Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Past wrestler who deserves a title

I'll also add former Sooner Roger Frizzel who finished 4, 3, 3, 3...unfortunately he was in the same weight as Nate Carr and Kenny Monday.

Good call on Frizzle; I don't think he even made it to the Big 8 finals because of those two. IMO Roger had the best no-leg firemans I ever saw, and he was uncanny with his high spiral into a spladle.

actually made the Big 8 finals 2x...Monday was a year younger and wrestled 142 as a freshman so not a factor 2 of those years.

slightly related and just trivial info that I find interesting...Monday beats Carr 2 x in Big 8 finals only to lose in NCAAs. Then as a senior, finally rid of Carr, he loses in Big 8's...and then crushes field in NCAAs.

I think almost (almost I said) every year there is a DI champ who did not win his qualifier (mainly from the two traditional power conferences of course)

Gerry Abas

Troy Sunderland

Chad Mendes (didn't Jaggers get an Oscar instead of a plaque for winning 141 that year? :lol: )

But it did inspire a quote from Jaggers that made the rounds of Ohio locker rooms.

Can't remember the quote!

Here's some pics from that finals match in 2008:

http://tech-fall.com/2008CLG/08NCAA71.html

Gerry Abas

Troy Sunderland

Chad Mendes (didn't Jaggers get an Oscar instead of a plaque for winning 141 that year? :lol: )

But it did inspire a quote from Jaggers that made the rounds of Ohio locker rooms.

Can't remember the quote!

Here's some pics from that finals match in 2008:

[url=http://tech-fall.com/2008CLG/08NCAA71.html

http://tech-fall.com/2008CLG/08NCAA71.html[/quote[/url]]

When asked about the ankle, moments after the match:

"Losing wouldn't have healed it!"

Trenge runs away with this IMO. Beats the two finalists his frosh year before injury. Runs into the best college wrestler of all time his soph year in the finals after blowing away the rest of the field. Loses in the last 5 seconds his jr year in the finals and in the semis his senior after beating the eventual champ twice during the season. He wrecked people while wearing goggles. Just never got the title.

Didn't know all those stats, thanks for the info.

Hard to argue against Trenge being way way up there on this list

Zach Sanders

Nick Simmons

I was always a Sanders fan followed him during high school and then when I got into college, he introduced me to collegiate competition at NDSU's Bison Open with a beautifully orchestrated 16-0 tech fall (in the 3rd).

Nick Simmons was my idol, and I did a lot of moves that I watched him do. I watch him wrestle, and go back to my practice room and hit it on my teammates. If successful, I used it in matches. The spladle was my favorite.

I'm glad Sanders is graduated now though, it was hard rooting for a Gopher and being an Iowa fan.

This will turn some heads, but honestly Shane Roller of Oklahoma State.

He was a rather strange, very unpredictable wrestler. Come tournament time though, he was a force to be reckoned with. His sophomore year in 2001, he had two wins over former National Champion Kirk White (4-2 and 1-1 t.b.) and finished in third place with a win over the next year's champion Luke Becker 12-10. As a junior fell in the semi-finals to Bryan Snyder, and then ended up getting pinned in a weird scramble situation with Yosh Nakamura ending up 4th.

As a senior I thought that Roller could have won the NCAA title. Bertin beat him in the Quarters 3-1, and then went on to win the title. Roller ended up coming from behind to pin the next year's champion Matt Gentry, and then stuck the previous year's champion in just 34 seconds.

So while not everyone will agree with me, I stick to my decision that Shane Roller belongs on this list.

Dan Dennis. He had to fill in when Joey Slaton was having all kinds of issues. Not a high recruit, but worked his ass off. Was leading Ness in 2010 NCAA championship match, but was taken to his back in the final seconds.

...and I thought he handled the loss with class, as tough as it must have been to lose like that.

I'd second Mena for the same reason. If he had chosen down against Eric Guerrero- who knows?

On the Ohio State side, Reese Humphrey would have been a popular choice all around the forum. A well-liked guy, and a lot of fun to watch.

Anyone mention Cody Sanderson yet? If not it doesn't surprise me considering how much he tends to get overshadowed by a certain younger sibling....all Cody did was finish runner-up twice, with overtime losses in the finals to 3x champ/4x AA Eric Guerrero and 2x champ/4x AA Eric Juergens.

Shelby Wilson (Oklahoma State)

[*:21ybg8rp]Wrestled behind 3x NCAA champ Myron Roderick his first year. (Roderick became the head coach of the Cowboys the following year.)

[*:21ybg8rp]Two losses in college, both in the NCAA finals. One was by 11-9 to Paul Aubrey of Oklahoma, who he had defeated in the Big 8 finals.

[*:21ybg8rp]One season was curtailed by injury and Wilson anticipated receiving a medical redshirt. However, it never materialized so he tried out for the 1960 Olympics during his senior year at Oklahoma State, qualifying in both Greco and freestyle.

[*:21ybg8rp]Defeated defending world champion Vladimir Sinyavsky, among others, en route to the 1960 Olympic gold medal.

[*:21ybg8rp]Elected as a Distinguished Member of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in 1982.

Interestingly, in both high school and college, his coaches would have him drop down a weight class for the season-ending championship tournaments. This appears to have been a significant contributing factor to his losses. (He also never won a high school state championship.) Wilson started wrestling in the 7th grade and won the Olympics 11 years later. From junior high until he won the Olympics, he never lost a dual-meet match. He lost three times in high school and twice in college. He never lost at 147 pounds in any style.

(Excellent article by Mark Palmer here.)