Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Trip to Russian Tournaments Canceled for US Competitors

Awful and unfortunate news. Looks like a trip to the Grozny and Khasavyurt Tournaments for Jake Herbert and 7 other US wrestlers was canceled due to a terrorist attack in Chechnya's capital. Herbert relayed more details in a blog post

Terrible news for a still troubled region. 

Herbert's international comeback will be delayed and 7 other wrestlers will miss out on the valuable competitions. 

Wrestlers, I feel, are a weird bunch. I'm sure many of us have been in similar (obviously not to the same level) predicaments - I shouldn't go, but I kinda want to, anyway. Most normal people would panic, and here Jake, along with most of the rest of the wrestlers going over there, are still heads on about going. How many of us still begged coach to let us wrestle a match when we had a bone practically about to pop out of our skin? 

I love it - especially in this day and age where dedication is commonly seen as too delineative from the normal track of society in the US. 

Side note - thought it was funny that he compared Ossetia and their club/camp with the Cliff Keen Wrestling Club. Besides that, solid read, and I liked how he made it appealing to the non-wrestler. Jake's a great ambassador for the sport, and I hope we get more competitors and coaches like him that make wrestling more fun and "normal."

Yes, the tournaments are still going on.  These incidents are common.  They're born into this type of climate unfortunately.

Jake would have had some good potential goes at 86.  I know some tough dudes are going.

Safety first though.

Edited by Hubbard

He lost a close semi to Baitsaev.  He Beat Oleinik in a close quarter.   Baitsaev and Boltukaev in the finals.

Gebekov beat Israpilov decisively at 57 along the way.  He is one guy who may very well challenge Lebedev for the spot next year.  He's good.  Tuskaev the Junior World Champ got bounced early.

Guys that Herbert would have been in the mix with today:

Kudiyamagomedov

Saritov

Ktsoev (Plus the relative unknown who beat him today)

Geduev (looked pretty bad though at a heavier weight)

Pretty much Russian Nationals minus Sadullaev and Urishev.