quanon

Recent Fireman's Carries

Also how he continues to run his feet.  It's funny because after I saw one of McKenna's matches at juniors where he hit a nice fireman's/dump I was going to make a post about the fact that we should hit more firemans because it's an easy 4 pointer.  

Edited by AnklePicker

nice - awesome gifs. with the exposure rules in freestyle it can be a devastating move. Sadulaev and Tsabalov i think both got 6 points in the 1st period in the finals off a feet to back, plus 2 more when they kicked their feet back over their heads will maintaining the firemans hold. 

fun move to watch too. 

Also how he continues to run his feet.  It's funny because after I saw one of McKenna's matches at juniors where he hit a nice fireman's/dump I was going to make a post about the fact that we should hit more firemans because it's an easy 4 pointer.  

The constant kneesliding and forward pressure struck me during the match. For the finish, he really drives over the left (back) knee. That's what generates his power, and I definitely did not learn this move that way.

Sadulaev's carry (initiated by a defensive whizzer)

On the second exposure for 2, we used to show that move but I always assumed it would be a 2-2 in freestyle. Also, he does the same kind of kneesliding, finishing with the back knee as well. Do coaches already show that in the US?

Very, very interesting to see that not just these two, but all of the Russians who were hitting it were driving with it. They dominated the competition with it. I always was taught to stay stationary with it, more using the pull of the arm to bring them over you than anything else. 

On the second exposure for 2, we used to show that move but I always assumed it would be a 2-2 in freestyle. 

It should not be scored as 2 and 2 if the defensive man does nothing to cause the action.

Also, he does the same kind of kneesliding, finishing with the back knee as well. Do coaches already show that in the US?

I don't think I understand what you're referring to -- Sadulaev is on his toes for the second exposure.

It should not be scored as 2 and 2 if the defensive man does nothing to cause the action.

I don't think I understand what you're referring to -- Sadulaev is on his toes for the second exposure.

I referred to what BobDole called the "walking carry." Sadulaev moves forward the entire time.

Tsabolov's carry is similar, but sloppier than the other two.

- The grip is not held in place by the head/face.

- More time on his knees instead of driving off his toes.  

- Same 45 degree angle with the ground as he drives into the carry.

Here's a video of Sajidov (current Dagestan head coach) teaching the fireman's to youth wrestlers.  They hit it in a variety of different ways.  Sajidov emphasizes at one point taking that extra step or the "walking" fireman's Bob refers to above.  Instead of hitting your knees and taking the man the way he was facing, you step up with your back leg, drive down to that knee and then continue your momentum and take him the direction you were facing.  I learned it this way from Joe Melchiore.  

I found another video where a Russian is teaching his youth wrestlers the fireman's from a Russian.  Pretty cool too because he shows all of the warm ups he puts them through.  These are the types of exercises our youths should be doing.  The one thing that jumps out to me are the amount of bridging exercises they do compared to us.  They can almost all do bridge flips from a very young age.  My HS wrestlers have a very difficult time doing those even when holding onto a partner's ankles.  Anyway here's the Sajidov vid.

Here's a video of Sajidov (current Dagestan head coach) teaching the fireman's to youth wrestlers.  They hit it in a variety of different ways.  Sajidov emphasizes at one point taking that extra step or the "walking" fireman's Bob refers to above.  Instead of hitting your knees and taking the man the way he was facing, you step up with your back leg, drive down to that knee and then continue your momentum and take him the direction you were facing.  I learned it this way from Joe Melchiore.  

The part where Sazhidov shows a walking fireman's is around 3:30.

The walking fireman's has a direct angle of attack.  If you shoot to the left, you aim for about 10 or 11 o'clock with your feet.  The angle of attack that the Russians hit in this finals was different, more of a walking barrel roll or dump, with the feet running in a circle toward the attacked arm.  Maybe that's because the opponents were sprawling and retreating effectively -- or maybe it's a different technique.

Edited by quanon

not so recent.  iranian wrestler scores 3x against the great dave schultz from his feet at :40, 1:10 and 3:27.

WOW. That was awesome. Three times in one match and twice back to back. Burroughs needs to learn this move. Ed Ruth too. Both guys have the wingspan and strength to do it.

not so recent.  iranian wrestler scores 3x against the great dave schultz from his feet at :40, 1:10 and 3:27.

His carry works well for opponent with a left leg lead like Dave had. Is there any footage of him hitting this carry on a right leg lead?

Eric Wais of Oklahoma State use to hit fireman's carry by going over the head and holding the chin like Gadisov did in that video. A brutal move!  What makes this such an awesome TD in freestyle is the 4 point aspect of it. 

It is funny how moves keep coming around again.  About 15 years ago I was at a camp and asked the clinician to demonstrate the fireman's carry.  He replied that they don't use that much anymore because it is too easy to defend.  I think the Russians would have a different answer (as would their opponents).