Sign in to follow this  
fullnelson

Another rule change that is quite different

Beginning from neutral, if you lock hands for a cradle in any position, two points. He can be on his knees facing you and it is 2 pts (as shown to coaches at the NWCA convention). So you no longer have to be beside him with the opponents hips on the mat, just lock up-2 points.

according to the NCAA rules clinic, locking a cradle is not considered a takedown until the hip of the defensive wrestler's hip is brought to the mat.  I haven't seen the NWCA interpretation, but this contradicts it.

I like the rule changes / interpretations in this video

I watched the above video and did not see the cradle situation discussed; surely someone reading this post who was at the NWCA convention, can verify the new interpretation. It was not the NWCA's interpretation, but Ron Beichler's(sp) NCAA version.

So, if you lock up a cradle on the mat, you have to force the opponent to his hip.

But if you lock up a cradle while standing, he only has to touch one hand.

I'd like to see the criteria applied consistently, myself.

This is stupid. By still being on your feet you risk giving up a TD that wouldn't be awarded if you are wrestling neutral on your knees. Good luck getting those who already drop to knees to stand and wrestle. Not only are they already defending/eliminating risk of opponents leg attacks, but now also requiring a higher degree of control for a front cradle to score a TD.

Did the FILA rule makers migrate? It's like rewarding the almost score. And why are we comparing a standing near side cradle with a bottom leg near cradle?

Edited by ccrider55

fullnelson, the way it was explained to us in Fort Lauderdale, if you lock up a cradle, period, he only has to touch one hand.

So what is the current interpretation?

A) the two tiers of criteria shown on the video 

-or-

B) the one hand rule, which would apply standing and on the mat

So what is the current interpretation?

A) the two tiers of criteria shown on the video 

-or-

B) the one hand rule, which would apply standing and on the mat

From neutral while standing, control is awarded when a cradle is locked up and the defensive wrestler touches the mat with a hand.

From neutral with both wrestlers on the mat, control is awarded when the offensice wrestler applies a near, far or front cradle and forces his opponent's hip to the mat.

Edited by Rakkasan91