Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

What schools would be your finalist as a recruit?

State law changed in Jan 2009. JoePa's salary of $1.03M was released in May 2009 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4215919).

I was under the impression that it only made information available on IRS Form 990 public (which would include highest paid employees) but that most information was still hidden from public view--unlike state employee salaries which are all public records. I have not looked into it in many years but know the Paterno salary was one of the big things that people were interested in knowing.

I thought there was a change that reverted and gave them an exemption again: http://www.pennlive.com/editorials/index.ssf/2011/11/right_to_know_law_psu_shouldnt.html

I do know that the schools are still fighting to prevent any disclosures: http://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/state_national_international/article_a5a2304c-3ab2-11e3-a35e-001a4bcf6878.html

Edited by Pinnum

1. ASU - Got a great coach, outstanding recruits, good weather, better women, and a huge campus. I'm sure the academics aren't half bad, but I don't know too much about it.

2. PSU - Everything else of ASU, but a brutal winter. I'd have to argue that the women look a lot better out here, but that's debatable, so I'll just say that they're equal. Lot more people in University Park from the West Coast than you'd think! Also, high quality academics at a (relatively) cheap price.

3. Penn - The cool Ivy League school. On-the-rise wrestling program, great academics, and in the heart of Philadelphia. Would be a bit too hard to deal with the snobs who will drive Audis and BMWs in the city when taking the bus would be faster and cheaper, but whatever. Beat the Streets Philadelphia's connection to Penn wrestlers is pretty cool - they help out a lot with the development of inner city wrestling, and to be a part of that is something you can't find at too many other places. 

4. Cornell - State school atmosphere, but with preppy clothes and great academics, and I can say that I went to an Ivy for bragging rights. Suicide rate in Ithaca is a bit too high for my taste, though.

5. Notre Dame College - Easy diploma, high level of wrestling, cool singlets, nearly guaranteed national championship rings. Would be a nice fallback school.

Depends on a lot of factors (how high a recruit I am, my families financial situation, etc.)

If I'm a Kyle Snyder type "can't miss" recruit with olympic aspirations, I'd probably want to put myself in whatever room will give me the best set of workout partners day in an day out. Right now Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota all look like great choices. This only applies if I'm absolutely the best of the best though.

If I'm looking to be a national champion, but am not quite at the level above, my top two choices are below:

1.Cornell: Great team, great resources. If my family is likely to receive a strong need based aid package, or my is no concern, this would be my choice without question. Study applied economics and management, push hard in the room and earn some hardware, then go work on wall street.

2.Northwestern: The wrestling environment and wall street connections may be a touch below Cornell's, but there are some definite advantages. Scholarships, easy access to Chicago, and the opportunity to do a "real" redshirt could all lure me Evanston. Especially the scholarship factor depending on my financial situation.

3.Stanford: Not as good of a program, but has all the same advantages as Northwestern (switch SF for the Chicago) as well as better weather and job connections.

If national champion seems like a reach:

1.Stanford: Reasons stated above. World class school, world class weather, hopefully get offered a nice scholarship.

2.Havard: Who wouldn't want to go to Harvard? Even if I don't qualify for aid the job connections would likely be worth it.

3.Princeton: Same as above, but the school has slightly less name recognition, and the location is slightly less desirable imo.

Rutgers for me, love those fat Italian women.

A word of caution about your "discussions" over at the Closed Mat:  be careful disagreeing with certain folks over there (ViseGrip was your last one), as they'll cry, go home and not want to play with mean old Buck any longer.  Once they do that, you get kicked off, and all of the merry little robots can come back and tell each other about how they're now going to bed, or opening up a box of cereal, all free from the meanie, Buck

And, no, I'm not kidding.  Notice how many suddenly disappeared?

A word of caution about your "discussions" over at the Closed Mat:  be careful disagreeing with certain folks over there (ViseGrip was your last one), as they'll cry, go home and not want to play with mean old Buck any longer.  Once they do that, you get kicked off, and all of the merry little robots can come back and tell each other about how they're now going to bed, or opening up a box of cereal, all free from the meanie, Buck

And, no, I'm not kidding.  Notice how many suddenly disappeared?

wrong forum

take your hurt feelings somewhere else

Out of curiosity, why would you never consider it?  The wrestling facilities are great!, it is basically on the beach, the weather is moderate, academically the team is expected to do well, they have several good assistants (including an Olympian), and the location is pretty good.

If I were going to wrestle in college right out of high school I'd go to a coach like Martin. It wouldn't matter if he was at ODU or at Northern Colorado. ODU is where he is so that'd be on the list.