TBar1977

Marstellar will be at 157

"ALWAYS all around good", but against what type of competition? That may have been true in HS, but there's a big difference between elite D1 wrestling and HS competition. Just look at Chance's own career. When he went up to face college competition as a HS phenom, he went 0-2 at the Jr. trials. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he lost to Iowa's 3rd string wrestler and another backup from some other school. Many thought Chance was ready to take down the top guys, but he couldn't even beat the 3rd and 4th tier guys.

Maybe things have changed. We'll see.

I didn't know he got beat by those guys. Was he healthy? I would be very surprised (and sad) to see him come out and just be mediocre which he would be if he performed how you described. Especially since there are countless examples where kids that have much less skill than Chance end up performing way better than expected in college. 

Either way it's a valid point you make about the competition. 

I didn't know he got beat by those guys. Was he healthy?

No, he was not healthy. He had the flu and wrestled anyway. The old man knows this but loves to hate on the kid for reasons unknown. The odds are very strong that Chance will be an elite college wrestler as opposed to losing to Iowa's back ups. If he wrestles anyone from Iowa this year, I don't care who it is, I would bet on Chance. 

No, he was not healthy. He had the flu and wrestled anyway. The old man knows this but loves to hate on the kid for reasons unknown. The odds are very strong that Chance will be an elite college wrestler as opposed to losing to Iowa's back ups. If he wrestles anyone from Iowa this year, I don't care who it is, I would bet on Chance. 

Chance felt healthy enough to attend the tournament and wrestle. He wrestled two matches and was very competitive in both of them. From what I saw on the video, it was his poor technique that cost him down the stretch. He had a few scoring opportunities that he let slip away. Maybe his technique has improved since then. We'll see.

And for the record Tbar1977, I don't "love to hate" on Chance. As a matter of fact, I haven't "hated" on him even once. I have nothing against him. Being objective and not chalking up every misfortune to a physical ailment is far from hating. 

To further your point, I think Dake 'only' won states 2x, if that is what you are referring to (high school sate tourney). He got beat by Ian Paddock one year in the state finals. I thought Paddock was going to AA multiple times and that Dake was too gawky, not strong enough, and destined to get eaten alive at the D1 level. Oopsie-daisy...

Dake would have been a 3 Xer only losing to Ian... but when he was winning in the semi's as a freshman--yes winning 15-3, he got caught in the last minute and pinned.  The guy who caught him sang the Star Sp B at the NCAAs they year Dake won at 149.

Edited by leshismore

The website for this event points you to Track Wrestling, but then the event doesn't show up on the Track website. Odd. 

http://s102.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&sport=wrestling&TIM=1414948379404&pageName=&ie=false&frameSize=614

EDIT: I do not know why my link is not working, but on track it is listed as the OCU open. 

Edited by WalterWhite

http://s102.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&sport=wrestling&TIM=1414948379404&pageName=&ie=false&frameSize=614

EDIT: I do not know why my link is not working, but on track it is listed as the OCU open. 

Thanls Walter White!

Chance pinned two guys, now has Koo and, should he win that match, likely Blees for the title.

Edited by TBar1977

I am a huge Marsteller fan, but for me personally I hate that he is wrestling at 157. Too much of a cut.  So I saw he only won 5-3 in the semi's. Chance should just redshirt and wrestle 165 all year in open tourneys. Maybe he wins this tourney and gets starting job at 157, I still think its a bad decision regardless. 

I am a huge Marsteller fan, but for me personally I hate that he is wrestling at 157. Too much of a cut.  So I saw he only won 5-3 in the semi's. Chance should just redshirt and wrestle 165 all year in open tourneys. Maybe he wins this tourney and gets starting job at 157, I still think its a bad decision regardless. 

I'd have to actually see him before going that far. I figured him to wrestle 165 this year, so I was a little surprised he is going 157. Taking a wait and see approach. 

I'd have to actually see him before going that far. I figured him to wrestle 165 this year, so I was a little surprised he is going 157. Taking a wait and see approach. 

Yeah I am curious to see how he looks also. Still seeing his body type through high school, 157 seems like too drastic of a cut for him. I would rather him wrestle healthy and strong. Maybe I am wrong? I guess we will see soon.

Yeah I am curious to see how he looks also. Still seeing his body type through high school, 157 seems like too drastic of a cut for him. I would rather him wrestle healthy and strong. Maybe I am wrong? I guess we will see soon.

He isn't real tall, so maybe 157 is right. I wish the kid the very best. Even as a Penn State fan I like the kid's mad skill on the mat. If our guy isn't going to win, then it is fine by me if Chance wins. 

If the cut was too much he would have felt it earlier in the day. Not in the semis. 

Who's going to post THE thread?

Which thread??

1. Gee them Cowboys cut too much weight!!

2. PA Golden boy comes up short, even though he's been on the mat 10 minutes.

3. That John Smith sure doesn't know stuff, even though he is a legend.