SetonHallPirate

Reminder: Team Component Proposal vote is TOMORROW!

"The cabinet continued its discussion on adding a team component to the wrestling championship but did not take action. The cabinet expressed concern about an apparent lack of consensus nationally and a possible disconnect in communication between institutional coaches and administrators. The cabinet agreed to include the concept in its transition document for future discussions."

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/September%20Cabinet%20Report%20-%20Final.pdf (pages 8-9)

At this point, I'm in favor of a National Duals system determining the NCAA team champs. Casual fans do not want to attend 3 day long marathon events, but you can convince casual fans to watch a dual. Plus, a tightly contested dual is way more exciting than the stall-a-thon that most NCAA finals are.

Casual fans do not want to attend 3 day long marathon events, but you can convince casual fans to watch a dual.

This may be true but is definitely irrelevant. The NCAA tournament sells out large arenas every year. It is a noble goal to attract casual fans to the sport, but the last problem Division I wrestling has is attracting enough attendees to its championship.

This may be true but is definitely irrelevant. The NCAA tournament sells out large arenas every year. It is a noble goal to attract casual fans to the sport, but the last problem Division I wrestling has is attracting enough attendees to its championship.

How about we try to grow the sport instead of settling for 15k fans once a year.

IMO there is nothing to lose.  The Individual tournament will continue to sell out because people go to that tournament to see the best two guys at each weight class compete for a national title.  Having two great events instead of one is a win - win.  We have nothing to lose by trying something new.  If we stay the same, we maintain the status quo.

I like the national tournament right now.  If we adopted the national duals as the method of crowning a team champ, or if it was part of the equation to crown a team champ, I will still like the national tournament.  It remains high on my events-to-go-to no matter what is decided.

The status quo is not great right now.  Roll the dice.

Advancing points to the NCAA tournament was a dumb idea and should never have had near the traction that it did.  Find another way to make duals relevant.  Hold a 32 team dual meet tournament, forget the regionals and qualifiers and then hold an NCAA Div I Open with no team scoring.  That would make more sense that the previous proposal that should have died in the water over a year ago.

oldrules, flatly, no. I hate that idea. Anything that takes the team scoring away from the individual tournament is, put simply, a bad idea. Further, having 32 teams almost defeats the purpose of actually qualifying for the tournament. That's 42% of Division I, a ratio that is unheard of for Division I team championships.

I meant it in jest.  The combined score proposal sucked completely and should never have seen the light of day.  I propose we leave it the fark alone and ditch the regional format for the Duals and bring back the old National Duals.  The individual tournament is the correct format for individual and team championships.  Dual meets already matter just not in the way an insignificant minority want them them.  It wasn't broken so why fix it?

Not everyone thinks you need to mess with the reason all those people sell out that arena every year to grow the sport.

Even if the NCAA takes the team score component completely out of the individual championship, the dire hard fans who go now will continue to go. Giving dual meets meaning will only draw people into the sport, not alienate the die-hards.

This has been done at the HS level very successfully IMO.  In Wisconsin for example, this argument raged for many years.  They finally went to a team tournament many years ago to crown the team state champ and they have an individual tournament.  Both have grown and a team wins on the entire team instead of being able to win with 3 or 4 good kids? 

Probably a majority apposed it, (guess on my part), but now most would vote to keep it split.

In my mind it is a better way of doing things, to split them.  (no remarks on my mind please!)   I like the idea of a coach having to focus on his weakest athletes as well and for many teams that would even mean working at recruiting kids that are not top ten coming in.  That said, the hard part is timing.  If you do it after the individual you run the risk of guys not making weight and not being at their top.  If you do it before, injuries may happen and the whole idea of seeing your competition before the individual can make a difference in the outcome. I think I read some where that the Russian team stays away from that?  In High school the idea of winning a team state tournament should still inspire kids but???

Even if the NCAA takes the team score component completely out of the individual championship, the dire hard fans who go now will continue to go. Giving dual meets meaning will only draw people into the sport, not alienate the die-hards.

I am in complete agreement.  Like other posters on this site, I love the NCAA tournament.   Let the NCAA crown the team champ at the duals.  Let the NWCA crown the tournament champ.  Then you get two great events instead of one.  It is a win-win.  I am a die hard.  I will still love the tournament!  And it will be really interesting watching the coaches go after the team championship.