Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

World championships: Discussion, prediction, preview thread

Ok, brackets are out, time to make some picks.

57: Lebedev over Rahimi in quarters, then beats Yang in semis (Kurbanov could upset Yang in quarters). Khingshevili over Peker in the other semi. Khingshevili over Lebedev in finals. Rahimi over Yang for one bronze, Peker or Azerbijian for other bronze. Ramos wins first, loses to Peker and is eliminated when Peker loses in semis.

70: I'm gonna say Marable runs the gauntlet to make the finals. He has to go thru 4 of the best in the weight to make the finals, but I'll say he does it. He beats the Russian in the semis, Tsabalov wins bronze over, all 3 guys Marable beats prior to the Russian has a great chance to make the bronze bout, but I'll say it's Shabanu. On the top half Housseinkhani makes the finals, beats Gor in quarters, Azerbijian in semis. Gor from Turkey over Azerbijian for other bronze. Marable's amazing run comes to an unfortunate end in the finals.

86. Sadualev over Ganev in quarters then Marghashvilli in semis. Marghashvilli over Ganev for bronze. On the bottom side, Vereb makes semis, other quarter Ruth pulls the upset, beats Iran, wins his first 3 but falls to Salas in quarters. Salas over Vereb pulls Ruth back in, wins his repechage but falls to the more experienced Vereb for bronze. Sadualev over Salas in finals.

125: Gatsalov cruises to semis. Ukraine knocks off Ghasemi in first round, beats a good home town Kurbanov in the next round, but falls to Gatsalov in semis. Akgul and Dlagnev win their first two easily, Akgul over Dlagnev in quarters. Georgia beats former champ from Belarus in first round, makes it to semis but falls to Akgul, pulling Dlagnev back in. Dlagnev wins repechage, falls to Georgia for his 4th straight 5th place finish. Ukraine gets the other bronze over Kazakstan. Akgul over Gatsalov.

I hope I'm wrong on the USA picks! If Ruth can beat Mohammadian he can beat Salas or Vereb. I could see him getting silver or bronze, but I could also see him losing to the Iranian and not getting pulled back. I hope Marable wins it all, and if he can make it thru his meat grinder bracket there's no reason he can't. I hope Dlagnev gets over the hump and gets another medal, preferably gold! Ramos could get a top 5 finish, that Turk isn't unbeatable.

I can't wait for midnight!

nice run down MA_wrestler. i also hope you're wrong on the US picks but can't fault you for being honest!

i dont think its likely but i feel like everyone is a medal threat, and everyone but Ramos is a gold medal threat (no slight to Ramos intended).

football, football, football then wrestling. then work? eh, I'll worry about that later. 

I just read that Mohammadian beat Ruth at University Worlds last year, so I guess in that regard it would be considered an upset. Ruth has improved a ridiculous amount since then, so I think it's very winnable for him, but on paper I think the Iranian would be favored.