Sign in to follow this  
Coolbeans

World Draws

57: Lebedev vs Rahimi should happen in the quarters on the top half of the bracket. Yang could potentially meet the winner I. The semis. Khinchegashvilli is on the other half. Ramos is in the bottom quarter bracket, if he wins his first match he could potentially have last years bronze medalist Peker from Turkey.

70: Tough draw for Marable, he has. 2012 Olympic bronze medalist first round (granted that was at 66, but still no gimme there). If he wins he could have the Armenian in the 2nd round who is one of the higher ranked wrestlers at this weight. If he gets thru that he would have Shabanov from Belarus in the quarters, the guy who gave Burroughs a tough match last year. Possible matchup with Russia in the semis. If Marable makes the finals he will really have earned it. On the plus side, Iran is on the other half of the bracket. Possible Iran vs Gor from Turkey in quarters with Gor being another top ranked guy. Azerbijian possible semis opponent for Iran on top. Also worth mentioning, NCAA star Abdurkhamonov could see Iran in 2nd round.

Edited by MA_Wrestler

86: Huge bracket, and Ruth is in the bottom quarter so he has a match in the round of 64. If he wins his first he will have his hands full with Iran in the 2nd round. Bad news is Salas from Cuba is in the bottom quarter as well. Hopefully Ruth can beat the Iranian or hope that Iran could go on to upset one of the favorites in Salas. The other quarter bracket on the bottom side has returning medalist Vereb from Hungary, as well as Espinal who. Pull meet Dolly from Ireland or Azerbijian in 2nd round.

Top half of the bracket has Marghashvilli from Georgia in the top quarter. The other quarter on top has Sadualev and former world champ Ganev meeting up in the quarters.

125: Gatsalov vs Ghasemi in the top half of the bracket. Ghasemi has very good Ukrainian in first round, possibly Azerbijian in 2nd. Less than 32 here, 2 wins and Gatsalov is in semis. On bottom half Dlagnev has Akgul in the quarters. Bottom quarter has past medalist from Georgia vs former world champ from Belarus in first round. I think the winner of that makes the semis vs the winner of Dlagnev and Akgul.

Edited by MA_Wrestler

At 125KG, shouldn't Russia and Ukraine have been placed on other sides of the bracket?  I was under the impression that the countries from last year's finals wouldn't be on the same side.  (Gatsalov vs. Zaseev was the final from 2013, no?)  

At 125KG, shouldn't Russia and Ukraine have been placed on other sides of the bracket?  I was under the impression that the countries from last year's finals wouldn't be on the same side.  (Gatsalov vs. Zaseev was the final from 2013, no?)

Different Ukrainian this year. Ukraines entry this year is Khotsianviskyl, whom I believe won the Golden Grand Prix.

http://arena.fila-wrestling.com/weight-category/c475d798-2f61-11e4-b53b-080027880ca6

Pairings for 57kg

http://arena.fila-wrestling.com/weight-category/show/3865d054-2f66-11e4-b53b-080027880ca6/bracket/print

Decent draw, opens with MGL ERDENEBAT, Lebedev and Rahimi are on the other side, would see KHINCHEGASHVILI in semis.

Pairings for 70kg

http://arena.fila-wrestling.com/weight-category/show/38ea85e3-2f66-11e4-b53b-080027880ca6/bracket/print

Opens with KAZ TANATAROV, HOSSEINKHANI is on opposite side.

Pairings for 86kg

Opens with TKM MELEJAYEV, would see IRI MOHAMMADIAN second round, Russian on the other side.

Pairings for 125kg

Opens with MDA ROMANOV, avoids Gatsalov and Ghasemi.

I do know it is a different athlete from Ukraine this year and that the countries would be placed on opposite brackets regardless of who the representative was.  That Iran would be opposite Burrough's despite the fact that it's not Akbari this year, etc.  

Looks like Metalf has a decent draw. He would hit the AZE Muslimov in the quarters, and the Iranian in the semi's. Both are beatable, but according to MA_wrestler's preview the AZE was the guy that got up 6-0 on Metcalf. Luckily, the RUS Romanov, Franklin Gomez, the Mongolian, Novachkov, and the (World Champ?) Armenian are all on the top half of the bracket.

Brackets are out for tomorrow...

Kennedy is in the larger bottom half of his bracket... start off with Kaliyeu (BLR) and would likely see Aliyev (AZE) in round of 16.  Seems like a tough draw there.  If he survives there his quarter doesn't look as bad.  Of course then you have Bogomoev (RUS) in the semi's.  Honestly though when you look at the top half it is easy to see just how freaking loaded this weight is.

Metcalf has Mohammadi (IRI) on his side but wouldn't be until the semi's.  Likely quarter with Muslimov (AZE) I would think, which we know is beatable but makes me nervous.  He starts with KOR and would then get the winner of Kaya (TUR) (who I think is the Turk Pico wrestled) and Kim (PRK).  Brent needs to get that first round hurdle off his back and then go to work.  He knows he can beat anyone on his side.  All of that is in the bottom half.  Top half has some US interest with Franklin Gomez representing Puerto Rico and Boris Novachkov representing Bulgaria.  Russian and Armenian hammers up there too.

First thing I noticed was potential for a Burroughs vs Tsargush (RUS) semi-final.  I would imagine he sees Kurbanov (UZB) in the quarters.  Theoretically looks like biggest challenges are on his side but can't overlook anyone up there.

Looking at Varner's weight... Gadisov (RUS) and Yazdani (IRI) are in the top half but wouldn't meet until semi's.  Varner in what I would think it is a relatively clear quarter on the bottom half... decent separation as he wouldn't meet Gazyumov (AZE) until the semi's.  I think many have stated they thought Gazyumov was his most favorable match-up out of the big three but I could be wrong.

Varner did get the better half. But there will likley be a rematch of the Olympic finals inthe 2nd round! Then on the very bottom you have Gaz and a very tough GEO guy who has beat Yazdani at the 2012 wolrd cup. Sick weight!

Metcalf is in teh best postion I have seen in all his world meets. We will see what happens.

Kennedy has a long tough road with an extra match and the world champ on his side. He wins this then he is the man!

Burroughs, well it really doesn't matter if he gets Tsugush with an extra 1st round match. He will dominate this weight.

Wow, everyone's stealing my thunder with the bracket breakdowns. Just kidding, it's all in fun. I'll probably be repeating a lot of what's already been said but I'll do mine anyway, with a few other observations.

61: First thing I noticed was last years silver vs last years bronze in the first round, Dubov vs Iran (that last name is a nightmare!). Winner of that one should have pretty clear path to semis or even finals. Not familiar with anyone in the top quarter bracket, but the Turk is there with no real superstars, so if they want to try and hold on to 2nd or 3rd place they could really use a good performance there. Kennedy vs Alyiev 2nd round not ideal but we've seen Kennedy take him to the wire. On the plus side if he does lose there's a good shot at being pulled back in, unless the Russian were to pull the upset, which is definitely possible. Kennedy has beaten Bogomoev, so if he can get past Alyiev he is in great shape!

65: The 2nd round in this weight will be brutal, last years champ vs last years bronze, Safaryan vs Ganzorig. Also in that quarter Romanov vs Gomes possible 2nd round. Only 1 of those 4 will make semis, wow. The next quarter doesn't seem nearly as tough, with Novochkov being the highest ranked wrestler. My guess is whoever survives the top quarter will the finalist. As already pointed out, Metcalf finally has a decent draw. He has to be careful tho, Turk in 2nd round and they are having a good tournament as a team, could be some extra motivation there. Azerbijian in quarters, can't afford to spot him a 6-0 lead again and expect to win with a big move, gonna need to be sharp right from the start. Iranian should have clear path to semis on his quarter bracket. Some have said he may be Metcalf's worst matchup style wise, but we'll see what happens.

74: First thing I noticed here is Azerbijian sent Alyiev not Hasanov. Aliyev won bronze in 2011 after losing to Burroughs in the semis that year. Burroughs bs Kurbanov in quarter then vs Tsargush in semis seems like pretty safe bet. The next quarter is tough with bronze medalist Hatos possibly meeting up with Aliyev 2nd round, winner possibly having Demitras from Turkey in quarters. Hatos first has to get by Iran who is supposed to be really good. Could Iran meet Burroughs in the finals for the 4th straight year? Demitras is the highest ranked Turk going on day 2 so they really need him to step up if they want a top 3 finish. Gaidarov was ranked 2nd at 86 before dropping, so I imagine he will be big and powerful at this weight. He could see Lopez from Cuba in the bottom quarter.

97: Couldn't ask for better separation in this bracket with the big 4 all being in different quarter brackets. If this were seeded NCAA style Varner and Andretsiev would be 4/5 and would meet before the semis anyway, so it seems fitting to me that they meet, even tho it's the 2nd round instead of the quarters, but that's not big deal.

Overall I can't help but think just how well balanced all 8 brackets have been, can't really ask for better separation of the top guys at all weights. Team race should be great. Iran and Russia once again March out 4 guys capable of winning a medal, with a couple real food medal threats each. Seems to me the team title is still very much up for grabs between them. The battle for third could get interesting. The US and Azerbijian only combined for 1 medal on day 1, but both have 4 legit medal threats with a couple gold threats. Turkey will need some great performances from unlikely places to hold on to third in my opinion. The USA and Azerbijian could potentially meet up head to head in the 2nd round of 61, 3rd round of 65 and 4th round of 97 (all pretty likely matchups) and that could go a long way to determining 3rd.

My predictions for the first 4 weights weren't that great, but I might as well take another crack at it.

61: I'll take the Iranian to make the finals in the top half, with his first round opponent being pulled back in and coming thru to get bronze. On the bottom, Aliyev beats Kennedy then pulls him back in by making finals. Kennedy advances to bronze match but drops this one to Bogomoev. Aliyev over Iran in finals.

65: Romanov comes thru the meat grinder top quarter all the way to the finals. Someone else from that top quarter that he pulls back in will win bronze, and I'll go with the Mongolian. I picked Metcalf before the tournament so I'm gonna stick with him, whether I'm picking with my heart over my head I don't know, but he beats Azerbijian again then beat Iran in semis. The Iranian is older, I think I heard he's like 32, so maybe after 3 matches he's a little worn out, and Metcalf will only get stronger the later in the tournament he goes, so I think it's very conceivable that he does this. Iran with bronze over Azerbijian, Metcalf over Russian for gold.

74: Burroughs over Kurbanov then over Tsargush. Tsargush over Kurbanov for bronze. Iran comes out of brutal quarter bracket to make semi, loses to Bulgarian. Iran over Lopez for bronze, the champ remains the champ.

97: I picked Gadisov before the tournament, I gotta stick with him. Gadisov vs Yadzani will be one heck of a semi, but I have to take Gadisov. Yazdani cruises to bronze. Varner will beat the Ukrainian but not Gayzumov, then he gets his 2nd bronze. Gadisov finally breaks thru and gets the gold, Gayzumov settles for 3rd career silver.

So, my picks would have Russia with a gold, silver and 2 bronze, giving them 7 total medals, 3 gold, a silver and 3 bronze, good enough for the title. Iran gets a silver and 3 bronze, to go with a silver and 2 bronze from the 1st day, enough to out distance the 3rd place team by quite a bit whit not enough to challenge Russia.

I have the US with 2 gold, a bronze and a 5th. Azerbijian has a gold, silver and a 5th. That's 4 medals plus a 5th for the US total, and only 2 medals and 2 5th for Azerbijian. I think this would have US in 3rd, Turkey in 4th and Azerbijian in 5th.

Go USA, can't wait!

Didn't mean to steal any of your thunder, MA! I've really appreciated your previews. I have a tough time keeping track of names, countries, and world finishes so my bracket analysis was done just by using your weight-by-weight breakdowns.

If I had to make predictions I'd agree with most of what you said, but I think Yazdani wins 97. I'd love to see Jake make the finals, but I think he'll ultimately have to settle for bronze. I'm with you on 5th for Kennedy, Gold for Metcalf, and Gold for Burroughs. A Gomez vs Metcalf final would be amazing, but I think Franklin is a little too undersized to get through that tough quarter.

I'm only joking about stealing my thunder, it's all for fun. The more people that makes these posts the more fun discussion we can have! I'd love to see Metcalf vs Gomes too, I think Metcalf would crush Gomes, I'm much more worried about the Russian than I would be Gomez. He's gotta get there first tho!

here's something: the four Chinese wrestlers from the first round used a grand total of 11 letters to spell all their names. Bi, Deng, Gui and Qi. That's only 2.75 letters per wrestler. in contrast, the 4 Georgian wrestlers used 50 letters, or 12.5 per name. JATCHVADZE, KHINCHEGASHVILI, MARSAGISHVILI and SAKANDELIDZE.

sorry, the extant of my "analysis" at the moment!