Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Past wrestler who deserves a title

David Morgan- it was either 97 or 98 when he got stuck in the finals. I always thought he was going to win a title. Crazy that he actually started his college career at Morgan State before MSU. Jared Frayer- I was always a big fan of his. I always thought he was a very humble champion and deserved a title.

Reece Humphrey- I thought he was a lock his senior season.

Anyone mention Cody Sanderson yet? If not it doesn't surprise me considering how much he tends to get overshadowed by a certain younger sibling....all Cody did was finish runner-up twice, with overtime losses in the finals to 3x champ/4x AA Eric Guerrero and 2x champ/4x AA Eric Juergens.

I'm going to agree here. He was nails. In the 2000 NCAA's he was a wrecking ball on the way to the finals. I did not think Juergens could stop that train. This was one of those rare final's matchups: two athletes who NOT be beat. It's was low scoring, but one great match. Cody was a great wrestler.

I know he was only in one finals but does Cormier deserve a mention. Lost to the greatest college wrestler of all time. And went on to win a bronze at worlds and finish 4th at the Olympics. And I have got a feeling he might be the best fighter in the world right now.

Not CHAD Henning- Craig Henning.

And I didn't realize that taking 42-43 bad leg shots constitutes scoring manuevers-thank you for that clarification. You'd think a guy could finish ONE of those.

In other news, apparently if you are on your back, its cool to crank someone's ankle past their normal rotational limits- its a sure-fire way to win an NCAA title. In these special cases, officials don't like to penalize the cranker because its controversial.

All chad henning did was fold over and grab for stale mate in his finals match - Paulson shot 42 times

Henning got what he deserved - a solid runner up and a DNP the following season

Jake Deitchler. He was forced to retire due to concussions, but i think he would have gotten a title had he been able to continue his career. He had a win over Alton and lost 5-1 to Dake after being off the mat for almost 2 years. The sky was the limit for him, but instead it was a career cut short.

Saw he was mentioned a couple times, but definitely Mike DeAnna, Iowa, 167

3rd in 77, 6th in 78, 2nd in 79, Took a redshirt year in 80 while battling skin cancer, 2nd in 81

And I saw PRyan mentioned Cormier, good call. I was gonna add him as well. I'm guessing there's a strong possibility he may have won it at 197 that year.