TBar1977

Marstellar will be at 157

I am not sure about him wrestling at 157, just my opinion. He won states at 152 his freshman year,160 his sophomore year, 160 his junior year, and 170 his senior year. I remember him getting bloody noses in a bunch of matches, I hope this not become a problem for him with cutting weight. Chance is short, but he is stocky and has tree trunks as legs. I think he would be better off at 165 and just redshirt. Hopefully he knows his body and I am wrong and he can perform 100% at 157, I just do not see him being at his best at that weight.

Look how frail JO looked at 133 his junior year, then the following year he bumps up two weight classes to 149 and pretty much dominates everyone at that weight.  I just hate the guys who suck too much weight.

I am a PSU fan, but also a PA fan, so I am rooting for Chance to shut a lot of people/haters up. So if he actually does not redshirt and stays HEALTHY and STRONG this year, look for him to make the finals this year at 157 and probably win it. I have said it for sometime now and I just see him dominating the competition. Call me a fanboy or whatever, I do not care. I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong, and we will probably find out soon enough.

Funny thing is when Chance was a 9th grader, he beat Nick Hodgkins pretty easily, I was at the match. That same year Hodgkins hammered Alex Dierenger at Dapper Dan in a battle of number 1 vs number 2 in the country. Now Alex and Chance are team mates. Man I wish Chance was PSU's 165 pounder this year :)

Chasden, I imagine Jordan Oliver went up 2 weights instead of 1 because 149 more closely mirrors an olympic fs weight than 141.  

157 does seem like a lot to cut. And he'd be teched at that weight by James Green anyways.  

What about his back injury, shouldn't he take a year off?  

I look at  Chance and I see Cary Kolat build wise....just larger.   I wonder if Chance will experience some of Cary's frustration that surfaced when the Olympic wts were changed and he had to wrestle at a heavier wt.  He seemed to indicate it neutralized his effectiveness.  I think he will do well at 157, a little unsure he will do as well at 165 and all bets are off at 174 barring a growth spurt (upward only).

Chasden, I imagine Jordan Oliver went up 2 weights instead of 1 because 149 more closely mirrors an olympic fs weight than 141.  

157 does seem like a lot to cut. And he'd be teched at that weight by James Green anyways.  

What about his back injury, shouldn't he take a year off?  

You 100% certain about that? 

Hopefully, we get Chance and Ringer in the same line-up for two years.  What Chance decides to do as well as whether or not Collica redshirts, are the decisions I'm awaiting as a fan.  I heard that Collica's pounding the weights like a champ.

ScarletKnight,

I will give you 5 to 1 odds on the tech fall first match but you have to bet $1,000.00.........I would not predict a Marstellar win but there is NO WAY Green could even score 15 pts let alone what it would take to win by 15 pts.  Heck, I am not sold he would score 15 pts in 2 matches......

*Rule clarifications would have to be detailed prior to bet confirmation* This is also known as the "Ban Basketball Rule"

For instance: a Green win by pin does not apply(neither of us would win), UNLESS the score differential was such that the back pts would have put it at a tech fall.

Edited by MSU158

I think it is too much of a wt cut. He would be better off at 165. Remember in HS he never had to lose much weight 5lbs.

Now you are asking him to do this as an 18/19 year old and wrestle men in their 20's. Excessive wt loss especially water

wt which still seems to happen at the college level reduces your effectiveness and reduces your speed, endurance and strength.

John Smith is a pretty successful head coach.  I am not going to be the one to second guess him.  Chris Perry sure looked like an ENORMOUS 174lbr.  Heck, he even wrestled 189 in High School and 184 his first Collegiate season.  He ended up taking 3rd, 1st and 1st at 174 with some pretty stiff competition at his weight.  If Smith thinks 157 is the best weight for Marstellar, I believe him.

John Smith is a pretty successful head coach.  I am not going to be the one to second guess him.  Chris Perry sure looked like an ENORMOUS 174lbr.  Heck, he even wrestled 189 in High School and 184 his first Collegiate season.  He ended up taking 3rd, 1st and 1st at 174 with some pretty stiff competition at his weight.  If Smith thinks 157 is the best weight for Marstellar, I believe him.

Exactly this. John Smith is no slouch; I'm pretty sure he has seen his fair share of what a wrestle can and can't do. Remember, Chance isn't the first phenom to come through that room - I'm sure he's in good hands in Stillwater. If Chris Perry could be successful down a weight class from where he was in HS, there's nothing to say Chance can't be.

That being said, I wish Chance the best, regardless of what weight class he goes. 

I've seen CM wrestle since he was a kid.  He always seemed like he had some weight that could have been dropped.  He's not a lanky, super lean body type, so I wouldn't be surprised if he handles the cut just fine.  Remember, he never had to drop before because he'd be successful at whatever weight he felt like wrestling.

Remember, he never had to drop before because he'd be successful at whatever weight he felt like wrestling.

This is a great point. I would guess he was at 170 last year mainly because he could do whatever he wanted and still dominate. Didn't Angel Escobedo wrestle 135 his senior year in high school?