Some guys have been talking for a while about alternatives to the singlet as a wrestling uniform. The most popular choice seems to be compression shorts with no shirt. Now, we are starting a petition to get this approved as an official uniform option. What do you think about alternative uniform options? Would you wear something like that if you had the choice? What do you wear in training? How do you think it would affect the perception and popularity of the sport?

This would NOT help out with growing the sport, especially at the high school level. Already think of the homosexual innuendo associated with wrestling.. now put guys in pretty much just boxer briefs rolling around. Also, think about the kids who don't want to show off their upper body due to body image issues. No way.

So true. You can't replace one skin-tight outfit with another thinking it will help. Basically, unless you're Richard Simmons, if your junk's bulging out of your shorts, they're too tight. I know sports like track & field have such outfits, but they're OPTIONAL. Most guys, especially high schoolers, don't wear them; they wear regular running shorts. Likewise, in wrestling, skin-tight outfits should be optional as well.

I was watching gymnastics on TV the other day and noticed that the men's outfits are basically singlets (they call them unitards), with shorts and/or pants worn over the top. Here's the gymnastics rule:

Male – may wear a gymnastics unitard... with either a pair of athletic shorts or long athletic type pants that are not too baggy or loose...

* NOTE: In order for the judges to observe proper leg and hip position, if athletic shorts are worn, they must be cut above the knees and not baggy. Very loose fitting “Basketball” or similarly styled shorts are not acceptable and will result in an apparel deduction.

For wrestling, I'd like to see a similar rule, perhaps allowing fight shorts (and/or athletic shorts) and perhaps even a short sleeve singlet/unitard (to give the appearance of a rash guard).

Edited by wnywrestling

The singlet does the job better than anything else, definitely no need to change it.

The singlet does the job better than anything else, when it comes to actually wrestling.

The singlet does the job worse than anything else, when it comes to attracting new wrestlers and fans.

If shorts were an option and I was wrestling a legger, I would DEFINITELY be wearing the shorts, especially if he is a "long leg" kind of legger.  Makes it much harder to get the leg in - shoes get caught up on/in the shorts trying to get the leg in, especially if you wear a little bigger shorts and let them hang a little low.

never cared much for the unitard. taking a leak made you feel like a child getting out of his overalls. and it looks absolutely ridiculous to the non initiated, which includes potential athletes that may be interested in trying out a sport. 

i vote two piece. especially before high school. before high school you shouldnt bother keeping score half the time. let the kids wrestle in something cooler than the unitard and worry later about whether it gives you an advantage against another 12 year old trying to throw in a leg ride. 

just my 2 cents. 

Some food for thought on the subject of uniforms:  Here are two stories I wrote for InterMat years ago:

1. An article about changes in uniforms over the years: http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/2967/Rev-Rewind-Major-Changes-in-Intercollegiate-Wrestling

2. An article about how old-school (pre-singlet) uniforms affected a wrestler's strategy: http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3996

Just to be clear: Singlets are a fairly new phenomenon in wrestling -- they are NOT an ancient, long-standing tradition. Trunks or tights, shirts optional, was THE standard uniform in HS and college wrestling up to the mid 1960s, when the NCAA required shirts. Singlets were actually outlawed by the NCAA until the late 1960s, when they started making their appearance in college.

InterMat Rewind: Old School Strategy

Wrestlers wear one-piece singlets and headgear, and wrestle on foam mats.

Even folks who don't know a takedown from a touchdown recognize these basic elements of amateur wrestling. That's all most of us have ever known. These elements have been "standard equipment" for U.S. high school and college wrestling for the past 40 years or more.

Things weren't always so. Singlets first made their appearance in U.S. high schools and colleges about 1970. Headgear was strictly optional -- and a rare sight -- until the late 1960s. Today's foam mats were introduced in the late 1950s.

What was it like for wrestlers who competed before these changes? What kind of impact did old-school mats and gear have on the way they wrestled? And what about those who wrestled in the late 1950s into the 60s, who experienced first-hand the revolutionary changes to the mats, and in what wrestlers wore out onto those mats?

Before we suit up …

Even as someone who writes about wrestling as it once was -- and has interviewed more than a few wrestlers of the past -- I really hadn't thought that wrestling gear and mats would have much of an impact on the way wrestlers wrestle. (Putting aside all the advertising messages that claim wrestlers will be invincible if they wear the latest headgear, singlets, or shoes.)

jackmarchello1.jpgJack Marchello

That all changed during a phone interview with Jack Marchello, two-time Big Ten champ for the University of Michigan in 1956 and 1958...

To keep reading... http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/3996

Edited by ideamark

I actually have found that a lot of guys are more comfortable shirtless than in a singlet. Whether they find it somehow more “manly”, less “gay”, or relate it to something popular like UFC, I’m not entirely sure what are the biggest reasons. But I do find that a lot of guys take issue with the cut of the singlet specifically for some reason. The survey results I saw confirmed this. A lot of wrestlers said they would have been less hesitant to get involved and a lot of non-wrestlers said they would be more likely to get involved if they had these additional uniform options.

I did find one area of discrepancy between my personal experience and the survey results. I have found quite a few guys are concerned about the skin tight nature of the uniform, being more comfortable going shirtless with loose fit shorts than with a singlet. But the survey suggested loose fit shorts were the least favor uniform option and the one that the most respondents wanted to ban. Maybe the survey respondents where picturing excessively baggy gym shorts, rather than loose fitting fight shorts, like Sprawl, worn by UFC fighters and submission grapplers.

But I think it would be best to open up the options. Guys who are shy and want to be covered more could wear loose fitting fight shorts (properly fitted and secured with drawstring) with a rash guard, guys who are more comfortable with it can wear compression shorts or something of that nature, and other guys could choose other combinations or a singlet. I think the largest portion of guys would choose the shirtless options, but having the options would make the sport more welcoming to a variety of potential athletes. I think spectators tend to prefer the more revealing uniforms, in part because it makes it easier to see the action and highlights the tension in the muscles so that you experience the struggle more vividly. I think it is not just a flashy stunt, but actually highlights the athleticism.

They do allow the two piece shorts and rash guard uniform (which is cool because some guys are more comfortable with that) but the rash guard is not optional, there is no shirtless option allowed as suggested in the petition.

BTW, regarding your petition, the NCAA (and thus NAIA & NJCAA) already allows such a uniform. See Rule 1.12.1.2:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4317-2013-14-and-2014-15-wrestling-rules.aspx

This would NOT help out with growing the sport, especially at the high school level. Already think of the homosexual innuendo associated with wrestling.. now put guys in pretty much just boxer briefs rolling around. Also, think about the kids who don't want to show off their upper body due to body image issues. No way.

I actually don’t think it would be that big of an issue, I see guys all the time working out, running, and wrestling shirtless or even in compression shorts. It doesn’t seem to be that big of a deal. Since it’s an option, not required, guys who have issues could always still wear a singlet or wear a rash guard with their shorts. Personally, I think more guys have issues with their lower bodies and would rather wear loose fitting shorts with no top. By loose fitting I don’t mean baggy gym shorts, but fight shorts that are still fitted but not skin tight, like Sprawl. These don’t come down, and they don’t significantly get in the way. MMA and submission wrestlers have shown these can work well, and I think that option would make the sport more appealing to a lot of guys. That said, a lot of guys have no issues with compression shorts and prefer them over a singlet.

With the fight shorts, I just feel like they will be grabbed a lot. Not sure how it would work.

If shorts were an option and I was wrestling a legger, I would DEFINITELY be wearing the shorts, especially if he is a "long leg" kind of legger.  Makes it much harder to get the leg in - shoes get caught up on/in the shorts trying to get the leg in, especially if you wear a little bigger shorts and let them hang a little low.

Compression shorts definitely don’t get in the way and because they stick so tightly to you, they are hard to grab and don’t really have problems slipping down or anything. There are also tight fight shorts with a drawstring that would be even more satisfactory for wrestling. I don’t think anyone would support big or baggy shorts, I support an option for loose fit shorts, but only something like Sprawl that is meant for wrestling. They are still tight, just not skin tight.

Id love to see the youth/middle school level go to longer fit rash guard top with a close fitting shorts bottom option. I believe it would help some in getting more kids (and their parents) to give wrestling a try at the younger levels. Speaking from years of MS experience its hard getting many kids to give it a try when at least some of the issue goes back to self-conscious issues with the singlet or touching others wearing the uniform. If we can break that mental barrier at that age I think more kids will give it a try. I can see where more discrepancy in uniform need to be made at the older level but by then at least the kids would have more interest in sticking with the sport.

Edited by MadMardigain

They do allow the two piece shorts and rash guard uniform (which is cool because some guys are more comfortable with that) but the rash guard is not optional, there is no shirtless option allowed as suggested in the petition.

Shirtless??? Do you really think it would help the sport grow at all if we switched to tight trunks and no shirt? (I don't. Makes me think of Hulk Hogan, except 99.999% of people aren't built like him.)

Would more kids want to give the sport a try? No. (I think less.)

Would the general public's perception of the sport be improved no? No. (They'd confuse us even more with pro wrestling.)

Would more contagious diseases and skin infections get passed around? Probably. (Yes, this is a concern.)

I for one would rather avoid other dudes' sweaty, slippery skin as much as possible. The more coverage, the better.

Edited by wnywrestling

Shirtless??? Do you really think it would help the sport grow at all if we switched to tight trunks and no shirt? (I don't. Makes me think of Hulk Hogan, except 99.999% of people aren't built like him.)

Would more kids want to give the sport a try? No. (I think less.)

According to survey results, yes.

Would the general public's perception of the sport be improved no? No. (They'd confuse us even more with pro wrestling.)

Alternatively, they might associate it with MMA, which is highly popular.

Would more contagious diseases and skin infections get passed around? Probably. (Yes, this is a concern.)

Yes, skin infections are a concern. But no, I don’t think it would make much difference unless we are actually proposing full body suits and I think that would be immensely unpopular. 

I for one would rather avoid other dudes' sweaty, slippery skin as much as possible. The more coverage, the better.

Since they are proposing options, you could potentially still minimize skin to skin contact by wearing a long sleeved rash guard and full-length tights, even if the other guy chooses to go shirtless.

people have been successfully wearing ties to work for hundreds of years. not a good reason to keep doing it imo. DOWN WITH NECKTIES!

Good one!!  Fortunately I have managed to avoid ties at work for the most part.  

I'm all for OPTIONS... but only if they are really an option and not them saying "this is what you will wear instead of what you prefer/ have been using succesfully for 60 years".

Personally, I’m all for options, including the singlet for guys who want to wear it, and that is all the petition is asking for as well. Something like submission grapplers usually have, that the athletes can choose what they want to wear, within prescribed guidelines. One guy could opt for compression shorts and a rash guard because he doesn't care for the cut of the singlet and wants to cover his upper body, another could wear looser fitting grappling shorts with no shirt because he really just doesn't like an outfit that is too tight in the crotch and doesn't care about covering his upper body, others could wear loose shorts with a rash guard or compression shorts with no shirt or a singlet. If we had to choose one uniform for everyone, I would favor compression shorts (which was apparently the most popular option on the survey as well), but I don't see any reason to choose. Why not leave that choice to the individual?

people have been successfully wearing ties to work for hundreds of years. not a good reason to keep doing it imo. DOWN WITH NECKTIES!

I’m definitely in favor of doing away with neckties, they have always seemed like a most useless article of clothing!