Sign in to follow this  
armspin

Questions going into worlds

Didn't want to clog up the awesome previews in the other WC thread. Here are the burning questions I have in my mind going into this years worlds.

1: how does 57 go down? This weight is a log jam with the big 3 (Khinegashvilli, Lebedev, Rahimi) too close to call IMO. And the thing is it wouldn't even surprise me if none of them won. These 3 often win through scrambling and determination rather than pure domination and the field behind them in very deep (Yang, Kaliev, Mansurov, some transplanted Russians, and do on).

2: will Gadisov step up? Too often this supremely talented superstar has found ways to lose late and he's still without world medal. Anything else this year would be a huge disappointment.

3: will 84 get some consistency? For years now this weight has been filled with incredible wrestlers who nevertheless have obvious flaws, and been really tough to predict. I guess Sadullaev is the favorite but he's young and if he goes down there is about 10 guys I could see winning.

4: How's Tsargush. We've seen him ultra boring, as well as wild and kind if sloppy. Neither has been enough to win in the Burroughs era. He hasn't wrestled much lately. If he's somehow trained himself to a new level we could be in for another epic bout vs JB. If he's been, as I fear, not doing much, we could see this once proud Russian take an embarrassing loss.

5: who is the best wrestler on Earth? There has been a lot of fun discussion comparing Burroughs and Yazdani (and Gatsalov) to decide the best p4p on Earth. If on or more of them gets beat here the picture becomes much clearer, and if they win we get to watch greatness in real time.

great questions and all topics i will be following during the tournament. wish i had more to add. 

i will say i'm probably most interested in 86 this year. lacks the star power but the absurd jumps in weight (12 and 11 kilos on either side!) means there should be plenty of depth as there is no where for else for wrestlers to go. dont know who's going to step up but i like Cuba's Salas. it's also great having Ruth in there because he is a wild card and i can't wait to see what he does. 

I think Salas is the best talent but he fell apart in last years finals, and he's been suspended for throwing matches before, both if which make him a high risk pick. Ruth, like many other guys here has huge upside (unique style, deceptive setups, slick finishes) and significant weaknesses (inexperienced, sloppy, exposes back a lot). Truly anything can happen here.

57 is Lebedev's IMO but of course I'd love to see Ramos beat that azz.  It's just that Lebedev is so seasoned.    

Is 86 not very deep in Europe?  I was surprised to see the young Russian wrestle Gaidarov who I remember wrestling Saitiev in NYC in 2003.  That was at 74kg 11 years ago.  Is Ukraine's Aldatov wrestling?  I agree with the others that Salas looks very tough.  I'd love to somehow see a Ruth Salas final.  

Remember Tsragush did wrestle in the Universities last year beating Taylor along the way so he hasn't exactly been inactive over the last year.  He is always very dangerous.  Hopefully Burroughs (if they meet) can widen the gap but their matches have always seemed so close to me.

Burroughs is the best P4P.   

Edited by AnklePicker

TheOpenMat has a very nice searchable database with all the entries for the 2014 worlds. love the data sets at theopenmat. they are some of the most user friendly of any media outlet, wrestling or otherwise. 

we won't know exactly who's wrestling until weigh ins obv, but each style has it's own search box and you can enter in whatever country you want and the competitors listed comes up. or you can search by individual wrestler. 

no Aldatov for UKR. some dude name Tsotadze is in the 86 spot. sounds Georgian? 

also noticed the Russian entries have been corrected. Tsabolov at 70 and Tsargush. Tsounds right this time.

Cuba only has 4 entries. kind of concerning? do they have funding problems? hope it's just a blip but i'm worried. 

also see Gaidarov at 74 for Belarus and Shabanov at 70. 

edit: citation updated - my bad Jason! blog post updated too. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

Wow, I'm flattered people like my preview thread so much, thanks for that! In actuality, I was starting that thread in hopes of having conversations like these all in one central thread, I was just using previews as conversation starters. But it's ok, more threads equal more good discussion!

Didn't want to clog up the awesome previews in the other WC thread. Here are the burning questions I have in my mind going into this years worlds.

1: how does 57 go down? This weight is a log jam with the big 3 (Khinegashvilli, Lebedev, Rahimi) too close to call IMO. And the thing is it wouldn't even surprise me if none of them won. These 3 often win through scrambling and determination rather than pure domination and the field behind them in very deep (Yang, Kaliev, Mansurov, some transplanted Russians, and do on).

2: will Gadisov step up? Too often this supremely talented superstar has found ways to lose late and he's still without world medal. Anything else this year would be a huge disappointment.

3: will 84 get some consistency? For years now this weight has been filled with incredible wrestlers who nevertheless have obvious flaws, and been really tough to predict. I guess Sadullaev is the favorite but he's young and if he goes down there is about 10 guys I could see winning.

4: How's Tsargush. We've seen him ultra boring, as well as wild and kind if sloppy. Neither has been enough to win in the Burroughs era. He hasn't wrestled much lately. If he's somehow trained himself to a new level we could be in for another epic bout vs JB. If he's been, as I fear, not doing much, we could see this once proud Russian take an embarrassing loss.

5: who is the best wrestler on Earth? There has been a lot of fun discussion comparing Burroughs and Yazdani (and Gatsalov) to decide the best p4p on Earth. If on or more of them gets beat here the picture becomes much clearer, and if they win we get to watch greatness in real time.

1. Agreed, huge log jam. A bunch of different guys can win this weight(ahem, Tony), but if I had to pick one name, I'll go with Rahimi.

2. Gadisov is my favorite to win this weight class in Tashkent. This may sound crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jake beat both, Gaz and Yaz this time around. Wouldn't it be great to see someone foot stomp Yazdani? Oh yeah, let's not forget the Cuban at this weight class. Cortina (if he's the entry) was a monster at Pan Am's.

3. 84kg will be fun. The kids might steal the show.

4. If Tsargush is representing Russia, he'll still be top notch. He's probably doing everything he can to try to beat JB. The Champ has been on another level since he lost to Marable. I hope Jordan torches the field here with a lot of sticks.

5. Yes armspin, this World Championships might tell us who the best p4p is, or perhaps the argument may go on for another year. Nonetheless, the World's are gonna be great!

Tsargush is the one person that makes me really nervous against the champ.  That saying, I'm stilling picking JB, but he's had to pulls some tricks out to beat him the past two times.  Seems like when Tsargush got that Russian 2 on 1 on burroughs, he scored just about every time.  Hopefully JB can widen the gap if they meet....  Are they separating the top two ranked wrestlers this year?  I know that's one of the new rules, but didn't know if that's still enacted. 

Also I don't think Tsargush is ranked, at least bit highly, because FILAs ranking system favors recents results over previous championships and doesn't count National tournaments.

I think Tsargush has a shot at JB for sure if he can work that tie, slow down the pace, maybe score in par terre. However he'd need to wrestle the match of his life and hope Burroughs messes up. Burroughs had improved since their two epic encounters and I'm not sure Tsargush has.