Sign in to follow this  
Itmeagain

How do you rank the different division

I wouldn't worry too much about rankings between the divisions. The real question, for recruits and parents, is not what divisions are the best but what school and wrestling program is the best fit for the athlete.

But to answer your question, I think it depends on if you're talking about the champs in a division, the average wrestler in the division, or the teams (dual meets). There are a lot of anomalies in all the divisions and I think a lot of the rankings between them can change year to year.

I wouldn't worry too much about rankings between the divisions. The real question, for recruits and parents, is not what divisions are the best but what school and wrestling program is the best fit for the athlete.

But to answer your question, I think it depends on if you're talking about the champs in a division, the average wrestler in the division, or the teams (dual meets). There are a lot of anomalies in all the divisions and I think a lot of the rankings between them can change year to year.

That second sentence is dead on and I, for one, am happy that you typed it, especially in the order your typed it. As a former NJCAA coach, I always talked about school first when recruiting kids. It was difficult to convince the kids that they weren't there to wrestle above all else. Our staff always said, "you're not eligible, you don't wrestle."It's important to let these guys and their families know that they're not there to be used for their wrestling talent alone. They have a primary job to do, which is improve their grades and then matriculate to a four year school of their choice. Wrestling is secondary to that, always.

Your second paragraph, especially in the NJCAA, is right, too. 99% of the time the teams that win it are loaded with scholarship money. (In the NJCAA, schools are allowed to offer up to 16 scholarships/tuition waivers/athletic aid packages/whatever you want to call it; interestingly, those same teams are now fighting to increase that number to 20) The teams at the bottom of the points standings at nationals TEND to be the schools who have opted to be classified as Division III, which means they give zero scholarships/tuition waivers/athletic aid to their student-athletes. There's a lot of fluctuating that takes place among the schools outside of the top 10, but, for the most part, you usually find the same schools in the top five to eight every year.