Sign in to follow this  
Workers` Wrestling

Makhov to represent Russia in Greco at Worlds

Makhov soundly beat Farshin (who won the bronze at European championships and Russian nationals) in the control bout and will be competing in Greco in Tashkent. Karelin is praising him. Makhov claims Greco impresses him more than FS. Didn`t expect his Greco chances to play out so quickly. Wonder what others think...

I think it's awesome. Heavyweight Greco is arguably the deepest weight now. I think Makhov can compete with anyone on the feet bit might get beaten in par terre by Kayaalp or Lopez.

I just hope there is a clean winner here; too many drug and diving scandals at this weight in recent years.

This for some reason has got me excited about Greco this year. This guy threw Taymazov a few times at the 2010 worlds. Great on his feet with upper body. 286 is a perfect weight for this giant. Sure he cuts about 25 lbs. Heard 265 is why he retired two years ago. I am glad they upped the Heavy limit so some true big guys can compete.

Makhov soundly beat Farshin (who won the bronze at European championships and Russian nationals) in the control bout and will be competing in Greco in Tashkent. Karelin is praising him. Makhov claims Greco impresses him more than FS. Didn`t expect his Greco chances to play out so quickly. Wonder what others think...

link to the match video?

good to see there is more competition for second place at greco hwt.

I never saw the match myself, just the news. Somehow I don`t think it was open to public since it was probably organized for the sole purpose of helping Russian coaching staff make up their mind. I wouldn`t be surprised if someone from the staff got it recorded, but is probably not going to post it anywhere and give other teams a great scouting opportunity before the big competition.

A conspiracy theorist might point out that Lopez has lost strange matches in the past... And that Makhovs first world final against a Cuban was viewed with suspicion by some. A non-Lopez winner (Kayaalp could beat him also) is very feasible.

Coach Mike on bloody elbow points out that Cuban freestylers have lost their last 10 world finals. Doesn't directly apply to Lopez obviously... But wow.

in his latest WC preview post at Bloody Elbow, Mike Riordan mentioned that a Cuban wrestler has lost in the finals 10 straight times. The chances of flipping a quarter heads 10 times in a row is approx 1 in 1000. couple that with lack of funding for the program and you're not left with a lot of plausible explanations. 

in his latest WC preview post at Bloody Elbow, Mike Riordan mentioned that a Cuban wrestler has lost in the finals 10 straight times. The chances of flipping a quarter heads 10 times in a row is approx 1 in 1000. couple that with lack of funding for the program and you're not left with a lot of plausible explanations.

While their maybe some issues at play, one flaw in the coin argument is the fact that a wrestling match isn't a pure 50/50 chance every time you step on the mat. So using the 1 in 1000 example won't fit this situation.

Combination of factors IMO. There are some matches that are pretty much confirmed dives (Romero was suspended after that atrocious match vs Mindo). Done guys have had terrible luck (Romero again with questionable reffing vs Saitiev). All of these losses (real and deliberate) them add a lot of pressure to the upcoming Cubans who are t handling it very well and do things like get thrown with a lead (Garzon) or give up tds at the buzzer (L. Lopez).

While their maybe some issues at play, one flaw in the coin argument is the fact that a wrestling match isn't a pure 50/50 chance every time you step on the mat. So using the 1 in 1000 example won't fit this situation.

of course, the coin flip was just an illustration. but how many of those matches were the cubans favored and how many times were they the underdogs? unless the cuban wrestlers were heavy underdogs every match its going to be very tough to explain those odds. 

I think after a year off and under new rules Lopez could be vulnerable. Also in the 130kg preview they say that the Iranian took last year off but he earned a silver at worlds and had it taken away after failing his doping test iirc.