I think Houdashelt is the one to beat.  He was pretty good last year.  I think Stieber vs. Houdashelt in finals this year.  I think Tsirtsis will one more title just don't think it will be this year.

I think Houdashelt is the one to beat.  He was pretty good last year.  I think Stieber vs. Houdashelt in finals this year.  I think Tsirtsis will one more title just don't think it will be this year.

Did you see Tsirtsis vs. Houdashelt at ncaas last year? I'm trying to figure out why you believe Houdashelt is the one to beat. He had a great oppurtunity to win last year, but the freshman phenom outwrestled him when it counted.

I'm also curious as to why you put Tsirtsis behind Hunter Stieber. Especially in light of Hunter's collapses at the ncaa tournament. Many have questioned Stieber's heart, I've never seen anyone question Tsirtis'. I've got to think that Tsirtis should be the betting favorite going into the season.

Hunter's collapses?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

He took 6th as a true freshman as the 5th seed.  He lost to 2x champ Kellan Russell in the semis, 3x AA and 1x Finalist Novachkov in the consi semis and went 1-1 with 4 seed Mangrum(1xAA and 3x R12), losing in the 5th/6th match.

He took 3rd as a true sophomore losing 7-6 in the semis to Mitchell Port(one of the biggest reasons you fully expect Edinboro to win the title this year!).

If the above are collapses what would you consider a minor letdown?.........................

Also, who has questioned Hunter's heart?  Can you give direct quotes?  Are the sources reputable?  How many times have you watched Stieber wrestle?  What color is his hair?  How old is he?  Is he related to Logan Stieber?  Should how he wrestled at 141 correlate to how he will wrestle at 149?

Please quote each question individually and write a paragraph or 2 for each asking several questions in return............

Edited by MSU158

Tsirtsis kind of reminds me of Kellen Russell in that they don't always look overly impressive, but they almost always win the tight matches.  I watched him in OK City last year and I think almost every match was a tight one.  Now, I agree that is a tough way to go thru these tournaments, but his record so far is pretty damn good.

I don't think Tsirtsis repeats, but at the same time it would not shock me at all if he did.  This weight is one of those weights with a lot of really good guys, and not very much separation among them.  If I had to put money on the 149 winner in October...I'd say Carter.

Maybe not collapse but the loss to Port was a big upset at the time, wasn't it? 

No more so than any 4 seed beating the 1 seed.  Port was 34-4 going into the tournament and lost as a freshman in the R-12 the year prior.  He also proved how tough he was giving Maple all he could handle in the finals.

Hunter's collapses?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

He took 6th as a true freshman as the 5th seed.  He lost to 2x champ Kellan Russell in the semis, 3x AA and 1x Finalist Novachkov in the consi semis and went 1-1 with 4 seed Mangrum(1xAA and 3x R12), losing in the 5th/6th match.

He took 3rd as a true sophomore losing 7-6 in the semis to Mitchell Port(one of the biggest reasons you fully expect Edinboro to win the title this year!).

If the above are collapses what would you consider a minor letdown?.........................

Also, who has questioned Hunter's heart?  Can you give direct quotes?  Are the sources reputable?  How many times have you watched Stieber wrestle?  What color is his hair?  How old is he?  Is he related to Logan Stieber?  Should how he wrestled at 141 correlate to how he will wrestle at 149?

Please quote each question individually and write a paragraph or 2 for each asking several questions in return............

In 2012, Hunter came into the ncaa tournament as the 5th seed. As you already know, he lost to a lower seeded wrestler in Boris Novachkov (6th seed). He also lost to Michael Mangrum in the wrestlebacks after he beat him earlier in the tournament. Keep in mind that Hunter also beat Kellen Russell on the year. When it was time to rise to the occasion, Hunter came up short. He proved that he was capable of beating guys on that level during the season, so there's nothing wrong with expecting him to win at ncaas. He lost 3 matches he was very capable of winning. He lost 3 consecutive times at the ncaas, with two of those losses coming to guys that he had already beaten before. Imo, that's a collapse.

In 2013, Hunter came into the ncaas as the #1 seed. Did he finish 1st? Nope. He placed two places lower to finish 3rd. This, of course, was the second consecutive year that Hunter placed below his seed. Outside of his dissapointing loss to the lower seeded Mithcell Port (fellow sophmore), I believe that Hunter also underperformed vs the #9 seed Richard Durso. As I recall, Hunter needed late match heroics to eek out a win against a non AA. Many people were expecting much more from Stieber. Imo, he didn't at one point look like the best wrestler in that bracket, and that shouldn't be the case since he was the #1 seed. 

Hunter Stieber has 4 total losses in 2 ncaa tournaments. Both years, I saw people picking him to be a champion. There are more than a few people out there who believe that's 4 more losses than he should have. Even if you disagree with that, I think the fact that he hasn't wrestled to seed both of his years at the ncaas is worthy of being called a collapse. I know that I'm not alone in that.

Edit: Yes, I've heard people question Hunter's heart at the ncaas. And I would definitely say that these sources were reputable. 

Edited by superold

Did you see Tsirtsis vs. Houdashelt at ncaas last year? I'm trying to figure out why you believe Houdashelt is the one to beat. He had a great oppurtunity to win last year, but the freshman phenom outwrestled him when it counted.

I'm also curious as to why you put Tsirtsis behind Hunter Stieber. Especially in light of Hunter's collapses at the ncaa tournament. Many have questioned Stieber's heart, I've never seen anyone question Tsirtis'. I've got to think that Tsirtis should be the betting favorite going into the season.

I am a big Tsirtsis fan, kid is solid and is a stud.  His big ten tournament was impressive as well last year.  Just a hunch on Houdashelt, seems like he is the one no one is talking about.  Seems Stieber, Carter and Tsirtsis getting most of the talk.  Any of the top 8 could win this weight.  Tsirtsis deserves to be the betting favorite for sure, hope he does it again.  Kindig going to be tough as well.  Sueflohn, Habat, Sorenson would not surprise either.  Great wt class.

I am a big Tsirtsis fan, kid is solid and is a stud.  His big ten tournament was impressive as well last year.  Just a hunch on Houdashelt, seems like he is the one no one is talking about.  Seems Stieber, Carter and Tsirtsis getting most of the talk.  Any of the top 8 could win this weight.  Tsirtsis deserves to be the betting favorite for sure, hope he does it again.  Kindig going to be tough as well.  Sueflohn, Habat, Sorenson would not surprise either.  Great wt class.

You're right. 149 should definitely be very interesting this year.

In 2012, Hunter came into the ncaa tournament as the 5th seed. As you already know, he lost to a lower seeded wrestler in Boris Novachkov (6th seed). He also lost to Michael Mangrum in the wrestlebacks after he beat him earlier in the tournament. Keep in mind that Hunter also beat Kellen Russell on the year. When it was time to rise to the occasion, Hunter came up short. He proved that he was capable of beating guys on that level during the season, so there's nothing wrong with expecting him to win at ncaas. He lost 3 matches he was very capable of winning. He lost 3 consecutive times at the ncaas, with two of those losses coming to guys that he had already beaten before. Imo, that's a collapse.

In 2013, Hunter came into the ncaas as the #1 seed. Did he finish 1st? Nope. He placed two places lower to finish 3rd. This, of course, was the second consecutive year that Hunter placed below his seed. Outside of his dissapointing loss to the lower seeded Mithcell Port (fellow sophmore), I believe that Hunter also underperformed vs the #9 seed Richard Durso. As I recall, Hunter needed late mpatch heroics to eek out a win against a non AA. Many people were expecting much more from Stieber. Imo, he didn't at one point look like the best wrestler in that bracket, and that shouldn't be the case since he was the #1 seed. 

Hunter Stieber has 4 total losses in 2 ncaa tournaments. Both years, I saw people picking him to be a champion. There are more than a few people out there who believe that's 4 more losses than he should have. Even if you disagree with that, I think the fact that he hasn't wrestled to seed both of his years at the ncaas is worthy of being called a collapse. I know that I'm not alone in that.

Yes, you are alone. And you are a douchebag. Probably the guy who wiped the mats after practice because he couldn't make the team. Did she really say yes to the math club prez over you for prom? I know this is the hoped for response for a pudwacker living in mommy's basement but even some trolls ad a scintilla of reason.

And then there's you...there are a lot of bright posters here but the allowance of "people" like this jerk is why this once very good forum is dying.

Yes, you are alone. And you are a douchebag. Probably the guy who wiped the mats after practice because he couldn't make the team. Did she really say yes to the math club prez over you for prom? I know this is the hoped for response for a pudwacker living in mommy's basement but even some trolls ad a scintilla of reason.

And then there's you...there are a lot of bright posters here but the allowance of "people" like this jerk is why this once very good forum is dying.

No, I'm not alone. Maybe you wish that I'm alone, but I'm not. If that bothers you, there's not much that I can do for you. RSabich, let's please keep this civil. All I want to do is talk about wrestling. That's it. I don't mean to cause anyone harm.

I'd appreciate it if you could stay on topic. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the topic. Please feel free to share.

To say Hunter collapsed in either NCAA appearance is absurd. 6th as a TRUE frosh and 3rd as a soph=success. His 1 seed was not really deserving IMO that year and i believe it put too much pressure on him. He stopped having fun and did have a couple poor performances but they were NOT collapses. A collapse would have been going from 1 seed to a 7th place finish. Not losing a 7-6 battle and then destroying your way to 3rd place.

You have absolutely zero sources, reputable or otherwise. So please just stop with the "im not the only one" routine. You dont even know any reputable wrestling minds personally, they wouldnt be associated with you. Those types have a knack for weeding out the posers...sorry but you are never going to be one of those minds. The more you post the worse you look.

With Carter losing to Logan last year in the finals, and a possibility he could wrestle Hunter in the finals this year (obviously depending on how the season/tournament shakes out), I pose the following question:

Has any wrestler ever faced two brothers in separate NCAA finals??  

Pardon me if there is some glaring, obvious example of this happening.  I can't think of any though off the top of my head.

149 lbs may be the most competitive weight in college this season.  There are a number of wrestlers who are legit contenders for the title but no favorite at this time.  Stieber, Kindig, Carter, Tsirtsis and Houdashelt are all tremendous competitors and there are several others only a step behind them.  Incidentally, Superold's argument is mostly dumb but he is correct about one thing:  Hunter, by his own admission, wrestled tight at NCAA's as a soph.  Once he got the loss to Port out of the way, however, he whipped two quality wrestlers to finish a strong third.   Most of the time, that's who he is.  And he won Pan Ams this summer.  He'll be ready.