Sign in to follow this  
armspin

world's results and video

Tough loss for Ruth. Got in deep several times, had trouble finishing, gave up 3 push outs, loses 7-4. Hopefully the Iranian can win 3 more and pull Ruth back in. Tough task with Salas waiting in the quarters.

The Mongolian that beat Ramos just won over India, keeping Ramos alive for the moment. Marable and Dlagnev coming up soon on C

Tough first session for team USA. All of our guys looked competitive, but in the end only 1 of our first 4 are wrestling for a medal, and that's Dlagnev going for bronze yet again. I was able to see every US match and a good deal of other matches. The feed had a few issues from time to time, but overall not bad. Excited to be able to watch ESPN3 on the tv for the next session instead of looking at a laptop and tablet!

57: I saw Lebedev's very first match and immediately thought I made a mistake picking him to beat Rahimi in the quarters. He did not look impressive in his first two matches at all and then got handled pretty convincingly by Rahimi. Certainly didn't expect Rahimi to follow that big win up with a loss, but Yang of North Korea is tough, guess you can't ever count out a past world champ, even if it was 5 years ago! Rahimi losing eliminated Lebedev, I'm sure Russia was not expecting to come home without a medal at this weight. Khingshevili made the finals from the other half and will try to give Georgia their first gold since Beijing. The Mongolian that Ramos lost to in the first round almost pulled him back in, making it all the way to the semis and having an early lead in that match. Unfortunately he couldn't hold it.

70: I said I thought Marable had a burrutslly tough draw, and I stand by that. He roughed out two good wins against two very good opponents, but against Shabanu he gave up an early takedown and gut wrench and never recovered. He really doesn't have the offense to come from behind. I saw Shabanu's match before he wrestled Marable and thought he looked really good, plus the Russian barely held on to beat a Canadian in the quarters, so I figured Marable was a safe bet to get pulled back in. Once again, I figured wrong. The Russian locked up an early leg lace and got turn after turn to end the match in under a minute and eliminate Marable. The other half of the bracket had one of the bigger upsets of the day when former Clarion All-American Abdumakanov knocked off the top ranked and heavily favored Houssekhatani from Iran, I believe in the 2nd round. When he failed to make the finals Iran was eliminated. Turkey's Gor will face the Russian Tsabolov in the finals.

86: Unfortunatly I didn't get to see any of Sadualev's matches, a couple times because I was watching other matches and a couple times the feed went out. I did see the scores however, and they were impressive! Lot of points in little time, I can't wait to watch the archived matches. Guess that answers the critics who say he's not that spectacular! He stormed his way to the finals. He'll face Salas from Cuba, one of the rare times we see the top two favorites both make the finals. Ruth was right there with the Iranian in the second round, couldn't finish a few shots, took too long to finish one that he did and gave up 3 push out points. Mohammadian is no slouch, and he never pulled Ruth back in but lost a close match to Salas. Past world champ Ganev had an exciting early match with Murtzaliev of Armenia, scoring a last second takedown to win in one of the first matches I saw.

125: I successfully picked the wrong wrestler in a couple of early round matchups of top contenders. Ghasemi and Shermanov proved I had no clue what I was talking about when I picked them both to lose to Ukraine and Georgia. Ghasemi took it a step further by knocking off the champ Gatsalov in the semis. Dlagnev battled top ranked Akgul from Turkey in the quarters, in a rematch of last years bronze bout. Dlagnev did a great job early when Akgul got to his leg and he kept his balance and only gave up a push out instead of a takedown. I thought that might come in to help later, but Unfortunatly Dlagnev got in deep a few times and couldn't finish. Controversial ending tho, I thought Dlagnev should have been given the takedown sooner, then got the exposure points for a last second win, but the refs disagreed. For the 4th straight year and 5th time in the last 6, Dlagnev will wrestle for bronze. He is going against 2011 world champ Shermanov in a rubber match between the two with Shermanov winning in the 2011 semis and Dlagnev winning in the 2012 quarters.

Team wise Iran had two huge head to head wins over Russia with Rahimi beating Lebedev and Ghasemi beating Gatsalov. Unfortunatly for them their top ranked and favored 70kg couldn't deliver, failing to place and Rahimi dropped his semi final. Despite 2x champ Lebedev not placing, Russia still has 2 in the finals with 1 going for bronze. Iran has 1 in the finals and 2 going for bronze. Turkey placed 2 in the finals and 1 going for bronze. Belarus has 3 going for bronze.

Edited by MA_Wrestler

Rahimi gets bronze after Takashai from Japan, exciting match, 7-4 final. The Japanese wrestler impressed me earlier too, I think he could be tough down the road. The other bronze match not nearly as exciting, Belarus wins over the Mongolian that beat Ramos on criteria, both got a shot clock point, Belarus just got his last. Hope the final is more exciting than that one!

A question. What time (EDT) did the wrestling start. I read that it started at 10 EDT on ESPN3. But that was just the finals! Ughhh.

Midnight. All the rounds up to the finals plus the repechage matches. At 10 is all the medal matches. Tomorrow medal matches start at 9. ESPN3 only has the medal matches the early rounds you'll need to watch the live feed from the FILA site

ESPN3 works now, for anyone who is interested.

Wish I could get ESPN3 but as a DirecTV subscriber I am one of the few out there that can't log-in to ESPN3 because my provider isn't listed.

Makes me wish they had kept the streaming through LiveStream as it had been set-up for the rest of the tournament.  Tough to see all of the early matches and not be able to see the culmination.

Wish I could get ESPN3 but as a DirecTV subscriber I am one of the few out there that can't log-in to ESPN3 because my provider isn't listed.

Makes me wish they had kept the streaming through LiveStream as it had been set-up for the rest of the tournament.  Tough to see all of the early matches and not be able to see the culmination.

Just as soon as I say that the Youtube link starts working... I will take it!

Wow, great final! Khingshvilli was in control, up 3-0, was in deep twice, had a leg up in the air but Yang used some great defense to avoid the takedown twice. Gets a slick takedown of his own, then a late chest wrap and exposure for the win. Tough loss for the Georgian but great performance and great tournament for now 2x world champ Yang.

Abdumakanov looks great winning bronze for the home team Uzbekistan.

I've actually heard this announcer before (the Scot I mean). Some random sports channel showed a replay of the Golden Grand Prix finals at like 3 in the morning that I DVR'd and this guy did the commentary.

I think the French guy might be Daniel Robin, who completed the outrageous feat of capturing a Silver Medal in both Freestyle and Greco in the same Olympics.  

Thanks, MA!

The ESPN announcing team is pretty amusing. They have a Scot who sounds like he has never seen wrestling before. And then there is a guy with an obscure Inspector Clouseau-like accent who is a total know-it-all.