SetonHallPirate

Reminder: Team Component Proposal vote is TOMORROW!

I like it!

Did they change the points awarded? or did the champion always get 35? I thought they got more prior and there was a 10 point spread between 1st and 2nd, instead of the now 5 points.

One question, the regional host is to absorb the cost of the event. Does that mean the regional host pays the travel, per diam and lodging for all the visiting teams as well? Or just the hosting expenses? 

Nice find!

Review of 2014 Championship.

"The [NCAA Women's Bowling] committee also was pleased with the broadcast ratings, noting that they were at the same

level as Division I wrestling."

Not knowing much about collegiate bowling... I did some digging and based on a youtube video on the 2014 ncaa womens championship, it looks like the television ratings were from a dual meet format.

Edited by Pinnum

For those too lazy:

"(1) Recommendation. That a team component be added to the championships. Teams 

of sponsoring institutions shall compete in a minimum of six Division I 
intercollegiate dual meets to be eligible for the team component. The NCAA 
champion will be determined by a combination of team points earned through the 
team component, as well as points earned by individuals during the individual 
component. Twenty-four teams will qualify for the team component. Based on 
current bylaws, seven conferences would receive automatic qualifiers (AQ) for their 
top teams. The remaining 17 teams would then be selected by the Wrestling 
Committee, using similar selection criteria currently used for individuals, which will 
be calculated for team competition. Four regionals will be held on the campuses of 
the top four seeded teams. Each regional will include six teams. The 24 teams 
selected to compete in the team component will earn a minimum of five points. (See 
Attachment) The results of the team component will be tabulated and combined 
with the individual component results to crown the champion and determine the 
order of overall finish for institutions. 

(2) Effective Date. 2016 Championships."

A points system, really? Things should be earned in wrestling. This is so stupid. What a joke. If this passes, it will only hurt the popularity. Try explaining that new point system to the casual. 
Edited by CoachWrestling

Wouldn't you rather just have a national duals than a point system?

you mean hand out the NCAA trophy to the winner of a national duals tourney? i could be down for that. i could be down for a lot of changes. but i also kind of like the proposed point system. its complicated but so is american football, and life is nothing but compromise. it makes the college teams care about dual meets. and you keep the individual tournament. those are priorities 1 and 1A. the rest is details, of which i don't sweat. 

you mean hand out the NCAA trophy to the winner of a national duals tourney? i could be down for that. i could be down for a lot of changes. but i also kind of like the proposed point system. its complicated but so is american football, and life is nothing but compromise. it makes the college teams care about dual meets. and you keep the individual tournament. those are priorities 1 and 1A. the rest is details, of which i don't sweat. 

By "hand out" you imply you don't like the idea. A national duals tournament would be much better/more fair than a point based champion IMO. Duals are the most exciting part of wrestling IMO, so I think we should use that to our advantage.

By "hand out" you imply you don't like the idea. A national duals tournament would be much better/more fair than a point based champion IMO. Duals are the most exciting part of wrestling IMO, so I think we should use that to our advantage.

no i like the idea. leaving the "fair" argument for another time, i agree 100%, it is a better way to hand out the team trophy then to the winner of individual tournament, for a number of different reasons. if there were 3 choices, only points from individual tournament, winner of a dual meet tournament, or the combo, i'd be happy with either of the latter two. no strong preference either way. 

whats the mean exactly? 

Normally, it would mean that it would be brought up again at the next scheduled Cabinet meeting, with more information from the NCAA Wrestling Committee, or alternately, pulled from the agenda. In this case, however, the Cabinet is being dissolved altogether, with this being its last meeting, and therefore, the replacement body, the Division I Council, would take it up. That being said, the Division I Council has yet to be constituted, and it remains to be seen when they would take up any proposals.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

Normally, it would mean that it would be brought up again at the next scheduled Cabinet meeting, with more information from the NCAA Wrestling Committee, or alternately, pulled from the agenda. In this case, however, the Cabinet is being dissolved altogether, with this being its last meeting, and therefore, the replacement body, the Division I Council, would take it up. That being said, the Division I Council has yet to be constituted, and it remains to be seen when they would take up any proposals.

interesting. thanks for the scoop!

But wasn't this supposed to be voted on at this time? I could swear it was. You posted it was. Sounds to me like they don't have the votes to pass it. 

That's not the feeling I get. I am curious how many other big changes were on the docket and how many were tabled. My guess would be that due to the major shifts in college athletics they don't want to make any changes without knowing what impacts will come from things like paying athletes and the autonomy of the Big 5.

Moving this to the Division I Council seems like the appropriate course of action since they are the body that will be handling things in the years to come.