Sign in to follow this  
Frank_Rizzo

InterMat Ranking WTFs

125. Nashon Garrett #9

133. Nick Arujau #12

157. Scott Winston #9

These are the ones that jump out most to me at this point.

If you are going to say that Garrett is too high, don't you also have to say that Bonanno at #10 is too high since Garrett just beat him 13-9?

The ranking that gets me is Roth. He isn't even in the line-up. Cullinan is having a good start to his season and it is as if they haven't even checked to see who is wrestling.

In defense of Roth (who AWN still has ranked as well), ranking results aren't based on wrestle offs. Cullinan has one starting spot. They both have wrestled in opens. Cullinan and Roth both lost to the same guy (Zanetta). Until there's something concrete, Roth, IMO, is the guy to rank until Cullinan gets at least a few more bouts and emerges as a clear-cut starter.

That's not as easy to gauge as you might think.

The ranking that gets me is Roth. He isn't even in the line-up. Cullinan is having a good start to his season and it is as if they haven't even checked to see who is wrestling.

In defense of Roth (who AWN still has ranked as well), ranking results aren't based on wrestle offs. Cullinan has one starting spot. They both have wrestled in opens. Cullinan and Roth both lost to the same guy (Zanetta). Until there's something concrete, Roth, IMO, is the guy to rank until Cullinan gets at least a few more bouts and emerges as a clear-cut starter.

That's not as easy to gauge as you might think.

Common opponents:

Roth def. Youtsey 5-3 at EMU Open

Roth def. Youtsey (inj default) at MSU Open. Roth was leading at the time

Zanetta def Roth 3-2 at MSU Open

Cullinun def Youtsey 1-0 at MSU Open

Zanetta def Cullinum 4-3 at MSU Open

Other key wins:

Cullinun fall over Boyle (UM)

Roth dec Eppert (Purdue) 3-2

It will be interesting to see which gets the spot, since they both are basically one in the same

157. Scott Winston #9

Why do you think Winston is so out of place at #9? Who would you rank ahead of him?

For all the flak that Winston gets, he's still a two time R12 @ 165. IMO, the 9-12 range is right where he should be.

157. Scott Winston #9

Why do you think Winston is so out of place at #9? Who would you rank ahead of him?

For all the flak that Winston gets, he's still a two time R12 @ 165. IMO, the 9-12 range is right where he should be.

think he made RD of 12 once, not twice. but agree on 9-12 range right now

I agree on Nick A. Not sure who he has ever beaten as a quality opponent and frankly he has folded a few times.

I would give Nashon Garrett some credit and watch his matches. His win over Bonnano was a nice win but his style in his other wins is very impressive. He looks like a mini burroughs (lite) with his single and double setups. Not sure he can wrestle at this pace all year but he looks to be a top 10 guy early on. He is beating D-1 kids by 8-12 pts as a RS freshman and looks to be legit.

157. Scott Winston #9

First of all - no. Winston was not a 2x R12 at the NCAA tourney. That's incorrect. He was unseeded and went 0-2 at last year's NCAAs. He did indeed make R12 in 2011 as an 8th seed, defeating only one seeded wrestler in the process in the #9 seed and completely banged-up Kerber of Cornell. In 2009, he was seeded 10th and lost to two unseeded wrestlers, including a major decision drubbing at the hands of fellow true frosh Welch.

Who has Winston EVER beaten? The guy continues to be ranked based solely on his high school accolades.

I agree on Nick A. Not sure who he has ever beaten as a quality opponent and frankly he has folded a few times.

I would give Nashon Garrett some credit and watch his matches. His win over Bonnano was a nice win but his style in his other wins is very impressive. He looks like a mini burroughs (lite) with his single and double setups. Not sure he can wrestle at this pace all year but he looks to be a top 10 guy early on. He is beating D-1 kids by 8-12 pts as a RS freshman and looks to be legit.

I haven't seen Garrett yet with my own eyes, but it would appear as though Cornell guys get the automatic benefit of the doubt in InterMat's rankings right now. One win over a quality guy in November does not a #9 ranking make methinks.

Also, Arajau has absolutely no business in the rankings at this point whatsoever.

157. Scott Winston #9

Who has Winston EVER beaten? The guy continues to be ranked based solely on his high school accolades.

11-12:

He had a 3-2 win over Bekzod Aburakmanov who finished 3rd at 165

10-11:

7-5 SV over Pete Yates of VT(5th at 2012 ncaa's)

08-09

6-5 and 4-0 over Matt Coughlin(7th at 2007 ncaa's)

6-1 over Jason Welch(6th at 2011, 4th at 2012)

These are the only wins over All-Americans and at the time of a win, only Coughlin was a former All-American. Welch was 2 years from the podium, Yates was a year away, and Bekzod was at the beginning of last season.

11-12:

10-11:

08-09

These are the only wins over All-Americans and at the time of a win, only Coughlin was a former All-American. Welch was 2 years from the podium, Yates was a year away, and Bekzod was at the beginning of last season.

Thank you for proving my point.

I hadn't heard anything about Pena. Cornell's got a glut of people right around that weight, so it is difficult to tell what will happen at this point.

I think Grey will get a fairly clear shot at 133 next year with some challengers.

So Riz, you are upset at Winston getting a #9 seed , feeling that it is way too high. You ask "who has he ever beaten?".

Someone list 5 All Americans that finished 7th or better that Winston has beaten and you say "Thank you for proving my point"

HUH?

11-12:

10-11:

08-09

Thank you for proving my point.