Sign in to follow this  
Frank_Rizzo

InterMat Ranking WTFs

I disagree JB. In my worthless opinion, Cullinan should be the guy ranked.

Cullinan has beaten two ranked opponents (Roth and Boyle, wrestle offs count, even if they don't count, its not like they didn't wrestle) and was their go to guy in the dual. Being from the area, people are saying Cullinan is going to be the starter this Saturday, but people like to talk so who really knows.

The ranking that gets me is Roth. He isn't even in the line-up. Cullinan is having a good start to his season and it is as if they haven't even checked to see who is wrestling.

In defense of Roth (who AWN still has ranked as well), ranking results aren't based on wrestle offs. Cullinan has one starting spot. They both have wrestled in opens. Cullinan and Roth both lost to the same guy (Zanetta). Until there's something concrete, Roth, IMO, is the guy to rank until Cullinan gets at least a few more bouts and emerges as a clear-cut starter.

That's not as easy to gauge as you might think.

Common opponents:

Roth def. Youtsey 5-3 at EMU Open

Roth def. Youtsey (inj default) at MSU Open. Roth was leading at the time

Zanetta def Roth 3-2 at MSU Open

Cullinun def Youtsey 1-0 at MSU Open

Zanetta def Cullinum 4-3 at MSU Open

Other key wins:

Cullinun fall over Boyle (UM)

Roth dec Eppert (Purdue) 3-2

It will be interesting to see which gets the spot, since they both are basically one in the same

In defense of Roth (who AWN still has ranked as well), ranking results aren't based on wrestle offs. Cullinan has one starting spot. They both have wrestled in opens. Cullinan and Roth both lost to the same guy (Zanetta). Until there's something concrete, Roth, IMO, is the guy to rank until Cullinan gets at least a few more bouts and emerges as a clear-cut starter.

That's not as easy to gauge as you might think.

Wrestle-offs don't count. They're not official bouts, aren't on season record forms and often have some crazy results, but they clearly don't count. Otherwise, we'd be ranking guys like Ian Paddock and James Roberts. Granted, both are decent, but they both won wrestle-offs and aren't the starter. Only difference is both those wrestlers lost in-season matches to the wrestler who beat them in the wrestle-off.

Cullinan and Roth were on pace to wrestle in the finals at Michigan State, but some guy named Zanetta beat them both, so we lost any chance to clear that up, at least for a few weeks.

I'm willing to wait and see vs. jump to a conclusion too quickly. I'd expect to see both Roth and Cullinan to get bouts this weekend in New York.

Did people rank Daniel Frishkorn as a true freshman when he pinned Johnny Thompson in the intrasquad?

And it's November ... not like it matters much right now.

Frank Rizzo=Clown

Winston is 80-22 in career and has been to 3 NCAA Championships...Won an EIWA Title...Has wins over All-Americans...has dropped down a weight class...You throw out there he was crushed by Welch in NCAA Tournament (week and half after knee surgery) but you dont mention he handled Welch in Midlands that same season...has pinned #7 @157 Dong of Virginia Tech...Is 5-1 this season with a title at Hokie Open and a 7-5 loss to #3 Fleming... No it hasnt been a great career as expected by many but to say he's ranked to high at #9 this season proves You are a Clown!

Wrestle-offs don't count. They're not official bouts, aren't on season record forms and often have some crazy results, but they clearly don't count. Otherwise, we'd be ranking guys like Ian Paddock and James Roberts. Granted, both are decent, but they both won wrestle-offs and aren't the starter. Only difference is both those wrestlers lost in-season matches to the wrestler who beat them in the wrestle-off.

Cullinan and Roth were on pace to wrestle in the finals at Michigan State, but some guy named Zanetta beat them both, so we lost any chance to clear that up, at least for a few weeks.

I'm willing to wait and see vs. jump to a conclusion too quickly. I'd expect to see both Roth and Cullinan to get bouts this weekend in New York.

Did people rank Daniel Frishkorn as a true freshman when he pinned Johnny Thompson in the intrasquad?

And it's November ... not like it matters much right now.

Not really trying to argue with anyone here but didn't some rankings have both Garrett Scott and Jake Strayer ranked for awhile?

Agreed - Rizzo goes out of his way to be a douchebag in every instance. Did he really need to post this? Ranking SW at #9 is incendiary? Not even remotely.

Has SW ever been anything but a hard working, sportsmanlike athlete who makes no excuses despite having substantial physical issues to deal with.

In the spirit of the day I'd be thankful if someone who knows who he is put a foot up his ass and down his throat - in that order.

F-ing Jackazz.

ODU's Jerome Robinson should be ranked.

top 30 or higher?

Looks like I don't have my rankings/publications right. Nothing wrong here except AWN/FLOW need to open the door. Jerome Robinson is getting better each match even though he has a banged up shoulder. Not sure why he fell out of the Intermat Rankings.

21-Nov

Jerome Robinson / 125 / Redshirt Sophomore / Toledo, Ohio

Intermat: #18

WrestlingReport.com: #19

D1CollegeWrestling.net: #24

For the record, Winston is way over ranked at #9.

He's a returning 0-2 at NCAAs with no notable wins this year and a loss. Not a top 10 guy by any stretch of the imagination

Yes, that's all I'm saying. I feel he's ranked too high at #9 at his new weight. I'm a big EIWA fan and, for the record, I hope he has his best season yet and ends up standing on the podium in March. Nothing more, nothing less. Just one guy's worthless opinion.

Agreed - Rizzo goes out of his way to be a douchebag in every instance. Did he really need to post this? Ranking SW at #9 is incendiary? Not even remotely.

Has SW ever been anything but a hard working, sportsmanlike athlete who makes no excuses despite having substantial physical issues to deal with.

In the spirit of the day I'd be thankful if someone who knows who he is put a foot up his ass and down his throat - in that order.

F-ing Jackazz.

Seems just a bit excessive for thinking a guy is over-ranked in November - wishing physical violence upon someone and on Thanksgiving no less. I note that he's ranked 11th by Flo and 14th by AWN. Like I said, I hope he does very well this season, as I do all EIWA wrestlers.

Dumb comparison, Roth is not a national champion. You can use whatever means you want to justify your rankings and Intermats rankings, but the only difference is not them losing to the same guy.

1. I don't give a bryant rear end if wrestle offs don't count toward official records. Roth and Cullinan still wrestled each other, Cullinan won.

2. Cullinan came through with a big pin in an important dual to propel CMU to a win. This tells us three things (1. Right now, he's their go to guy for duals. AKA the starter, aka should be ranked, not Roth the backup. 2. He can perform well as a starter. 3. He's good enough to be considered a top 15 wrestler.)

Does this mean Roth can't win the 125lb spot? No. It just means that the 125lb spot is Cullinan's to lose and it'll take much more than Roth winning matches for Cullinan to lose it.

You stance on official records is stupid when all you are doing is putting together some fantasy rankings.

Rankings become fantasy rankings if you don't agree where one guy is ranked?

How irrational is that statement ... it's not a national champion but the comparison is exactly the same -- previous year starter loses a wrestle-off. We don't have this argument is Boyle holds on to the lead, but we do

What about Mangrum and Roberts and Stieber and Paddock?

Sometimes you have to make an unpopular call a time or two, doesn't make them fantasy rankings because you don't agree with them.

I sent this from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

JB, Fantasy Rankings thing wasn't an insult. All rankings are fantasy rankings unless they are the sports official rankings. They are are one groups or individuals opinion about how things are based on results. Intermat, AWN, etc. all produce fantasy rankings. A better phrase is unofficial or not real. Themat.com's senior freestyle rankings would be considered official rankings, as if you needed an example.

There's no hostility. I just strongly disagree with discounting wrestle offs. As for the other wrestle offs, we've seen since then that those "former" starters are going to be the starters. If not, then the person who is 'starting' in the duals should be the person ranked. Being from west michigan, I don't follow ohio state or oregan state enough to comment on them. If I did and their situation was similar, I'd apply the same argument.