Sign in to follow this  
NickyTheEar

2X Champ 4X Finalist Klimara to Oklahoma State

Eddie Klimara (No. #35 Recruit on Intermat) from Providence High School in Illinois is going to Oklahoma State

His is a:

4X Finalist

2X State Champion

He has won the Dvorak Tournament (32 Teams) 4 times and was a Junior National Freestyle Champ in 2010.

I have had the chance to watch him for his whole high school career. The Pokes are getting a real solid guy here who has the type of style that should do very well under Coach Smith.

Pretty negative talk about the Illinois kids. Yes, some expected more (Benefiel and White) but the former was a Round of 12er and a starter despite foregoing his final season. Albert, another starter, who bumped up to accomodate Parks (another bust maybe?) had some serious injury time (according to Coach Smith, not me) including a broken neck while wrestling at 174. Morrison, still wrestling, and starting at 125, with Austin Marsden filling in and wrestling well (D1 Tourney) for an injured Z as a true freshman, round out the "disappointing" Illinois contingent.

Hope we have more luck with him than previous Illinois recruits.

As an ole Illinois boy......I must come to the rescue on this one.

Could it be that we are leaving out some good ones ? I recall the day when Roderick was at the Illinois state finals. He was there to take a long look at a kid from a Chicago inner city HS (Tilden Tech).

The guys name ? Joe James. Each time that Joe took his sweat shirt off........the crowd went nuts. Lots of admiration for Joe and his physical build. Huge ! Absolutely ripped ! Stood 6' 2" and a cut 220. Walked at around 230 , or so. A sharp mat presence -- quick and smooth as well.

As a Cowboy Joe would move between 191 and hwt. He was a finalist a few times and did win it all one of his years at OSU.

Back to the trip that Roderick made to check out the big guy Joe ? Well, Joe placed 3rd (never got higher than 3rd). You see....Illinois had kids at hwt during that period who were freakishly tough big guys. Kristoff, an NCAA finalist & olympian. Hopp,Purdue AA. Billberg.... who is another who went on & became a D-1 AA.

So we may now understand just how big Joe did not finish any higher than 3rd at state...... in Illinois. By the way it was exactly the same situation for me.

Joe made up for not winning a state title in Illinois. Joe James was one of the very best big guys of that entire era. Myron sure could pick 'em.

Now guys, luck can include a lot of things. But it is hard to say that the two careers that are now done at OSU involved any good luck. Morrison like White may end up being more a victim of circumstance than anything else. I think he is being encouraged to stay at 125, which it looks like he is just too big to be effective at anymore. I do have high hopes remaining for Marsden.

And yes, I hope our latest Tulsa Union recruits outdo Parks as well.

It is ridiculous to say we have not had any luck with Illinois recruits. No doubt that Benefiel fell short of expectations but Albert White has been injured to the point that I think he should get a degree and go on with his life (without risking any more neck or back injuries). Morrison still has two more years. Sometimes you cannot predict what a kid will do from high school to D-1 division wrestling. Recently Texas wityh Bishop Lynch was a national powerhouse but every kid we got out of that school fizzzled at the college level (must have five that were ranked in the top 3-4 nationally). Kids that come from small schools and can be coached up several levels are the ones that are remarkable (Mark Branch from Newkirk, Jarrod Rosholt, Johnny Thompson, and a host of others).

I'm glad John is recruiting Illinois, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, as the number of talented kids from oklahoma have decreased (at least on the national scene). The Ohio Catholic schools are producing multiple great wrestlers along with Blair Academy, etc.

Now guys, luck can include a lot of things. But it is hard to say that the two careers that are now done at OSU involved any good luck. Morrison like White may end up being more a victim of circumstance than anything else. I think he is being encouraged to stay at 125, which it looks like he is just too big to be effective at anymore. I do have high hopes remaining for Marsden.

And yes, I hope our latest Tulsa Union recruits outdo Parks as well.

I don't know what the future will be for Crutchmer but I predict success. I also like his borhter to be a surprise. Parks did not develop and I really do not know why. he had two of the best on your feet coaches you can have in John Smith and Guererra (sp???). Sometimes kids cannot create an offense in their mind and can only counter. Parks never took the attack to an opponent. He would score and then step off the gas. Good kid but no killer instinct. Plus, he was never able to escape effectively in four years.

Triton College in River Grove, Illinois has supplied Oklahoma State with a few decent Illinois wrestlers over time. Some guy by the name of Tom Erickson and then another named Reggie Wilson. Others might remember this one kid, Reggie Wright. I think he might have been okay.

Congratulations to Eddie K. We would have loved for him to wrestle for the Trojan Tritons, but wish him all the very best in college.

Triton College in River Grove, Illinois has supplied Oklahoma State with a few decent Illinois wrestlers over time. Some guy by the name of Tom Erickson and then another named Reggie Wilson. Others might remember this one kid, Reggie Wright. I think he might have been okay..

Reggie Wright was a solid performer with a lot of talent who finished 4th twice at the NCAA in three tries, 1999-2001. That being said he came up short of seed all three times. After transferring to OSU as a Soph. he was 26-4, seeded 2nd and finished 4th; not bad. As a Jr. he was 38-4, seeded 3rd and finished 4th; not as bad as last year. But as a Sr. he was 31-0 entering the NCAA, seeded 1st and scored 2 points losing 8-6 to unseeded Mike Zadick of Iowa and by fall to 7th seed Jammar Billman of Lock Haven. Also, I must say that I have never been more embarrassed by the conduct of an OSU wrestler than I was of Wright after one of his losses at St. Louis in the 2000 NCAA.

Although Tom Erickson came up short in both of his years at OSU he was a class act on and off the mat as well as an amazing pinner. I can still remember a match when Tom as a grad assistant and our then heavy weight Kirk Mamman got in to an altercation on the mat with his opponent. Tom rushed onto the mat, shoved Kirk's opponent with one hand and he went flailing off the mat as Tom picked Kirk up and ran off the mat with Kirk under his arm like a toddler. Kirk wasn't a large heavyweight but a 220-240, it was amaizing.

Kirk Mamman, a four time AA, was another Illinois product. Hope his behavior wasn't embarrassing (like Wrights apparently was?) and that goes for national champ Ron Ray and runnerup, 3rd placer Jerry Kelly, additional Illinoisians.

Kirk Mamman, a four time AA, was another Illinois product. Hope his behavior wasn't embarrassing (like Wrights apparently was?) and that goes for national champ Ron Ray and runnerup, 3rd placer Jerry Kelly, additional Illinoisians.

Kirk was never an embarrassment and always a class act. I believe the altercation I was speaking of was started by his opponent.

I loved Jerry Kelly. He had one of the best inside trips I've ever seen. Kelly was a Frosh. in 1979, my first full year as a OSU wrestling fan, was not great going 13-9 and did not qualify for the NCAA but was fun to watch. As a Soph. he had a great 30-4 season which earned him the 7th seed at the NCAA. Surprisingly, Jerry finished 2nd, defeating #3 seed Ricky Dellagatta by a fall along the way. As a Jr., I don't remember why but he only had an 18-6 record but still garnered the #4 seed at the NCAA and finished 3rd. However, his Sr. year he did not compete and as I recall, he didn't make grades but I could be wrong on that. Anyway, far from a bust but it was quit disappointing not having him for his final year.

Kirk was never an embarrassment and always a class act. I believe the altercation I was speaking of was started by his opponent.

I loved Jerry Kelly. He had one of the best inside trips I've ever seen. Kelly was a Frosh. in 1979, my first full year as a OSU wrestling fan, was not great going 13-9 and did not qualify for the NCAA but was fun to watch. As a Soph. he had a great 30-4 season which earned him the 7th seed at the NCAA. Surprisingly, Jerry finished 2nd, defeating #3 seed Ricky Dellagatta by a fall along the way. As a Jr., I don't remember why but he only had an 18-6 record but still garnered the #4 seed at the NCAA and finished 3rd. However, his Sr. year he did not compete and as I recall, he didn't make grades but I could be wrong on that. Anyway, far from a bust but it was quit disappointing not having him for his final year.

when Jerry was 1st mentioned in this thread I looked him up on wrestlingstats and noticed the record his last year, seemed a little off after going 30-4 and being runner-up the year prior. Looking at it closer, he started really slowly-think he was 0-1 and then 1-2, 2-3 and 5-4 before running off around 7 in a row. Wonder if he was having trouble getting the weight down early, or maybe an injury?