Sign in to follow this  
RichB

Pa Catholic school wrestlers must forfeit togirls

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/30/us-usa-pennsylvania-wrestling-idUSKCN0HP2IF20140930

Curious if  any other states' Cath schools have this requirement.

Obviously, a big deal as made about the boy fft to the girl at States in Iowa a couple years ago. Has he done "anything" since.

I gather Texas does not allow girls and boys to compete, but most of the boys teams schools also have a girls team. I know Wash state has girls championships, but I think most girls compete on boys teams for duals.

California and Hawaii? Elsewhere?

thanks

There is no separate Catholic title in Pa, There is a Catholic school league in Pa District 12 (11 teams, Philadelphia city (Actually about half the Catholic schools are in the city) The district Championship is produced by the top 4 from the Catholic league vs the top 4 from the top 4 Public (including charter schools). Expect there to be 2-5 weightclasses in that district where the clear 4 best guys are from the Catholic school. In that case a girl coming from the Public school league in 4th place will win the district by 3 forfeits.

Very unlikely, but not impossible she would get thru regionals to states There about 15 other Catholic HS with wrestling scattered in the state. very unlikely that a girl gets to states, but.

I think it is possible that had Bethlehem Catholic had not declared up to AAA, a coach might have tried to recruit 4-6 girls to win a dual over them at state duals    

the out of state(non-delaware) teams at Beast are pretty strong. I would be suprised if there even 3-4 girls among those schools. But all Del schools are invited maybe 3-4 girls there. Still not enough to keep them(beca) from.attending. Same logic applies to the other ind tournies they enter. Of course they should not see many girls in the dual meet league, and then on the weaker teams

Outside of D12(see above) more likely to be a problem for AA 

Pirate, The sloppy reporting of pennlive/Patriot made it look like a Harrisburg (mainly district 3) pronouncement, but the link shows it was from the archbishop-the Archdiocese - the entire state.

An interesting thought came to mind from your post though. A couple of Catholic schools, Pottsville, shamokin, Berks(reading). Greensburg co-op with public schools. I would guess that means they fft as well

I was a pa wrestler growing up. Wrestled many girls but went to public. The catholic school close to my public school had a club team with girls and boys on it bit no girl was on the school team. Not sure if the school team had to fft their guys to the girls. Doesn't really make sense to me

Wrestling is a combat sport.  A non-striking sport, but a combat sport regardless.

We would never allow teenage boys and girls to compete against each other in boxing, taekwondo, or any other striking sport, yet for wrestling this is somehow acceptable.

About 10 years ago, I was coaching in Florida during the District tournaments.  A young female wrestler was drawn against the returning state runner-up in the first round.  To the credit of the returning runner-up, he treated his female opponent with the same respect as he treated all of his opponents - he quickly took her down, ran a bar and far side one-on-one, anchored her head with a figure-four/triangle choke, and knocked her out cold while pinning her.

Fairly or unfairly, when a female high school wrestler gets badly hurt wrestling a male opponent - and it will happen, just as young men get badly hurt - the rest of the world is going to be shaking their heads and pointing their fingers at the wrestling community and asking, "What were they thinking?" 

....scary stuff those silly Catholics!

I'm not offended by this comment, but I have to wonder why it seems okay to publicly take shots at Catholics, but nearly no other groups?

Leshismore is the defender of nearly every group he ever perceives as being slighted, but I'm not surprised he let this go by unchallenged.

Pretty bigoted statement.

I also saw a young girl make it to the NY State finals. What was she "thinking"?

New York?  High school?  (This is a high school forum, after all.)  

Any proof?  A lazy Google search didn't turn up anything on my end.  

Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.newyorkwrestlingnews.com/news_article/show/363790?referrer_id=1024554

I have no problems with kids wrestling each other.  But, post-puberty, the adults - the "they" I was referring to in my original post regarding "what were they thinking" - have to step in and act like adults and do what's best for the safety of these teenagers as a whole.  (Strangely, when a random boy wants to join a non-contact girls high school team, like the field hockey team, they are often restricted.  I wonder why?)

BTW, the states with the most girls participating in high school wrestling are those that sponsor girls-only championships.  If we want to grow the sports with girls - and I do wholeheartedly want to see girls wrestling grow - we will do so by allowing more opportunities for girls to wrestle other girls, not boys.

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcawebsite/women/womenshistory.aspx

About 25 years ago I wrestled for a Catholic high school in Fl.  At that time is was rare to see a girl wrestle, but it did happen.  At one tournament I had a girl in my weight.  My school had forfeited to girls in the past.  My coach explained to me that the policy had changed and it would be my decision.  I understood that win or lose I would be hearing a lot of comments from my teammates, classmates and possibly fans.  I would be critically judged either way.  My coach made me think about this possibility before making my choice.  I told him I would not be forfeiting. As it turned out I never had to wrestle her because she lost in an earlier round.  

Last year I saw a similar situation occur.  The wrestler told the coach he did not want to wrestle a girl and ( per the kid) was told if he did not he would be letting his team down.  The boy got beat by the girl.  The young man was not prepared to deal with this and lost his composure.  He refused to shake hands and was DQed from the tournament for his behavior. In the aftermath I had the chance to talk with the young man and learned there were extenuating circumstances in his background that explained his conflict and subsequent behavior.  

I agree that wrestling is a combat sport and I have always had issues with girls wrestling boys.  At the same time I feel that girls have the right to compete if there is not a girls program.  No one had a problem with the girl in the little league world series. I feel if the boy is properly prepared by his coach and given the choice things will work out. 

I am all in favor of separate programs for girls. But the PIAA will not approve such until a couple dozen schools have such teams. The Archdiocese had the perfect opportunity to begin such competition by encouraging their schools to form such teams. Admittedly, many of the parochials are just as financially squeezed as most public schools, but there are at least 4-6 with almost unlimited funds. I can think of a few public schools whose size and finances would allow them to field a girls team on a couple days notice. Although most public schools need to begin by going the co-op route.

But until the Texas/California route is practical, I could see the State of Washington route. A few girls teams, but many more boys teams girls on them. Then a separate state tournament for girls. (for now I could see 8 weight classes run for girls on Wednesday of states. Heck we have a Pink Finals Mat   

My understanding is that girls have made state finals, possibly a championship or two in Mass, W Va, Alaska maybe elsewhere.Not New York. I did see a couple of years ago a girl in New York had a great regular season against boys like 30-4, (not including ffts). But never heard of later results

I see people talking a lot about lawsuits by girl wrestlers for injury or complaints of a sexual nature, But eye balling the numbers, there have been likely on the close order of 100,000 actual varsity HS matches involving a boy and a girl, over the last 25 years

Outstanding Wrestler Award - Alex Ekstrom (PM)

Championship Final (1st)

96 -  Jacob Goddeau (Peru) > Carlene Sluberski (Fredonia), DEC 7-2 103 -  Arik Robinson (Peru) > Colton Dalberth (Marion), DEC 4-0 112 -  Kyle McGregor (Tonawanda) > Kyle Crisafulli (Phoenix), DEC 2-0 119 -  Matt Peters (EA) > Quinton Murphy (Holley), DEC 4-0 125 -  Nick Wilcox (Greene) > Sean Walton (PM), DEC 6-4 130 -  Derak Heyman (Tioga) > Genta Murayama (Edgemont), DEC 8-6 135 -  Alex Ekstrom (PM) > Ian Paddock (Warsaw), DEC 4-3 140 -  Kyle Dake (Lansing) > Mike Nevinger (Letchworth), DEC 2-1

I take it that was 2009. Interesting that this did not get the national publicity of the girls in the other states. The Mass girl was shown on evening network news (2012?). Maybe this was national news when I was at PIAA or NCAA.. Three other names on that scorebook show that this was a far from insignificant achievement, not like being runner-up in a state tournament of 16 schools 

FWIW, if you don't want girl's wrestling the boys in HS, then you need to support girls wrestling as a stand alone sport in your states. If You do not get this enacted then the girls.... via Title IX..... have the right to wrestle. It's a simple as that. Several states have done just that. Until you have your states enact that - and generally speaking when other states have done this the amount of girl wrestlers increased to where they actually have their own legitimate state tournaments - then you have to put up with situations such as this. It's not going to change.

Not supporting or not supporting the debate as a whole, I have long since caring about this part of the sport, but I do have a lot of knowledge about it and am just pointing out the landscape.  

I'm not offended by this comment, but I have to wonder why it seems okay to publicly take shots at Catholics, but nearly no other groups?

Leshismore is the defender of nearly every group he ever perceives as being slighted, but I'm not surprised he let this go by unchallenged.

Pretty bigoted statement.

Let's keep the trolling to a min.