Sign in to follow this  
sandwrestling

International Style added as a High School sport

It's pretty close to happening, if you live in Michigan.

I've just been in contact with the MHSAA after sending in a proposal to include Sand Wrestling as a spring sport. To cut to the chase, they are on board and seem excited about the benefits of adding this version of wresting as an officially sanctioned high school sport in Michigan. Before they go ahead and include Sand Wrestling, they are about to inquire with school districts across the state over the next two months to find out how many schools will be on board.

If you live in Michigan, you can help! Contact your local athletic director and tell them that you are interested in springtime wrestling.

If you are unaware about the sport of Sand Wrestling, I highly recommend checking out the website, www.sandwrestling.com

I do intend on contacting other High School Athletic Associations in other states, starting with Michigan's neighboring states. I sure hope all of you are on board, I believe this to be a huge step in the right direction for wrestling.

How many schools in Michigan have an indoor sand pit for sand wrestling, since it is still very cold outside in the spring in Michigan? Wouldn't this make a lot more sense to do in Hawaii?  My guess is you will probably be told not enough schools are on board, and for very good reason.

Edited by Billyhoyle

You might try getting them to relax current competition limits.

http://blog.mlive.com/saginaw_sports_extra/2008/03/column_michigan_high_school_sp.html

Doesn't sound like the group to help with your national promotional effort.

On the other hand, they could dump winter scholastic season and replace with an outdoor recreation. No need for mats, uniforms, heat. Eases scheduling gym use, fewer competitors, minimal meets, far lower costs. Yeah, this sounds like a good thing for wrestling...

Has it been added like it is in the Olympics, as you previously posted?

Edited by ccrider55

On the other hand, they could dump winter scholastic season and replace with an outdoor recreation. No need for mats, uniforms, heat. Eases scheduling gym use, fewer competitors, minimal meets, far lower costs. Yeah, this sounds like a good thing for wrestling...

Has it been added like it is in the Olympics, as you previously posted?

Then why just not go freestyle?

And no, this sport has not been added to the Olympics. It's just a case of a VERY vocal person spamming misinformation everywhere.

In the end, this guy is going to cause much more bad things to freestyle and greco than he even realizes. He thinks he's doing a good deed, but in the end, it's bad for all current wrestling styles.

And yeah, the northern hemisphere is NOT going to support sand wrestling, since we have about 3 months max of "SAND". Rest is mud and snow.