Sign in to follow this  
smittyfan

Playground Sports

Wrestling is suppressed in so many ways.  One interesting reason why participation in wrestling is not more popular than it is, relates to exposure.  Every elementary playground in the country, has the following.  Basketball goals, Baseball/softball fields.  In addition, equipment necessary to play football, soccer such as balls, goals, etc. are offered for play on a daily basis, on the playground.  All of those sports are represented with month long *approximately* units prepared and taught by professional physical education teachers.  Occasionally,  school districts allow wrestling units in their PE curriculum, most do not.  So in review, every single sport that has more participation than wrestling is promoted on every single playground in the US, and in most cases actually taught in the classroom...gym.  I would bet that less than 1% offer wrestling as a daily playground activity.  I'm not saying we would pass all sports in participation, but I'll bet wrestling would increase our numbers enough that our success on the World stage would increase exponentially.  It'll never happen,  but if every athlete in our country was exposed to this beautiful sport with the same level of opportunity as other sports, I think we would experience tremendous growth.  Haha, Playground champ = nice place to start.

Edited by smittyfan

Every PE class in the country, boys and girls, should have a self-defense unit, with wrestling being a big part of it. Seems like self-defense would be something every parent would want their kid to learn... it's just as important as learning to swim.

In other words, if you're not going to teach wrestling directly, then teach wrestling-based self-defense.

On a side note, last week before bedtime, I was reading my daughter a Berenstain Bears book from the library. In the story, they had wrestling in gym class and started an interscholastic wrestling league. Seriously, I couldn't believe it. It caught me off-guard--I had no idea when we checked it out. Anyway, if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Berenstain-Bears-Much-Teasing/dp/0679877061