Sign in to follow this  
vsnej

Wrestling PTSD

I am in a very bad mood, edgy, irritable, I am 10, 12 pounds over and weigh ins are this afternoon

Then I wake up in a cold sweat and realize it’s just a dream - hallelujah!

Have not wrestled competitively in decades yet I will have this reoccurring dream (nightmare?) maybe once a year

...can you dig it?

...I knew that you could

I've never mentioned this before, but I would get nightmares about my final match pretty much every night for over two years after it happened. I was basically consumed by my thoughts and regrets. I started drinking heavily as a coping mechanism. Even after the nightmares ceased, I had about another two years where it would cross my mind at least once a day and fill me with emotions. I'm being dead serious about this too.

i often have dreams where i am back in high school and unprepared and Coach Molinaro scolds me by telling me that I had all the prerequisites to lead young me on to the field of sport, but that i wasted my potential. then my crazy uncle tells me at dinner that i never had the makings of a varsity athlete, even though i nearly made all county. later, that same crazy uncle would shoot me in the stomach, and while i recovered in the hospital i dreamt i was HVAC salesman from Arizona. 

Wow...

there really is wrestling ptsd

BigRed - hope you are fine now

teach - national anthem has an effect on me too

Jaroslav - that’s some crazy sh$t, hope you recovered too

I had this dream a few weeks ago and shared it with my son who wrestled much longer and better than I ever did

He told me he also has these dreams - but we both had a nice hearty laugh after concluding waking up from such dreams can be euphoric

i often have dreams where i am back in high school and unprepared and Coach Molinaro scolds me by telling me that I had all the prerequisites to lead young me on to the field of sport, but that i wasted my potential. then my crazy uncle tells me at dinner that i never had the makings of a varsity athlete, even though i nearly made all county. later, that same crazy uncle would shoot me in the stomach, and while i recovered in the hospital i dreamt i was HVAC salesman from Arizona. 

HAHAHA! I love to Sopranos reference, well done Jaroslav.

And congrats on being all county.

I get these too, but mostly about what could have been, had I just not "choked" in my last high school match.

They have faded with a perspective change, as I'm into coaching, but I get them about coaching situations where I could have said something, or changed something that would have been much more beneficial to the kid.

I also get them about college (not for wrestling).  The scenario is that I have graduated, or that I'm about to graduate, when I realize that I've missed a low level class that is not offered regularly.  The other is that I'm nearly through with a semester, only to find out that I have not attended any sessions of a certain class and I'm not going to pass. Terrifying.

Great topic.

PM

I get these too, but mostly about what could have been, had I just not "choked" in my last high school match.

They have faded with a perspective change, as I'm into coaching, but I get them about coaching situations where I could have said something, or changed something that would have been much more beneficial to the kid.

I also get them about college (not for wrestling).  The scenario is that I have graduated, or that I'm about to graduate, when I realize that I've missed a low level class that is not offered regularly.  The other is that I'm nearly through with a semester, only to find out that I have not attended any sessions of a certain class and I'm not going to pass. Terrifying.

Great topic.

PM

ha, in additon to the 'I have only x amount of time to cut weight' nightmares others have mentioned, I also have the college thing, much like yours. I dream sometimes that I have a final and I haven't been to the class all semester so I don't even know where to go for the exam.

I have this exact dream, and yes it is indeed terrifying, one of the worst feelings you can have - sheer panic.

In my wreslting dreams I am always my current age (40 and 185-190) but there are two forms:

1) I have to make my high school weight (112 or 119) In the dream nobody seems to notice or care that I am obviously not 119 lbs but am a chubby, balding 40 year old. Horrible anxiety.

2) I enter one of my high school tourneys at my old weight, and make the finals. I dominate in the final but as the match nears its end, I suddenly realize that I am a 185 lb 40 year old. Again, nobody but me seems to notice anything unusual throughout the match. I then have the same horrible anxiety through the medal ceremony waiting for someone to catch on to the charade.

ha, in additon to the 'I have only x amount of time to cut weight' nightmares others have mentioned, I also have the college thing, much like yours. I dream sometimes that I have a final and I haven't been to the class all semester so I don't even know where to go for the exam.

Just enter a PhD program and the past will fade into mist.

I have this exact dream, and yes it is indeed terrifying, one of the worst feelings you can have - sheer panic.

In my wreslting dreams I am always my current age (40 and 185-190) but there are two forms:

1) I have to make my high school weight (112 or 119) In the dream nobody seems to notice or care that I am obviously not 119 lbs but am a chubby, balding 40 year old. Horrible anxiety.

2) I enter one of my high school tourneys at my old weight, and make the finals. I dominate in the final but as the match nears its end, I suddenly realize that I am a 185 lb 40 year old. Again, nobody but me seems to notice anything unusual throughout the match. I then have the same horrible anxiety through the medal ceremony waiting for someone to catch on to the charade.

1) is pretty much what I have. somehow I'm back in school with a year of eligibility left, but at current weight (well north of 119) and so on.  

Variations on the dream - 

I am in the lineup of my high school team at my current 43 years

I am back in living in the dorm and haven't gone to any classes with finals approaching (but in the back of my mind I realize I already have my degree!)

My favorite is that I am back at my old busser job at a restaurant and that everyone in the place left at once and we have 50 customers waiting to be set down; it is a stupid dream but as a teenager it is unnerving to be faced with a **** ton of work with no help

I had the college-missing-class-with-finals-approaching dream last month. I guess I made enough of a fuss in my sleep that it woke up my wife and she then woke me up from the dream. I remember thinking, "man, I am happy that I woke up from that mess."

Come to think of everything, I don't know that I've ever had a wrestling dream in the same respect.

When I was coaching, I used to get psyched for my guys who made the finals of a big tournament. A lot of those feelings (anxiety, excitement, etc.) were very similar to what I remember experiencing when I competed.

several versions for me, always in college:

a: I am an hour or so out from weigh-ins and realize I am way over because I forgot to cut weight

b: I forgot my (socks, singlet, shoes) am panicking and don't want to tell the coach

c: I have eligibility that  was unexpected and I show up at a tournament to compete

I never get to the mat and do the actual wrestling

My dream is I am wrestling the tournament of my life - some unnamed all-star sort of national tournament (it's a dream), beat people who were the favorite over me, and then in the finals I lose to a guy who I had never lost to before, and beat handily everytime. It is a recurring dream..... hate that dream.

The other dream is I am my current age, but it is somehow okay that I am wrestling for the HS team, way over weight, but somehow think I can make a specific weight, and I always wake up before I wrestle a match. It is a variation of a dream that I have where I am in HS, haven't shown up to many classes, don't even know where my classrooms are, occasionally I find one and it is like "who are you", and I have to somehow pass everything at the end of the school year..... and in my dream at the end it occurs to me that I have not only graduated from HS, but have a Masters degree.

Dreams are weird.

Edited by sgallan

Yeah....

that's why I am in a state of euphoria when I wake up

Yeah....

that's why I am in a state of euphoria when I wake up

Mine is more, what the heck, I graduated in the dream, and relief when I wake up.

Great topic.

Edited by sgallan

I am releived that I am not alone. I have several recurring dreams:

• I am on company business in Vegas, and completely forgot that I was supposed to wrestle while I was there (something like Cliff Keen Invitational). My coworkers are at the blackjack tables and I'm walking through in a singlet asking if they want to watch. Then I realize that the brackets are filled with my bosses and employees, which is really awkward. My boss has never had to cut weight before and asks me if I can help him.
  • I"m about to talk to the coach before weigh-ins but I forgot to make weight.  I wake up in a complete sweat. And for just a brief moment, before I  realize it's all a dream, I'm so relieved that I'm sweating and can't wait to get up and step on a scale.
  • I forgot to wear a singlet onto the mat, so I just have shoes and boxers for some reason. My coach is yelling at me and my opponent is now pointing out that I'm also barefoot.  He's right. My shoes are gone. I hear the TV commentators are commenting but I can't remember what they say. For some reason, the spectators are indifferent that I'm dressed inappropriately. Then I am told to put on the mascot's uniform.  In another version, I go to the student store to get some clothes and end up folding t-shirts at Abercrombie & Fitch with no shirt on. In yet another version, I tell the ref I have to use the restroom, and I wake up -- apparently wearing exactly what I was wearing on the mat.