Sign in to follow this  
armspin

world's results and video

Many thought Ruth would medal this year, we should never take anything for granted.  The World Championships are difficult to medal at and we are spoiled by what Burroughs has accomplished the last three years. No way the U.S. finishes in the top 3 this year. Hopefully Burroughs has his usual finish and Metcalf can earn his first World medal (but I'm not holding my breath). 

Sadulaev is beyond impressive, especially for his age.

I think we still have a shot at 3rd, but definitely not higher. All 4 of our guys tomorrow are real medal contenders. Turkey and Belarus had great days today but I don't expect 3 medals from them again tomorrow. Azerbijian has some good guys going tomorrow too, but I think we still have a great shot at 3rd

Akgul gets the gold. At least I picked 2 of the 4 champs correctly!

Russia with 2 gold and a bronze.Turkey with a gold, silver and bronze. Iran gets silver and 2 bronze, Belarus 2 bronze and a 5th. Without seeing anything official I would assume that is the order of the top 4 teams after day 1.

Maybe Hubbard or akzent can tell us what the speculation is as to how old he actually is.  He's been competing at the senior level since the end of 2012.

According to the Russians he was 18 at the Russian Nationals a few months ago.

Brackets are out for tomorrow...

First thing I noticed was potential for a Burroughs vs Tsargush (RUS) semi-final.  I would imagine he sees Kurbanov (UZB) in the quarters.

Metcalf has Mohammadi (IRI) on his side but wouldn't be until the semi's.  Likely quarter with Muslimov (AZE) I would think.  He starts with KOR and would then get the winner of Kaya (TUR) (who I think is the Turk Pico wrestled) and Kim (PRK).

Edited by wrestleSBA

Looking at Varner's weight... Gadisov (RUS) and Yazdani (IRI) are in the top half but wouldn't meet until semi's.  Varner in what I would think it is a relatively clear quarter on the bottom half... decent separation as he wouldn't meet Gazyumov (AZE) until the semi's.  I think many have stated they thought Gazyumov was his most favorable match-up out of the big three but I could be wrong.

Kennedy is in the larger bottom half of his bracket... start off with Kaliyeu (BLR) and would likely see Aliyev (AZE) in round of 16.  Seems like a tough draw there.  If he survives there his quarter doesn't look as bad.  Of course then you have Bogomoev (RUS) in the semi's.  Honestly though when you look at the top half it is easy to see just how freaking loaded this weight is.

Edited by wrestleSBA

All things considered, I think Varner and Metcalf have great draws. Of course you're going to have to beat some studs if you want a World title, but I think it's certainly doable for both. As for Burroughs, we know he is the tough draw in the bracket, but he has a pretty tough path. I have no doubts he'll get it done. Kennedy is going to have to show up right away, but this weight is pretty wide open (albeit very good), so I could see him getting past Aliyev and medaling.

Metcalf finally gets a good draw!!!! And he is wrestling his best. And Varner is blessed(haha) and is a big tourny wrestler. If he can get Yazdani in the finals anything is possible! I am predicting Metcalf and Varner Silvers and Gold for Burroughs easily! Kennendy for Bronze. I like our chances tomorrow to pull back into top 3.