Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Past wrestler who deserves a title

John Trenge

Jon, but as a Lehigh person I would also add Colin Kilrain (and Joe Peritore but he was just before my time)

Gimp - I would add Mike Brown too...

And since I have gotten to know Keith Ely - wished he could have AA'd.

If not for Bown and the Lieberman bros Ely would have gone down as one of the most decorated EIWA guys...

Happy turkey day buddy...

When I started this thread, I had one name in mind, but didn't mention it because I was sure someone else would - Dan Dennis has no H.S. state titles and no NCAA titles.

I knew Haze would come up, but some other great replies that I hadn't thought of. With the number of Ohio St. fans on here, I'm surprised no mention of Reese Humphrey.

from the 80s alone, a few that come to mind are Mike Mann (3 wins over Ed Banach and then loses 4-3 in finals), Joe Pantaleo (2 time runner-up, lost as senior in OT to Steve St John), John Orr (2 time runner-up, losing to Gibbons 4-3 as senior), Joe McFarland (lost to eventual world medalists Barry Davis and Kevin Darkus in finals, went on to be a world medalist himself), Junior Saunders (lost on crietria #11 to Santoro, and then a future Olympic medalist), Kevin Jackson (Alger in way and then of course the stellar freestyle career after), and Lenny Zalesky (#1 seed over Metzger 2 years in a row and lost each time in finals to Andre).

Thanks KTG119 I appreciate the thought. I'd like to add my boy Doug Wyland and John Fisher to that list!

Joe Pantaleo

From the 70's a kid named Tom Brown came so close at the University of Washington.. He had Owing in the room as a Fr. and then put together a 3 year run that was just sooooo close.. Brown was a Pinning MACHINE, with a Leg in-Far Side Cradle that was devastating.

TOM BROWN

73' @ 142#, lost to Muther 5-4 (the eventual Champ) and place 3rd.

74' @150#, Lost to Yagla 13-6, yet then beat Yagla for 3rd.

75' @ RS, and Yagla won the weight

75" @158#, Lost to Kemp in the Finals 4-0

from the 80s alone, a few that come to mind are Mike Mann (3 wins over Ed Banach and then loses 4-3 in finals), Joe Pantaleo (2 time runner-up, lost as senior in OT to Steve St John), John Orr (2 time runner-up, losing to Gibbons 4-3 as senior), Joe McFarland (lost to eventual world medalists Barry Davis and Kevin Darkus in finals, went on to be a world medalist himself), Junior Saunders (lost on crietria #11 to Santoro, and then a future Olympic medalist), Kevin Jackson (Alger in way and then of course the stellar freestyle career after), and Lenny Zalesky (#1 seed over Metzger 2 years in a row and lost each time in finals to Andre).

Thanks KTG119 I appreciate the thought. I'd like to add my boy Doug Wyland and John Fisher to that list!

Joe Pantaleo

welcome Joe...while he came out on short end, Wyland's match vs Cuvo is one of my favorite finals, that inside trip he hit...and Fisher of course one of the best to never make a final

Chad Zaputil

for sure...heck you could make a pretty good line-up of Hawkeyes who didn't win one

old weights

118 Zap, 126 Mena, 134 Melchiore, 142 Zalesky, 150 Trizzino, 158 Ryan, 167 Deanna, help me out with the bigger guys or suggest others at the lower weights...

Chad Zaputil

for sure...heck you could make a pretty good line-up of Hawkeyes who didn't win one

old weights

118 Zap, 126 Mena, 134 Melchiore, 142 Zalesky, 150 Trizzino, 158 Ryan, 167 Deanna, help me out with the bigger guys or suggest others at the lower weights...

Hand

Brinzer

Chad Zaputil

old weights

Hand

Brinzer

those will work, maybe Brooks Simpson at '90?

Chad Zaputil

old weights

Chelesvig

Slaton

Marion

Trenge runs away with this IMO. Beats the two finalists his frosh year before injury. Runs into the best college wrestler of all time his soph year in the finals after blowing away the rest of the field. Loses in the last 5 seconds his jr year in the finals and in the semis his senior after beating the eventual champ twice during the season. He wrecked people while wearing goggles. Just never got the title.

With the number of Ohio St. fans on here, I'm surprised no mention of Reese Humphrey.

Even more so perhaps Lance Palmer. He had some brutal weight classes and many wins over returning NCAA champions and those to-be including Jordan Burroughs, Dustin Schlatter, Brent Metcalf, Frank Molinaro. I can't remember if he ever beat BubbaJ Classics, but it was a pretty serious hit list.

If they didn't win one, they don't deserve one.

We are all blown away by this concept. Nobody expected a post like this.

Have to agree.....great thread!!:P And great mto see Troy Sunderlands's name included. Such a controversial(FOR psu fans anyway!) ending to his finals match with Steiner

There was a man named Lloyd Corwin who wrestled for Cornell College near the end of their "one-division" glory days. He finished second and third and beat Doug Blubaugh in the NCAA tournament. I mention him only because he is such an incredibly nice man who still loves and supports wrestling.