Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

World championships: Discussion, prediction, preview thread

yep, it was in January 2012. Yazdani won the 1st period 1-0, lost the 2nd 2-0 and got injured on his knee in process, he tried to continue but had to withdraw in middle of 3rd period while he was down 1-0. 

technically Gadisov cost himself a possible Olympic bronze because the same injury happened again in his Olympic semifinal, 

It is what it is. I'm sure Yazdani took some flack from injuring out if those eerily similar duals vs the Russians. He also won last years worlds just coming back from major knee surgery. Hard to judge how someone should react to an injury without experiencing it yourself.

It is what it is. I'm sure Yazdani took some flack from injuring out if those eerily similar duals vs the Russians. He also won last years worlds just coming back from major knee surgery. Hard to judge how someone should react to an injury without experiencing it yourself.

Just noticing how often his losses and "but he was injured" go together.

Don't need to experience each individual injury to think that's a cope out, especially when talking about one of the top 3 best p4p in the world right now.

The dual meet matches vs Gatsalov (posted above) and Gadisov (described above) ended with late injury defaults. Yazdani also has regular losses at 96.

At the Olympics he beat Gadisov early, injured his lbs in the quarters but still won and really tore it up in the semis vs Ukraine. His leg kept collapsing under him. He ended up injuring out of the semis and the bronze medal match up place 5th.

At the most recent worlds he was a last minute addition to the Iranian team due to the surgery and rehab on his knee. He won the worlds and everyone was talking about his comeback from injury until Burroughs upstaged him with the ankle thing.

Those are the facts as best as I remember them. Judge as you see fit.

Filas final rankings are out.

While there are still a few odd ones dye to the "don't count National tournaments" rule they have and 65 is just odd, they are now pretty defensible overall. Keep up the reasonably good work, I guess.

Man I can't friggin' wait for worlds to start!

If I am reading FILA correctly Yazdani has 4 loses the last 3 1/2 years. Three by inj default to Gatsalov, Gadisov and Andretiev. And one true loss to Nodekdze?? at 2012 World Cup. Kind of odd that alot of his loses are to All time greats. All those matches were close so I don't think he was faking it. Yazdani acts alot whne thing are not going his way and is a true gentlemen whn he is whipping your arse like he did Varner. I am one that thinks Yazdani is the best guy in the world if healthy. There is one guy that was 5-0 and owned Yazdani from 2004-2008, Mr Sajidov. Yazdani was 19-23 year old though but still.

Yazdani has two World gold medals to date. No World bronze or silvers and no Olympic medals. I'm pretty sure that is not yet an all time great. Let him win two more titles with one of those being the Olympics and then I will be on board.  

Also, I will not be surprised if Gadisov beats him in Tashkent. 

In special trials, he beat Parshin 6:2 an hour ago, so he will wrestle at 130 GR at the worlds :)

akzent,

Why did Mahkov go greco? Russia needs depth at 125k in freestyle very badly. He was a three time world champ in freestyle. Is it beacause he can not beat Gatsalov? That seems hard to believe becasue he walks around like 305 lbs and is pretty agile. Just curious.  

No idea. Maybe because he feels better at 130 than at 125, though 5 kg difference isn't to big. Anyway he has always had problems with diet/weight. He cannot challenge Gatsalov in the last hours before the flight to Tashkent since Gatsalov has won some competitions in HWT and has earned the spot in the world team, whereas this isn't the case in GR. So Makhov did it. Notice he isn't a newcomer in GR. In his early Jr. years, he wrestled both in FS and GR, later he chose FS but didn't stop to talk (in interviews) over the years he would like to try GR again.

Edited by akzent

Can't believe they are having wrestle offs the week of worlds.

I can't image Makhov has the par terre to really challenge Lopez or Kayaalp but I really want to see those matches now. Imagine having a guy medal in both style in today's era.

So I had a little free time at work today and decided to go thru recent world results and come up with some numbers that i thought people might find interesting, I know I did! I took the last 5 worlds level championships (worlds '09-'11, Olympics in '12 and worlds last year) and tallied by country the total number of medals won, number of different wrestlers to medal, total gold medals and different number of champs.

Not surprisingly, Russia is basically in a class of their own. Iran and Azerbijian are extremely close and are definitely a step above the rest. After that you have a group of 5 or 6 countries that are all pretty comparable. So, here is what I have.

Russia: 26 medals, 14 different wrestlers have medaled, 13 gold medals, 7 different world champs

Iran: 17 medals, 10 different wrestlers, 5 gold, 3 different champs

Azerbijian: 16 medals, 8 different wrestlers, 4 gold, 3 different champs

Here are the rest of the numbers for everyone besides the big 3:

Most medals: Georgia 11, USA, Ukraine 8, Cuba 7, India, Japan, Uzbekistan 6, Turkey, Kazakstan 5, Belarus 4, Bulgaria, Hungary 3, North Korea, Puerto Rico, Greece 2, Mongolia, Krygykstan, Armenia 1.

Different wrestlers to win medals: Georgia 7, USA, India, Ukraine 5, Cuba, Uzbekistan, Belarus, Kazakstan 4, Turkey, Japan, Bulgaria 3, Hungary, Puerto Rico 2, Armenia, Greece, North Korea, Mongolia, Krygykstan 1.

Most gold: USA 4, Uzbekistan 2, India, Japan, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belarus, Armenia, North Korea 1

Different champs: USA, Uzbekistan 2, India, Japan, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belarus, Armenia, North Korea 1

Awsome thread, one of the best ever on internation wrestling.

I am just going to go generic with my choices for just USA. I am a little intimidated to make overall choices..... you guys are good.

Kennedy - I wish him the best.

Ramos - I wish him the best.

Metcalf - Medals, gold woudn't surprise me.

Marble - Medals, guy beat Burroughs. Obviously gold is a chance

Burroughs - Going out on a limb but I say Gold.

Ruth - An enigma, anywhere from gold to one and out. I say 5th and then starts his dynasty.

Varner - Medals.

Dlagnev - Medals.

Team Russia first, USA and Iran battle it out for second.

The regional training thing is/was an excellent idea. Seems to have made a big difference.

I am really interested to see what improvements and adjustments Ruth has made. IMHO, the key for Ruth will be controlling his hips from coming up. Just about all of his losses and close matches were a result of him letting his hips get too high. If Ruth can keep his hips down then he has a great shot to win it. If Ruth looses it will be because he let his hips get high.

Only a couple more days to go! Watch the Sunday night football game, about the time that ends the wrestling will start! Should I feel guilty about burning a couple sick days to stay up all night watching a wrestling tournament? Nah! We've got a newborn at home, I just tell the wife I can do all the late night feelings so she can sleep, while I watch wrestling of course. Feels like a nice give and take to me!

I did my previews but I wasn't brave enough to make actual picks, just my list of contenders, guess I should grow a pair get off the fence and make some picks!

57: Khingeshvilli, Georgia. Too close to call between Lebedeev and Rahimi so I didn't take either. Russia and Iran can't win every weight can they? I was surprised when I crunched those numbers just how many medals Georgia has won over the years, I knew they were good but didn't realize how good. Despite a lot of medals, they haven't won a gold since Beijing, so I'll pick em to get one here.

61: Aliyev, Azerbijian. Again, Russia and Iran can't win em all, going with the hot hand here.

65: Metcalf! Maybe picking with my heart over my head but I don't care, I'll go out on the limb and hope I'm not jinxing him.

70: Iran (can't remember how to spell it, too lazy to look it up). Tough to score on, tough to beat.

74: The champ, and I agree with Willie on his Flo podcast, he may do something even more ridiculous this year. Two good ankles, 2 point takedowns, 3 minute periods, Burroughs may tech or pin his way thru. His loss to Marable seemed to light an extra fire at the World Cup when he was pinning fools and making it look easy. It's not a question of if, it's a matter of by how much.

86: Sadulaev, mother Russia. He may not be flashy, but he is amazing none the less. I buy the hype of him being the next Russian great. Poised beyond his years, built like a house, knows how to win, already.

97: Gadisov, Russia. I think he has finally turned a corner and finally fulfills his potential. A little maturity and mental toughness go a long way, sounds like he is there. Be know he has the tools to beat everyone, just needs to do it on the big stage and I think he will.

125: Akgul, Turkey. Hard to pick against a living legend like Gatsalov, but can he continue to make up for the size difference? The Turk has been winning a lot, is younger and bigger, plus I wanted to pick another country to get gold.

Team: Russia gets somewhere between 6-8 medals, close to medaling in the weights they don't and takes back their title they narrowly lost last year in somewhat of a rebuilding year. Iran takes second, similiar to Russia with 6 or 7 medals, competitive in all 8 and narrowly miss out on repeating. USA takes 3rd, holding off a much improved Azerbijian. Georgia nips at Azerbijian's heels but rounds out the top 5.

Maybe when draws come out I'll take a shot at predicting all the medalists