Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Maryland and Rutgers are in talks with the Big Ten

Sounds like Maryland votes this morning and it was unanimous to go to the Big Ten.

They value their basketball program cause I'm not sure it helps them in to many other areas right away. Big 10 still has to accept them anyway.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ter ... ports-say/

When it comes to the vote. Then unofficially they have been accepted. This is pretty much a done deal.

My guess is that UCONN will now move to the ACC. That would help solidify the New York metro area as an ACC hot bed (Syracuse basketball owns the NYC college market and their football program has been investing a lot of money there to become relevant).

Louisville will be putting a push to join the ACC but I think UCONN has the advantage.

As far as programs looking to move to the Big East to fill the void, I am not sure who is left of note. Conference USA has already been poached and the A10 programs would fit well except they don't have football. It all looks like the Big East will, again be the loser here.

As far as the impact to wrestling, I think it will hurt our sport. Pitt will fill the void left by Maryland in the ACC but just nullifies the addition of Pitt in making the conference larger and stronger that we were so excited about. Rutgers is a big loss for the EIWA, though they were not a very good fit when you look at the other league foes being private/ivy/patriot schools.

The Big Ten is a big winner here in wrestling and it will hurt the sport outside of the conference. We could now see 10-14 qualifiers per weight class from the Big Tens. We will now see less top-20 teams from outside of the Big Ten and more of them from the Big Ten. Now, more than ever, will it be the Big Ten vs the rest. This is not good for the sport at all.

I don't think this really matters long term regarding college wrestling. The fact is, NCAA Div. 1 wrestling is almost irrelevant. If the current trend continues, wrestling will not be a sanctioned NCAA sport by 2022. The only hope that I see is interest being generated in a serious dual meet national championship. We will see what happens.

The only hope that I see is interest being generated in a serious dual meet national championship. We will see what happens.

A lot of people agree with you. But having the majority of the powers in the Big 10 conference doesn't help matters any. Dual divisions in the Big 10 may help if it makes the conference two quasi-conferences that go to the same national qualifier.

I don't think this really matters long term regarding college wrestling. The fact is, NCAA Div. 1 wrestling is almost irrelevant. If the current trend continues, wrestling will not be a sanctioned NCAA sport by 2022. The only hope that I see is interest being generated in a serious dual meet national championship. We will see what happens.

You gotta love wrestlers. On the one hand, they are sure their sport is dying, whether its because of Title IX or lack of interest or something else. On the other hand, they refuse to embrace the only real, viable lifeline: MMA. Adapt or die out is how life works.

TheEducation, your post got me thinking. Where would MMA be were it not for wrestling? It would probably be in the hands of jiu jitsu guys from Brazil. Because MMA had bad azz wrestlers like Matt Hughes, Couture and all of the other stud wrestlers, Americans were able to gain an upper hand which undoubtedly helped the UFC's popularity.

I agree that MMA could be a boon for wrestling. Just have to make sure the wrestlers keep crediting the sport for helping them get where they are.

As for me as a Rutgers fan I'm quite happy with the move. I'll now get to see big time programs coming to Rutgers to wrestle on a consistent basis rather than as a novelty once a season.

It will be harder for Rutgers to succeed but will definitely be a selling point for big time national recruits. I'm pumped.

You gotta love wrestlers. On the one hand, they are sure their sport is dying, whether its because of Title IX or lack of interest or something else. On the other hand, they refuse to embrace the only real, viable lifeline: MMA. Adapt or die out is how life works.

What does this mean? What would you like wrestlers to do?

Wrestling was not even discussed. this is all about hoops and football money. In fact both RU and UMD would send decidedly less to NCAAs when in B10. I see Gentry, Langel, Melde Mason,Asper, Boley, Sheptock, Winston, Zanetti and Rinaldi with Gentry, Langel Zanetti, Rinaldi Sheptock and Melde on the bubble. Due to the strength of competition wrecking their records they would only be able to get an coaches bid. Drop them into B10 projection and see for yourselves.

Here's 125: McD ,Mega, Delgado, Thorn Boyle,Triggas, Mele, Langel, Gentry and Eppert is a spoiler

I'm not dissing any of these wrestlers just pointing out that B10 conferences are similar to rnd of 12 at NCAA. For most college wrestlers going to the show is the game, a few want to win just 1 or 2 matches. By March most know what the top 12 will look like. Although "hope springs eternal"

No individual wrestler would need to do anything.

But, programs as a whole could foster ties with MMA gyms. Of course, any crossover from wrestling to MMA would have to be each individual wrestlers' personal choice, and it would have to do be done during the offseason.

One idea would be as simple as allowing guys to coach wrestling at MMA gyms during the offseason, and to train in other disciplines as well. Once an informal network is set up, these connections could even attract some recruits. There's no reason that NCAA wrestlers shouldn't be the first place people look for the next mixed martial artists. And that sort of attention will help keep wrestling alive.

Basically, anything besides a complete rejection of MMA would be an improvement.

Re: MMA, does Frankie Edgar ring a bell?

Re: Rutgers - this is an opportunity. That Knights may get nosed out of bids doesn't apply unless RU fails to take advantage. The move doesn't happen for 2 years. RU has to get better recruits by emphasizing the B1G competition as well as a good education, alumni strength, better location i.e. ability to go home, better weather, families able to watch you compete, etc.

This move should improve the interest of both top notch student athletes and also propspective coaches. It can be a major win or a minor bust. For RU to be in the middle of the pack, similar to Northwestern or Indiana woudln't be a terrible thing IMHO.

A question for those out on the east coast. With these two teams heading to the Big 10, how much will it impact recruiting out there? Particularly in New Jersey, is this going to impact wrestlers staying home in NJ now that there is a DI program with ties to a elite conference in their back yard?

Just curious out here in Chicago.

A question for those out on the east coast. With these two teams heading to the Big 10, how much will it impact recruiting out there? Particularly in New Jersey, is this going to impact wrestlers staying home in NJ now that there is a DI program with ties to a elite conference in their back yard?

Just curious out here in Chicago.

EVERYONE in Jersey posting here is going to tell you how awesome it is. But frankly, there are bottom dwellers in the Big 10, and it has always been that way. Sure, it will be handy for recruiting, especially up front, but you still gotta win and produce All Americans to sustain the recruitablility.

It's a huge selling tool for the RU program, no doubt about it. I'd say it also makes them a much more attractive program for any "name" coaches (head or assistant).

I agree that the competition is much tougher in the B10, but it seems like that league sends nearly the whole conference to the national tourney. Is it really harder to get in, when so many bids come from that conference?

maryland and rutgers have both cut sports teams in recent years in order to fund the football programs.

what happens if they struggle in their first few years and the coaches say they need more resources?

It's a huge selling tool for the RU program, no doubt about it. I'd say it also makes them a much more attractive program for any "name" coaches (head or assistant).

I agree that the competition is much tougher in the B10, but it seems like that league sends nearly the whole conference to the national tourney. Is it really harder to get in, when so many bids come from that conference?

I hope Ban Basketball doesn't see this.

No individual wrestler would need to do anything.

But, programs as a whole could foster ties with MMA gyms. Of course, any crossover from wrestling to MMA would have to be each individual wrestlers' personal choice, and it would have to do be done during the offseason.

One idea would be as simple as allowing guys to coach wrestling at MMA gyms during the offseason, and to train in other disciplines as well. Once an informal network is set up, these connections could even attract some recruits. There's no reason that NCAA wrestlers shouldn't be the first place people look for the next mixed martial artists. And that sort of attention will help keep wrestling alive.

Basically, anything besides a complete rejection of MMA would be an improvement.

are you saying wrestling should market it self as a jv mma or a minor league? if you dont think mma clubs are already scouting the ncaas then you are wrong.

wrestling helps mma but that doesnt mean mma helps wrestling. it isnt like wrestling is hurting with participation we have tons of kids wrestling and are always one of the top sports for participation when the high school associations report.

what we dont have is a fan following and convincing the wrestling community that a brawl is better than a controlled gentlemans combat does not help wrestling in fact the more tie in to mma there is the more people will stop following it since it wont be the pinnical of the sport and academics will start to cut it.

if i had to guess i would say you are more of a fan of mma than wrestling.

Why would you want to join a MidWestern conference when you are located in the East? It would make more sense for Penn State to join EIWA.

Where is all the money for plane tickets coming from?

Maybe the extra 18 million bucks annually (compared to the BE) might have a little bit to do with that.

Tripster, did you really just ask this? Have you not paid any attention to any Division I college sport in the last 10-12 years?

Louisiana Tech and Hawaii are in the same football conference.

Cal and Appalachian State are in the same field hockey conference.

are you saying wrestling should market it self as a jv mma or a minor league?

No. That's not possible. Wrestling and MMA are different sports. That said, NCAA football is the NFL's development league, and it works out pretty well. The same is true of NCAA basketball and the NBA.

what we dont have is a fan following and convincing the wrestling community that a brawl is better than a controlled gentlemans combat does not help wrestling in fact the more tie in to mma there is the more people will stop following it since it wont be the pinnical of the sport and academics will start to cut it.

I don't know what you are trying to say here. But let me repeat: wrestling and MMA are different sports. I am not advocating turning wrestling into submission grappling or anything like that. The one idea I put forward (and many more are possible) is to allow or encourage off-season crosstraining, and fostering informal networks. I'm not sure how that changes wrestling.