It looked to me like Jake had no idea how to clear and control the "bulldog" tie up he kept finding himself in.  I was a little surprised he didn't get flying lessons from standing upright while completely controlled in that tie up situation.  I never thought I'd say this, but God Bless Russia for preserving the interesting aspects of our sport!  Although I must admit it's confusing to see them  keep executing beautiful technical takedowns to both sides of the body and good high low offense.  I just know that can't be done in this "new era" of wrestling.  I've seen them hitting the dreaded..."can't be done against guys at this level", techniques so long I might start believing you can do a carry at the elite level.    Phish, that would just be silly.

I know 97k is insane. But after watching all our guys Varner is by far the most upsetting. That match vs UKR he simply did not wrestle. I have never seen an elite guy get hit 4 times in a row by the same high school type move. It almost looked like Varner gave up or threw the match. He only lost 5-3 to a very good guy but man something just didnt seem right. Where were the leg shots???? Cael is a great coach? He should have been screaming what the he.. are you doing!! That was just plain ugly. That looked like the sophmore in college Varner. I still think Varner is right there and he has a Gold and Bronze medal to prove it but my gosh some adjustments have got to be made.

Edited by PRyan2012

This.... more than anything else I continue to learn about wrestling... this!

Hard to believe how varied and well executed the techniques the Russians use are.  We would say all the time that you can't hit a fireman's or carry at the upper levels.  I think we say this because we never see it at the NCAA's... I am beginning to think that this is just a self-creating prophecy.  We don't spend time teching / practicing the techniques because we don't think they will work... and what do you know, they don't!

I have just watched yet another Russian execute a carry for 4 points in the finals at 65 kilo's.  Gosh they are so entertaining to watch and they beat folks with things we would traditionally say they shouldn't be able to do against wrestlers at that level.

No risk, no reward.  Great positioning, and mat strategy may be at the top of the list, but creating angles, clever set-ups and finishes, and varied attacks surely are in the arsenal of MOST great wrestlers in this ERA.  It's quite the conundrum.

I am not sure what happened, Jake had the lead and just allowed the Ukrainian to just push him around and steal the match. It seemed like Jake, Jimmy Kennedy, and Brent Metcalf all came out, scored some points and then just got overtaken. So were we not prepared? Did we not warm up correctly, I am at a loss. As far as Jake is concerned, I believe he just does not have the extreme motivation one needs to be a World Champ anymore. I am very sad that we got clobbered last night. I wish Jake all the best with whatever decesion he decides to make about his International wrestling career.

Have to agree with the consensus on here about Varner seeming to lack the fire. I hope he still has it for '15 and '16, because I don't think we have anyone is the US behind him who would even be a remote threat at the senior level. Snyder is the next big thing at this weight, but he is still a few years away. J'Den Cox could be as well, but like Snyder, probably not ready until after 2016.