Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Something I noticed at Junior Worlds

A couple years ago there was a FANTASTIC analysis of the NCAA tournament in regards to what takedowns worked, how long scrambles lasted, etc.  I can't find the link right now.  Anyways, one thing that stood out to me was that most wrestlers only had 1 game plan or strategy for each match, and if that game plan/strategy wasn't working, they didn't know how to switch gears and try something different.  They kept trying the same thing, even if it wasn't working.  I noticed this with Snyder in his match he lost.  He kept hitting that high crotch, but got nowhere neer scoring from it.  Pico got taken out of his gameplan in the finals, and couldn't change his tactics...  This seemed pretty regular to me.  You guys/girls notice this as well?                                                   

Edited by Glane18

I get your point, but the fact is, Wrestling isn't Football.  You don't have the "time" to change tactics. It's not MMA, where you have MONTHS to prepare for ONE opponent.

Wrestling is just different in that manner.  Your job is to be YOUR best... be the best at YOUR attacks, have the ability to attack and have trained yourself to get to your best positions in a multitude of ways.  

Not sure what wrestling fans expect see when you say "change tactics."  Do you want him to start moving/wrestling like Anthony Valencia?  It doesn't work like that.  You are correct on the Snyder observation.  Not sure I would have went back to that HI-C.  But what makes a wrestler great IS his stubbornness, to a certain extent.  This is my best move, and its my opponents job to stop it.  That confidence cannot be taken away in the middle of the match to "change tactics."

I get your point, but the fact is, Wrestling isn't Football.  You don't have the "time" to change tactics. It's not MMA, where you have MONTHS to prepare for ONE opponent.

Wrestling is just different in that manner.  Your job is to be YOUR best... be the best at YOUR attacks, have the ability to attack and have trained yourself to get to your best positions in a multitude of ways.  

Not sure what wrestling fans expect see when you say "change tactics."  Do you want him to start moving/wrestling like Anthony Valencia?  It doesn't work like that.  You are correct on the Snyder observation.  Not sure I would have went back to that HI-C.  But what makes a wrestler great IS his stubbornness, to a certain extent.  This is my best move, and its my opponents job to stop it.  That confidence cannot be taken away in the middle of the match to "change tactics."

So very true and I agree with you.  It is tough to change tactics during a match and to scout every person in the world.  And I'm all about not adjusting styles because you are wrestling the Russian.  You should do what you are going to do, and control the match where you want it to be controlled.  I wonder if the other nations have back up plans in matches.  Maybe at the break, the coach tells them to switch to plan B, etc.?

Come on Glane, you didn't notice a damn thing.      Pico impressed and won a world silver, something you could only dream in your wettest dreams of ever accomplishing.   I wish Suzie was still here to set you straight.        

LOL.  If that seemed like a knock on him, it wasn't.  I've supported him since day one and have been very impressed with his success at every single level (even beating a D1 all american 3x while still in high school).  I think I was more critical of Snyder, who I also love watching and support.  It was just an observation I made. 

I can see both points that have been made.  Personally, I think that (and could very well be incorrect) sometimes we are not versatile enough.  Russians do have their specific style of wrestling/training/methodology... but they have a more versatile ways of scoring IMO.  I think the same can be said for the Iranians as of late as well.  So, they might not change tactics, but they don't just rely on one leg attack with maybe a couple of set ups.  If you look at some of our own legends... I, personally come to the same conclusion.  Smith is obviously noted for his low level attacks (and I know he was ahead of his time with this series obviously), but I also see many ducks and other attacks as well.... JMO.

A change in tactics can simply be changing a stance or becoming slightly less or more aggressive. There is a fine line between knowing when to stick to your original plan and when it's time to change tactics. I believe the greater you become, the better you are at finding that delicate balance.

Interesting discussion.  I think success at this level is oftentimes being aware of what your specific opponent is good at and not getting into those situations or positions. I believe you can do that and be offensive, but scouting is really important.