Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Who will win the team championship this year?

2015 NCAA champion?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2015 NCAA champion?

• Iowa
    • Minnesota
    • tOSU
    • Okie State
    • PSU
    • Edinboro
    • Cornell
    • Other

Interesting to see how many of these teams will dual each other.

(4) Iowa - Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Minnesota, Penn State

(4) Minnesota - Oklahoma State, Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa

(4) tOSU - Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, Edinboro

(4) PSU - Ohio State, Minnesota, Iowa, Oklahoma State

(3) Okie State - Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State

(2) Edinboro - Ohio State, Cornell

(1) Cornell - Edinboro

Kind of surprised that so many are picking Ohio State.  Bucks have terrific talent but also question marks including:

1) Tomasello is a stud but this weight class is deep and returns almost everyone.  

2) DiJulius is unorthodox and has some nice wins but plenty of losses.  

3) Hunter moves up.  How will he handle the change in wt classes?

4) Chris Pyles loves Demas but his only signature win is over D. Alton.  

5) Martin is tough but at a loaded wt.

6) Courts has suffered a lot of injuries and has not yet displayed enough mental toughness.

7) Kyle Snyder is a beast but has not wrestled at such a low wt class in a long time.

8) Tavanello had a nice NCAA tourney but lacks size.  

In other words, I think BoJo and Logan will be fine.  Everywhere else I have some level of concern.  I think Minny and Iowa are more ready to go.

I realize you are a Buckeyes fan who is trying not to be biased, but I think you are selling Demas pretty short.  Choosing D. Alton as the signature win?  What about 4 time AA and National Champion Derek St. John? Granted, St. John probably wasn't 100 percent when that match occured.  But, go back and listen to the list CP rambled off.  Ian Miller, B. Realbuto, Zilverberg, R.J Pena.  And although it isn't necessarily a big win, I think he showed he is healthy when he defeated our University World Team representative over the summer (Ashnault).

Also, Stieber won the pan-am's this summer at 154.  I don't think 149 is going to be an issue. 

Edited by figure4

When predicting NCAA finishes I try to simply look at point scoring potential.  tOSU, clearly has the most.  The Stiebers will score 40+(I actually think 50 is more likely).  Snyder and BoJo should score 25 together and have 40 pt potential.  I know they are freshman but they really are that good.  DiJulius is top 8 at his weight, and with 133 clearing out he should score about 10 or so.  Tomasello had a great redshirt season, looked great in freestyle and showed he is right with Gilman.  Top 5 is likely and he should contribute 10+.  Courts is another fringe AA guy, who with Ruth and Sheptock leaving can contend with anyone at 184.  He should hit the podium or R12 and 5 points is a pretty low expectation.  So far that is a Low end scoring of 90 with Demas, Martin and Tavanello still able to contribute.  Between the 3, even without an AA, 10 pts total is not a high expectation. 

125: Tomasello 5th/6th 10 pts is actually kind of low for this finish.

133:  Dijulius   see above

141: L. Stieber  1st place  25 pts is the absolute lowest (barring injury) that he will score

149:  H. Stieber 4th place 15 pts is the absolute lowest I can see.

157:  Demas  2-2 R 12  3 pts is pretty low

165:  Bo Jordan  see 125 and 133

174:  See 157

184:  I think this is his year.  He will feed off the overall team talent and the possibility of all 10 qualifying.  I think is really low for him.

197:  Snyder  Does anyone really doubt how good this kid is? 15 pts is bare minimum See 149:

285:  This is the least predictable and they had a R12 here last year.  3 pts is low with higher potential likely.

What team realistically matches up?  Iowa and Minnesota are the closest but they still don't have the low end potential that I see with tOSU above.

When predicting NCAA finishes I try to simply look at point scoring potential.  tOSU, clearly has the most.  The Stiebers will score 40+(I actually think 50 is more likely).  Snyder and BoJo should score 25 together and have 40 pt potential.  I know they are freshman but they really are that good.  DiJulius is top 8 at his weight, and with 133 clearing out he should score about 10 or so.  Tomasello had a great redshirt season, looked great in freestyle and showed he is right with Gilman.  Top 5 is likely and he should contribute 10+.  Courts is another fringe AA guy, who with Ruth and Sheptock leaving can contend with anyone at 184.  He should hit the podium or R12 and 5 points is a pretty low expectation.  So far that is a Low end scoring of 90 with Demas, Martin and Tavanello still able to contribute.  Between the 3, even without an AA, 10 pts total is not a high expectation. 

125: Tomasello 5th/6th 10 pts is actually kind of low for this finish.

133:  Dijulius   see above

141: L. Stieber  1st place  25 pts is the absolute lowest (barring injury) that he will score

149:  H. Stieber 4th place 15 pts is the absolute lowest I can see.

157:  Demas  2-2 R 12  3 pts is pretty low

165:  Bo Jordan  see 125 and 133

174:  See 157

184:  I think this is his year.  He will feed off the overall team talent and the possibility of all 10 qualifying.  I think is really low for him.

197:  Snyder  Does anyone really doubt how good this kid is? 15 pts is bare minimum See 149:

285:  This is the least predictable and they had a R12 here last year.  3 pts is low with higher potential likely.

What team realistically matches up?  Iowa and Minnesota are the closest but they still don't have the low end potential that I see with tOSU above.

How is 15 pts bare minimum for Synder? The bare minimum is zero. There have been greater wrestlers than Snyder who have scored less than 15 pts at an ncaa tournament.

And how is 5th/6th kind of low for Tomasello? On what basis do you say that? Who has he beaten? 125 returns 7 AA's (8 counting Megaludis) and Gilman from Iowa, I don't see how Tomasello is a for sure AA. Then again, maybe there are some wins that I don't know about.

Edited by superold

The bare minimum is zero. There have been greater wrestlers than Snyder who have scored less than 15 pts at an ncaa tournament.

I initially agreed with MSU, but now I see that he was actually wrong and that 0 is indeed the lowest possible number of team points Snyder could score.

Let us adjust the rankings accordingly.

superold,

Put it this way, barring an OBVIOUS injury where Snyder goes to the NCAA tournament like D. Schlatter or Kirk Smith and had no business being there, I will put Snyder's over/under at 15 and let you bet me whatever you want on the under.........

I didn't say Tomasello placing 5th or 6th was low I said him only scoring 10 pts in doing so was low output for that placement.

Also, please don't be intentionally obtuse.  The bare minimum ANYONE could score is ZERO.  However, that isn't grounded in reality.  Projections are not an exact science.  They are, however, a best guess using data at hand.  It is factual to say Tomasello only lost to Gilman(close matches) last season while going undefeated as a redshirt and winning Junior Nationals.  Other than Delgado, Garrett, Gilman, Dance and Peters, who would you realistically put ahead of him?

Edited by MSU158

superold,

Put it this way, barring an OBVIOUS injury where Snyder goes to the NCAA tournament like D. Schlatter or Kirk Smith and had no business being there, I will put Snyder's over/under at 15 and let you bet me whatever you want on the under.........

I didn't say Tomasello placing 5th or 6th was low I said him only scoring 10 pts in doing so was low output for that placement.

Also, please don't be intentionally obtuse.  The bare minimum ANYONE could score is ZERO.  However, that isn't grounded in reality.  Projections are not an exact science.  They are, however, a best guess using data at hand.  It is factual to say Tomasello only lost to Gilman(close matches) last season while going undefeated as a redshirt and winning University Nationals.  Other than Delgado, Garrett, Gilman, Dance and Peters, who would you realistically put ahead of him?

I'd put all 7 returning AAs and Gilman ahead of him. Why would Tomasello be ahead of any of those guys? Sure, he went undefeated as a redshirt, but did he beat any of those guys? Why is a 5th/6th place finish a "best guess" using the data? I don't see how that projection is any more reasonable than a Rd12 finish.

Isn't Waters returning at 125? I thought he was. I'd put him ahead of Tomasello if he returns at 125, I'd also put Mines ahead of him too.

Edited by superold

As far as Tomasello goes I think he can place as high as 3rd and as low as R12.  5/6th is my middle of the road prediction.  I watched quite a few of his matches and I truly only think Delgado and Garrett are ahead of him.  I am not sure on Waters at 125 until I see him wrestle.  He took a redshirt year and wrestled at 133.  If he comes out and dominates I would put him ahead of Tomasello.  I think Tomasello is right with Gilman as evidenced by their two matches at the Junior World trials. 

Again, predictions are not an exact science but 5th/6th for Tomasello is a pretty safe assumption.

Also, instead of all the abstract responses let's type in a definitive response.  Instead of cherry picking my predictions make some of your own.

Go weight by weight and project tOSU's finish.

Edited by MSU158

Not that facts actually matter, but didn't Tomasello beat Mines last year?

Did he? If so, I may have to change my opinion in light of that fact! 

Edit: You are correct, Tomasello won 11-1. I must say I'm interested in seeing a rematch next year. I hear Mines' coach is a miracle worker. : )

Edited by superold

As far as Tomasello goes I think he can place as high as 3rd and as low as R12. 5/6th is my middle of the road prediction. I watched quite a few of his matches and I truly only think Delgado and Garrett are ahead of him. I am not sure on Waters at 125 until I see him wrestle. He took a redshirt year and wrestled at 133. If he comes out and dominates I would put him ahead of Tomasello. I think Tomasello is right with Gilman as evidenced by their two matches at the Junior World trials.

Again, predictions are not an exact science but 5th/6th for Tomasello is a pretty safe assumption.

Also, instead of all the abstract responses let's type in a definitive response. Instead of cherry picking my predictions make some of your own.

Go weight by weight and project tOSU's finish.

Edited by MSU158