Sign in to follow this  
Gambatte

Clarion Head Coach

Yes, there has been a few problems concerning Troy.  Even though the timing is bad, I think it is best for both parties.  Look for Keith Ferraro, excellent recruiter, to be elevated to Interim Head Coach very soon.  Hopefully, Bekzod will return as his Assistant Coach.

I only suspect that this announcement is accurate, so at this point, who is the most likely candidate to take over the program? Is Keith Ferraro a suitable coach, even on an interim basis? Kerry Regner remains still listed as the GA for the Golden Eagles, but I thought he took a gig at a new program in Arkansas earlier this year. What were some of the interior hurdles that Letters and his predecessors faced in making Clarion a consistent top 20 program?

I only suspect that this announcement is accurate, so at this point, who is the most likely candidate to take over the program? Is Keith Ferraro a suitable coach, even on an interim basis? Kerry Regner remains still listed as the GA for the Golden Eagles, but I thought he took a gig at a new program in Arkansas earlier this year. What were some of the interior hurdles that Letters and his predecessors faced in making Clarion a consistent top 20 program?

Regner is the head coach at Williams Baptist college in Arkansas. This will be their first year of competition.

Ferraro is the interim coach, former Purdue/UNC Greensboro standout Ivan Lopouchanski is on staff as a GA, I've heard.

Sounds as though Troy chose to leave for a better job opportunity in Allegheny county. I don't know anything about Troy's relationship with the team but some posters are pointing a finger at the AD (Katis) for lack of support. As noted earlier, a few wrestlers (three, I think) had already transfered. Their reasons, I don't know. Maybe the handwriting was on the wall.

That is two well thought of coaches from PSU that couldn't seem to wait to get out of the Clarion situation.  When Teague Moore also left after a relatively short time there some tells me there is more to the story!

Not a great look for a once proud wrestling program.

Edited by BDB50

June 2, 2011 - Moore Resigns

http://www.clariongoldeneagles.com/news/2011/6/2/WREST_0602115435.aspx?path=wrestling

July 25, 2011 - Dernlan named Head Coach

http://www.clariongoldeneagles.com/news/2011/7/25/WREST_0725110712.aspx?path=wrestling

May 15, 2012 - Dernlan Resigns

http://www.binghamton.edu/inside/index.php/inside/story/2843/matt-dernlan-named-head-wrestling-coach/

November 12, 2012 - Letters named head coach

http://www.clariongoldeneagles.com/coaches.aspx?rc=356&path=wrestling

Dernlan was head coach for about 9 months and Letters for less than two years.

There were also threads about how there were a ton of recruits leaving clarion including their natinoal qualifiers.  I see a list of ten guys leaving here but heard it was like 15 or 20 guys.  http://news.theopenmat.com/2014/06/2013-14-college-signings-commitments/

Something has to be going on in Clarion.  But aren't they getting a new gym?  Someone on another forum said the AD is pulling resources from wrestling for football or something.

That is two well thought of coaches from PSU that couldn't seem to wait to get out of the Clarion situation.  When Teague Moore also left after a relatively short time there some tells me there is more to the story!

Not a great look for a once proud wrestling program.

Teague Moore was at Clarion for five years.

Financial situations at the University aren't good in general, but nothing new or recent developments. Enrollment is down and resources are thin.

No good reason for a coach to walk out on his assistant and team a week before the season starts.

From what I know this isn't ALL on the AD, its a shared responsibility when something like this happens.

Recruits don't leave because the AD - they stay or leave because of the coach.

Athletic committee this summer recommended greater commitment of resources to 3 sports: volleyball, wrestling, football.  What that looks like in $$$$ i don't know.

Big question what do they do now?

Is wrestling fully funded at Clarion? Is this a matter of finding the right guy to run the program there? What are the alumni doing/saying? Three head coaches resigning in the space of little more than three years has to make people scratch their heads as to what's going on with this program.

Edited by Tofurky

One thing that people, administration, alumni, and wrestlers must do before Clarion can EVER move forward is leave the past behind.  What I mean by this is Coach Bubb had his era of unbelievable teams and accolades.  Congrats and hats off to this man as he will go down as one of the greatest ambassadors of the sport.  With that said, yes a new coach COULD raise the bar higher and do better, several have made the run but ran into obsticals doing so.  The past is the past, and records along with traditions are put into place to be broken and new ones made.  What I'm getting at is I think people are affraid of out doing the past, which should not be the case.  Build an empire!  I wish the best to Clarion, and I hope that they recieve the support needed to succeed and that the obsticals for making a great coach a great program (Moore, Letters) can be removed.  Teague Moore gave results, and that is a coach that Clarion and "the Past" should have been behind the entire time with support.  Yes I tip toed around my point a bit, tried to be diplomatic as not to hurt feelings, but leave the past and move forward.

Might it be a reasonable thought that these coaches all took the leap of faith based on promises of improving the $ and facilities, etc and it was not happening??  Just odd that what in most circles are believed to be quality people (coaches and wrestlers alike) leave in that short of span.

BDB50 is on to something. There has to be a Clarion insider here who knows what the larger issues are at this point in time. Everyone here knows that it is really, really hard to turn around a program that has little to no support.

From what I've heard, which is reliable information, Letters was more or less forced out. It's not my place to go into detail regarding it.

As for the program, funding hasn't been there for years. Clarion possibly has the worst facilities in the entire PSAC. But Coach Ferraro is an excellent interim hire.

Sounds as though Troy chose to leave for a better job opportunity in Allegheny county. I don't know anything about Troy's relationship with the team but some posters are pointing a finger at the AD (Katis) for lack of support. As noted earlier, a few wrestlers (three, I think) had already transfered. Their reasons, I don't know. Maybe the handwriting was on the wall.

Must have been a pretty good opportunity. The site below lists his salary as $73,000 in 2013.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/list-of-salaries-at-pennsylvania-s-state-owned-universities/article_86dea8d2-9930-5ae3-8440-d7d4b3c484b6.html

Must have been a pretty good opportunity. The site below lists his salary as $73,000 in 2013.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/list-of-salaries-at-pennsylvania-s-state-owned-universities/article_86dea8d2-9930-5ae3-8440-d7d4b3c484b6.html

or the frustration with clarion was just not worth it

I just sent an email.  We should get more people to and show their support of Clarion!

http://www.clarion.edu/about-clarion/leadership/office-of-the-president/

http://www.clariongoldeneagles.com/staff.aspx?tab=staffdirectory

good idea we cant let clarion go the way of slippery rock esu or millersville

Edited by BRGuy