Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Could/Would Cael pull a LeBron?

With the four team titles, 26 All-Americans (including 16 finalists and eight Champions) under his belt at PSU, could/would Cael take his skills back to Ames, a la LeBron and Cleveland, should the top job become available and the money is right, in hopes of recreating his success in middle America?

• Would the Iowa State fans want Cael back if the job opened up?
  • Would Jamie Pollard, Bobby D. and the Cyclone alumni base be able to persuade Cael to return to his alma mater?
  • What would need to change, if anything at all, for Cael to consider a return Ames?
  • If Cael chose to do so, and he clearly had ample success with the Cyclones as head coach, could he continue to pull in the big names from out east to follow him back to Iowa and replicate the success he's had at State College?
  • Would his reputation for success allow him to bring in those Iowa boys that seem to bleed black and gold currently?
  • Would he NEED to flip those Iowa Hawkeye faithful high school student-wrestlers to be successful?
  • If it did happen, how would his return impact the Big10 programs in that region?

Cael made a shrewd career move and is an ideal coach for PSU.  He gains nothing by returning to ISU unless it's important for him personally to go back to his alma mater.  I don't suspect that's the case but am not much of a mind reader.

LeBron returning to NE Ohio made more sense.  He traded old talent for younger, better talent (presumably...it remains to be seen how Cleveland plays) while polishing up the dents in his reputation.  

Just my two pennies. 

if cael is so great at building a program he should prove it by going to a place like back home at Utah valley or Davidson or something and building a contender

Cael has already proven that he's great at building a program. He's won the last 4 ncaa titles at PSU. I find it very odd that you believe some non ncaa title winning coaches have proven that they're great at program building, but not Cael. Care to explain why?

if cael is so great at building a program he should prove it by going to a place like back home at Utah valley or Davidson or something and building a contender

Very well said, 100% agreed. These coaches at major programs are a complete joke -- fully developed wrestlers flock to their school (no credit to the coach) and it takes absolutely no coaching skill to have success.  If Greg Popovich is such a great basketball coach why doesn't he try getting the Little Sisters of the Poor to win a state championship?  Oh right, he has hall of famer Tim Duncan and Tony Parker!!  Please, not impressed.

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by superold. View it anyway?

That's all I see too, BigRedMachine. Which made me laugh at your gif since I have no clue what was said by SuperOld. The ignore function was the best tip ever by Jason!

Edited by Pinnum

What about Cael returning to his homestate and trying to revive the Program at BYU, Utaah, Or Utah State

That would be interesting, but I don't see how he'd be able to pull kids from east of the Mighty Mississip out to Utah.

Would be a really cool and surprising move, but I don't see it occurring. Cael will be at Penn State until either

A.) they are annually out of the championship discussion and either him or the school decide to go a different direction (probably won't happen)

B.) some school (Iowa) throws a ton of money at him. (if you don't think this could happen, I would suggest ISU fans thought the same thing)

C.) Cael becomes the next head USA Wrestling coach. I also feel this is doubtful with the set up of the RTC at State College he has the best of both worlds currently. This is the most likely scenario he leaves Penn State IMO, but it is still a long shot.

That would be interesting, but I don't see how he'd be able to pull kids from east of the Mighty Mississip out to Utah.

Actually I have a friend from Manheim who wrestled for Utah St in the late 60's. A lot of folks might prefer the mountains of Utah to the plains of Iowa or OKIe. Obviously there is decent per capita talent inutah and the neighboring states. and there is california

Actually I have a friend from Manheim who wrestled for Utah St in the late 60's. A lot of folks might prefer the mountains of Utah to the plains of Iowa or OKIe. Obviously there is decent per capita talent inutah and the neighboring states. and there is california

No doubt about that, but I was thinking more about the religious aspect of Utah and a place like BYU in relation to young guys from our east who don't identify with the majority religion in Utah.

A good friend of mine, his dad wrestled at BYU in the 1960s because he was on scholarship. Being that he is not Mormon, he's often said he couldn't wait to get away from there and moved back east immediately after graduation.

No doubt about that, but I was thinking more about the religious aspect of Utah and a place like BYU in relation to young guys from our east who don't identify with the majority religion in Utah.

A good friend of mine, his dad wrestled at BYU in the 1960s because he was on scholarship. Being that he is not Mormon, he's often said he couldn't wait to get away from there and moved back east immediately after graduation.

Same guy?