance of making the finals of the trials.

I might actually give Garrett the best shot of making the team.  We've been poor in the lightest weight class since the Cejudo's retirement.  Garrett should improve past Hazewinkel in the next few years (assuming Haze is back to GR at the next trials), and seems more suited for FS than Delgado.  Dake is one of three studs in his weight class that will make qualifying for any of them difficult.  Dean has many peers at his age (see University Nationals) that will continue to improve as he does.

so, chances of either Garrett or Dean making the finals of 2016 olympic team trials is zero?

Is that what I said?   This thread is regarding the 2016 Olympic team...I do not think Garrett or Dean will make the finals of the US Olympic Trials.  Dake has the best shot. IMO.

NJDan...Are you serious?   Not one of these guys will make the team and Dake is the only one that has a chance of making the finals of the trials.

Is that what I said?   This thread is regarding the 2016 Olympic team...I do not think Garrett or Dean will make the finals of the US Olympic Trials.  Dake has the best shot. IMO.

looks to me like that's what you said! i think they both have a decent show at making the finals of the 2016 OTT. guess we'll have to wait and see!